United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
its all good saying that but when its really mattered this season we have been less than convincing.

needed a draw at home to liverpool to more or less seal the title and look what happen?

the next week the champions of england and europe were outplayed at fulham and then went on to need the intervention of a 17 year old youth team player to beat sunderland and villa.

we havent got alot of players who can stand up and be counted?

carrick,berbatov and park arent going to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and win us the game.
its in rooney and ronaldos hands really. i hope they both show up.
United always play better with a definite purpose in mind. ie - going for the win

We are capable of winning. Whether we will or not is another question entirely

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:10 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
yes we've £#%&!ed up too many CL Q/F 2nd legs this season already

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:24 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Porto are a good team, albeit not quite as good as they were last season (when they won their league with ease and I thought were very unlucky to get knocked out of CL by Schalke, with Manuel Neuer having an absolutely phenomenal match), but we're much better. And despite the terrible performance in the first leg, particularly in a first half which Porto completely dominated, we still came very close to getting the win. So I see no reason not to feel confident tonight.
Yeah, that performance from Neuer was one of the best goalkeeping efforts I've seen over the last few years.

Porto are vulnerable defensively, particularly in the full-back areas, although Cissokho is starting to look the part; funnily enough, it's often said that Bruno Alves is their only quality defender. Helton is also a weakness in the sense that the big occasion often gets to him; he's generally good for most of the season but tends to save his £#%&!-ups for the big stage. Keeping the front three and Lucho quiet will be difficult, especially on our recent defensive form, but we're more than capable of scoring two or three goals tonight.

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:27 PM
MUFC One Love

After they scored the 2nd I thought we was out. But I'm very optimistic now, they were good but I think we helped make them look that good, we was awful yet still controlled most of the 2nd half. And after seeing what looks like our team tonight, that I'd have picked, I'm very confident

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
After they scored the 2nd I thought we was out. But I'm very optimistic now, they were good but I think we helped make them look that good, we was awful yet still controlled most of the 2nd half. And after seeing what looks like our team tonight, that I'd have picked, I'm very confident
I'll tell you what is awful.

Your command of the imprefect tense of the verb 'to be'

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:32 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina

what's the imprefect tense?

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:33 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina

Sorry mate, I understand punctuation and grammer is at the front of everyones mind tonight mate, especially before such a big game.

p.s #@&%!

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
what's the imprefect tense?
only used in public schools

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Torquemada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArmy99
offical team for tonight:

vds
Oshea
Rio
Vidic
Evra
Carrick
Anderson
Giggs
Rooney
Berbatov
Ronaldo
If that's true then I'm lobbing all my vcash on a win. Anderson to score finally aswell...

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:39 PM
hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Sorry mate, I understand punctuation and grammer is at the front of everyones mind tonight mate, especially before such a big game.
I like what you did there

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:42 PM
hopkins

Do I watch it at home, with the guinea pigs for company, or go to the pub full of ABUs?

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins
Do I watch it at home, with the guinea pigs for company, or go to the pub full of ABUs?
Same choice here. Apart from the guinea pigs. And it being my home not yours.

Not that similar really I suppose. Oh well the choice will soon be made.

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:45 PM
armchair

I'm leaving the guinea pigs at home after the last incident.

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Porto are vulnerable defensively, particularly in the full-back areas, although Cissokho is starting to look the part; funnily enough, it's often said that Bruno Alves is their only quality defender. Helton is also a weakness in the sense that the big occasion often gets to him; he's generally good for most of the season but tends to save his £#%&!-ups for the big stage. Keeping the front three and Lucho quiet will be difficult, especially on our recent defensive form, but we're more than capable of scoring two or three goals tonight.
Agree with all that really. Cissokho tactically isn't particularly good, and I don't think his overall defensive level is all that, but physically he's great - speed, strength, and above all stamina. Allows him to make a huge number of attacking runs in every match. He's also pretty good at helping in the offensive pressing when the ball is lost. Decent crosser too.

And Bruno Alves is a fine player; I particularly like the aggression that he plays with, and despite what the £#%&!-up for the Rooney goal might suggest, I think his quality on the ball is good too. Arguably the best centre back in Portugal at the moment for me - although there are some younger players with a lot of potential, as you well know!

Personally, I really like the way that Porto play overall, and have done for a few years now. Quick defence-attack transitions (with Lucho as the reference point), great movement from their front players, a focus on attacking down the flanks, and a lot of hard work as a team unit - lead from the front by Lisandro.

And speaking of Porto last season, what do you reckon will happen with Quaresma in the summer? Amazing how he's tanked

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:54 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Agree with all that really. Cissokho tactically isn't particularly good, and I don't think his overall defensive level is all that, but physically he's great - speed, strength, and above all stamina. Allows him to make a huge number of attacking runs in every match. He's also pretty good at helping in the offensive pressing when the ball is lost. Decent crosser too.

And Bruno Alves is a fine player; I particularly like the aggression that he plays with, and despite what the £#%&!-up for the Rooney goal might suggest, I think his quality on the ball is good too. Arguably the best centre back in Portugal at the moment for me - although there are some younger players with a lot of potential, as you well know!

Personally, I really like the way that Porto play overall, and have done for a few years now. Quick defence-attack transitions (with Lucho as the reference point), great movement from their front players, a focus on attacking down the flanks, and a lot of hard work as a team unit - lead from the front by Lisandro.

And speaking of Porto last season, what do you reckon will happen with Quaresma in the summer? Amazing how he's tanked
What I found surprising was how quickly Mourinho got rid. With all Adriano's problems, Mourinho has still shown a desire to restore him to his old form, obviously without success. Quaresma's attitude is so hopeless that Mourinho seemed to give up on him about a month after paying that huge fee for him.

I remember thinking Porto had pulled off a typical masterstroke in selling Quaresma for 20m odd and getting Rodriguez (who I really like) for less than a third of that. Pissing Benfica off was a nice added bonus for them too. As for Quaresma, Atletico have a long-standing interest - wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up there, on loan probably.

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Withers

Feeling pretty confident, especially after seeing the team.

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:55 PM
waynes ear's

great

£#%&!ing anderson starts

Van der Sar, O'Shea, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Anderson, Giggs, Carrick, Ronaldo, Berbatov, Rooney

Unread 15-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Arguably the best centre back in Portugal at the moment for me
There aren't many people who could make that statement to be fair.

Unread 15-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

a best XI from the portuguese league would have how many non-Porto players in it?

Unread 15-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
What I found surprising was how quickly Mourinho got rid. With all Adriano's problems, Mourinho has still shown a desire to restore him to his old form, obviously without success. Quaresma's attitude is so hopeless that Mourinho seemed to give up on him about a month after paying that huge fee for him.
Well, he really was pure shit. Shockingly bad. And the 4-3-3 didn't work for Inter at all, which meant a switch back to the Roberto Mancini style 4-3-1-2, and thus no real place for a winger like Quaresma or Mancini. (Although if either player had performed this might have been different...) Adriano at least fit into the Inter system.

Last summer was basically a complete £#%&!-up by Mourinho overall. Will be very interesting to see what kind of licence he's given in the transfer market this year as a result.
Quote:
I remember thinking Porto had pulled off a typical masterstroke in selling Quaresma for 20m odd and getting Rodriguez (who I really like) for less than a third of that. Pissing Benfica off was a nice added bonus for them too. As for Quaresma, Atletico have a long-standing interest - wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up there, on loan probably.
Yeah. I like Rodriguez too, although I did think that Quaresma would be a miss for them. Atleti would probably be a good fit, particularly given their lack of balls and poor level of defensive application
Closed Thread