United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
Ah, I'd say weeman might have some bone to pick with you about "zero top level experience", the lad has been excelling against the likes of Spain for Northern Ireland.

I'm not a Rio basher, I just think there should be a time when you move on a senior player to give the right quality prospect a chance. We could perhaps hold on to Wes Brown indefinitely, as long as Vidic is there, I doubt we'll have any trouble at centre-half anyway.
He has played a couple of games for Northern Ireland, at full back.

He has played 12 games for Sunderland.

He has played no games for United.

Forgive me if I don't think he will be ready to take the responsibility of marshalling our defence any time soon.

As good as Vidic is, he needs someone alongside him to talk him through games. I don't think a 19/20/21 year old will be up to the task of playing their own game AND keeping the rest of the back four in check. I'd leave him at Sunderland next year, if they go up, and let him have a season against top teams, week in, week out. But even then I can make a fair guess he won't be ready for our first-choice 11.

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:57 AM
MUFC One Love

Selling Rio is £#%&!ing ridiculous.

Unread 03-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Terry Silver

Getting rid of him and putting in Evans would rival the Stam/Blanc fiasco for stupidity.

Unread 03-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Selling Rio is £#%&!ing ridiculous.
That's the long and the short of it. Rio's best years could well be ahead of him, as he seems to have struck up a real understanding with Vidic. The only issue I see with the defence in the near future is Neville. He's been brilliant this season, but he won't be around forever. With that in mind, talking about selling Rio is even more ridiculous. Between the pair of them they basically organise our defence.

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
celtbion

I've always like Juventus' approach to transfers. They are more than willing to sell a player for the right price when they're sure the overall development of the squad will be enhanced by the move.

We have two or three outstanding young centre-halves at the club, someone is going to have to make way. I would rather we sold Ferdinand when we can still get a major fee for him. It's just plain sensible. The only problem with selling Stam was replacing him with Blanc. The principle of selling a slowing centre-half with his best years behind him for £16m was sound.

Unread 03-04-2007, 01:16 PM
rebelcountyred

I'd like evans to have another season on loan at sunderland, especially if they make it to the premiership, playing week in week out there would give him the experience he would need to step up to playing for united, very confident about evans, could be a fantastic player for us.

Unread 03-04-2007, 01:22 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
I'd like evans to have another season on loan at sunderland, especially if they make it to the premiership, playing week in week out there would give him the experience he would need to step up to playing for united, very confident about evans, could be a fantastic player for us.
Yes, but I suspect the idea of having him occupying the squad spot currently filled by Wes Brown or Miki Silvestre would appeal to the accountants.

Pique might be brought back straight away instead though. Has been playing at a higher level and can fill in in midfield as well.

Unread 03-04-2007, 01:36 PM
dunk

Why do we never use long term loans for our young players?

Rossi could sign for a club on loan for 3 years. He would have the stability of knowing where he is going to be rather than the upheaval of moving all the time, the club he signed for would be more willing to play him, unlike Newcastle, we could watch his progress and either bring him back or sell him. All the while, his value goes up and his experience increases, which are to our benefit.

It would work with players who obviously need top level football and time before they are ready for United.

Richardson would've benefitted far more from staying at West Brom for the last two years rather than languishing in our reserves...

...and yes, I know we would have benefitted far more from Richardson being anywhere rather then here.

The Italian and Spanish clubs seem to utilise this idea.

Unread 03-04-2007, 11:17 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodzy
Brandy, Catchart, Hewson were brilliant

Galbraith shone late on and Wellbeck was fantastic when he came, i'm convinced he was the one fergie was on about.
Thought Hewson was fairly quiet last night, and Galbraith was one of our best players, along with Welbeck.

Unread 03-04-2007, 11:24 PM
rebelcountyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Thought Hewson was fairly quiet last night, and Galbraith was one of our best players, along with Welbeck.
i'd agree with you there, certainly didn't let the occasion overawe him and rose to the challenge, good temperament for a youngster, just wonder about his lack of pace for a winger.

Unread 03-04-2007, 11:28 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
i'd agree with you there, certainly didn't let the occasion overawe him and rose to the challenge, good temperament for a youngster, just wonder about his lack of pace for a winger.
Yeah, he looked excellent on the ball and whipped a great cross for the winner

Was very impressed with the lad.

Unread 03-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
basically thought the whole team bar Chester and Cathcart froze. brandy got £#%&!ed over by the officials. And it wasn't until the Fagan chance just past the hour that we started to play a bit.

Once we scored we took over the match and it was a cracking show by all the team, Galbraith and Chester being the pick. Hewson looked class again to me, even if he was quiet for the first hour.

Unread 03-04-2007, 11:51 PM
celtbion

I don't know about Hewson. One of the oldest players in that Utd team and I can't say he looked in the same class as last year's youth team. Does have good energy and work rate but you need more than that.

Unread 03-04-2007, 11:53 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
basically thought the whole team bar Chester and Cathcart froze. brandy got £#%&!ed over by the officials. And it wasn't until the Fagan chance just past the hour that we started to play a bit.

Once we scored we took over the match and it was a cracking show by all the team, Galbraith and Chester being the pick. Hewson looked class again to me, even if he was quiet for the first hour.
Yeah, they were a bit static at the start, and when they went down 1nil, i really couldn't see them scoring 2 goals, never mind 3 0r 4, but they showed excellent spirit and really showed great determination to get back into the game.

Thought Brandy was quite poor and never really got going for most of the game, which surely is down to his physical frame.Saying that, once he got the goal, he settled down well and really got into it and finished the game quite well.

Was very impressed with Gailbraith as the game went on, with Cathcart looking very impressive as well.

Unread 03-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Part 36 Offer

As i said on another thread, arguably the most impressive thing about Cathcart is that he consistently performs at a very high level. Very rare for someone so young.

Unread 03-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
I don't know about Hewson. One of the oldest players in that Utd team and I can't say he looked in the same class as last year's youth team. Does have good energy and work rate but you need more than that.
You're kidding me; the two volleys he hit showed technique and confidence; the deception, imagination and quality in that reverse ball for Galbraith for the winning cross was superb; his run, control and composure to set up Brandy's goal showed his football brain. Wasn't his best form, but his general play was good as well.

Don't forget that Arsenal were 1-0 up and physically stronger than United, and that United in general weren't at it all over the pitch for an hour.

In the first leg Hewson was quality, and some of his finishing this season has been top notch.

I am a fan. He will make it

Unread 04-04-2007, 12:17 AM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
You're kidding me; the two volleys he hit showed technique and confidence; the deception, imagination and quality in that reverse ball for Galbraith for the winning cross was superb; his run, control and composure to set up Brandy's goal showed his football brain. Wasn't his best form, but his general play was good as well.

Don't forget that Arsenal were 1-0 up and physically stronger than United, and that United in general weren't at it all over the pitch for an hour.

In the first leg Hewson was quality, and some of his finishing this season has been top notch.

I am a fan. He will make it
I missed the end of the game but I've seen plenty of Hewson this year.

Nope, sorry, I don't quite get it.

He could make it mind, but only as a Nicky Butt.

You really think he's in the same class as Gibson for example?

Albeit, he doesn't suffer from Gibson's disturbing lackidaisacal (sp.?) side.
Closed Thread