United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-12-2017, 02:34 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

The Big Man not getting replaced by Mou before bringing Rashford through is an especially important moment for modern United
And Will Keane getting injured

Unread 09-12-2017, 05:23 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

Unread 09-12-2017, 06:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Can't mention that pal, spoils the narrative.

Unread 09-12-2017, 07:03 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
is no fun gaffer of his walking football team then?
Weird that for all the emphasis lvg gave to blooding youngsters, he still built the team around wayne Rooney. Accommodated him in every way posssible despite the whole world seeing how poor the Roo was. Pretty sure he probably wouldn’t have chosen to accommodate him ordinarily but he clearly struggled to impose himself within that dressing room, was openly disliked/disrespected and ultimately proved to be incredibly weak.

Thank god we don’t have that problem anymore.

Unread 09-12-2017, 07:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Can't mention that pal, spoils the narrative.
Yes, the narrative that young players always got their chance is spoiled by another young player also getting a chance. Proper narrative buster that, pal.

Rashford would not have got that chance under 90% of managers. Shame people remain too stubborn to admit that.

Unread 09-12-2017, 07:51 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Yes, the narrative that young players always got their chance is spoiled by another young player also getting a chance. Proper narrative buster that, pal.

Rashford would not have got that chance under 90% of managers. Shame people remain too stubborn to admit that.
I think the point being made is that he replaced mata with a youth player that has sunk without a trace. No prizes pal for giving failure a chance.

Did he promote youth? Of course he did. Is that Yardstick by which we rate managers? No.

Unread 09-12-2017, 07:56 PM
utd99

Van Gaal was our Souness.

Unread 09-12-2017, 07:56 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
I think the point being made is that he replaced mata with a youth player that has sunk without a trace. No prizes pal for giving failure a chance.

Did he promote youth? Of course he did. Is that Yardstick by which we rate managers? No.
“Point being made” It’s Saffers just still being hung up on LvG months after he would have retired anyway.

Whether said player has sunk doesn’t matter. The commitment to young players getting a chance is a great quality. Without that approach Lingard and Rashford, our only two regular academy players in the current first team, wouldn’t be here

Unread 09-12-2017, 07:57 PM
andyroo

Powell? Freggle promoted him. We had some ridiculous number of players out and Powell was a senior list player.

A punt from the youth squad could've done better than Powell maybe... like when Martial was crocked in the warm-up and someone put Rashford in. For instance.

Unread 09-12-2017, 08:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
A punt from the youth squad could've done better than Powell maybe... like when Martial was crocked in the warm-up and someone put Rashford in. For instance.
Only because we “had to” pal. Don’t forget that.

Obviously if Zlat, Lukaku and Martial were injured right now we’d see an 18 year old striker drafted in from the academy on Sunday. That would “have to” happen, too.

Unread 09-12-2017, 08:12 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
“Point being made” It’s Saffers just still being hung up on LvG months after he would have retired anyway.

Whether said player has sunk doesn’t matter. The commitment to young players getting a chance is a great quality. Without that approach Lingard and Rashford, our only two regular academy players in the current first team, wouldn’t be here
And it’s you, responding defensively whenever that period is mentioned.

But I agree with you - a great quality and one any manager of united should be alive to. But it’s only ever part of the job and not that big a part if truth be told.

Unread 09-12-2017, 08:12 PM
20 times

Holicaust of a match

Unread 09-12-2017, 08:13 PM
utd99

Zlat and Lukaku would never have signed in the first place had we not binned the Dutch has-been.

Unread 09-12-2017, 08:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
And it’s you, responding defensively whenever that period is mentioned.

But I agree with you - a great quality and one any manager of united should be alive to. But it’s only ever part of the job and not that big a part if truth be told.
I let loads go, pal. Saffers and Utd99 mention LvG more than Mourinho on here. This just felt like a good thread to set a few things straight

Building for the future is a huge part of running a football club. Mourinho inheriting Rashford and Martial due to such commitment to long term planning is something very worthwhile. It’s certainly a lot better than LvG inheriting a past it Rooney and RvP tied down to expensive contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Zlat and Lukaku would never have signed in the first place had we not binned the Dutch has-been.
Oh no.

Unread 09-12-2017, 08:19 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Oh no.

Erm I mean

Unread 09-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Sparky***

Jesus christ. Round and round and round we go...

Unread 09-12-2017, 08:27 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
I let loads go, pal. Saffers and Utd99 mention LvG more than Mourinho on here. This just felt like a good thread to set a few things straight

Building for the future is a huge part of running a football club. Mourinho inheriting Rashford and Martial due to such commitment to long term planning is something very worthwhile. It’s certainly a lot better than LvG inheriting a past it Rooney and RvP tied down to expensive contracts.

Oh no.
Don’t disagree - the club’s a mess, has been for ages and long term, we could end up just throwing cash around like the oil club’s currently do.You’ll remember how castigated I was for questioning United’s academy a couple of years ago and pointing to the huge investment city were putting into theirs. It was a reference to how shite our long term/succession management was. I’m confident city’s investment will pay off sooner rather than later whereas we appear to be a reactive club good at promoting our brand but a bit clueless everywhere else.

That said, I think a manger like mou is right for now just to arrest the decline - but behind him should be a club preparing for the next manager and the one after that. Get the feeling we are only looking at new brand opps though

Unread 09-12-2017, 08:28 PM
utd99

Quote:
Oh no.
I’d suggest you actually re-designate yourself as a Van Gaal supporter rather than United and follow whoever he managed instead, but in lieu of the fact that no one in Europe takes him seriously enough to hire him any longer maybe Tony Pulis might be more to your liking?

Unread 09-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Oh no.

Unread 09-12-2017, 08:30 PM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Jesus christ. Round and round and round we go...
Some proper loons on here
Closed Thread