United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-05-2014, 09:48 PM
The Return of JC

It's aaaaall just %@#$&!s. They don't know a £#%&!ing thing.

It may seem like stating the obvious, but if people are going to insist on believing every little thing on twitter and articles with no substance whatsoever. ....

Unread 22-05-2014, 09:51 PM
djsst

Unread 22-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
He just wasn't told who they would be signing, and he'd even officially find out when the news broke at a press conference, like everyone else. My point being that this was a Director at the club, not some third party supplier, but a fully fledged Director. If someone in his position didn't know about an imminent deal, one that was getting signed off, how the £#%&! is Martin Keown or Jan Age @#%&!chops gonna know
The answer to the last question is simple - the club tells them, off the record, because for whatever reason, they want the news/agenda etc leaked (as we saw with Moyes firing). Clubs have used the media forever in this way.

A Director in charge of player housing doesn't need to know in advance, and telling him isn't going to do the club any good. Granted, HIS life might be easier if he could get to work on securing housing sooner, but I doubt they care about that.

Unread 22-05-2014, 09:54 PM
armchair

Who wouldn't want to join the most exciting project in world football? Done deal.

Unread 22-05-2014, 09:58 PM
wonky no

anyone else think the £200mil might have been said to encourage renewals like the giggs appointment, seeing as we're not in the champions league?

Unread 22-05-2014, 09:58 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
The answer to the last question is simple - the club tells them, off the record, because for whatever reason, they want the news/agenda etc leaked (as we saw with Moyes firing). Clubs have used the media forever in this way.

A Director in charge of player housing doesn't need to know in advance, and telling him isn't going to do the club any good. Granted, HIS life might be easier if he could get to work on securing housing sooner, but I doubt they care about that.
I get what you're saying, but at the same time I'd hazard a guess that at least 50% of what the press report is happening, in terms of players we are supposed to be signing, is based on rumours and bullshit. As for Twitter, don't get me started.

Unread 22-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Rhodzy

Unread 22-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
anyone else think the £200mil might have been said to encourage renewals like the giggs appointment, seeing as we're not in the champions league?
£200m my £#%&!ing arse.

We've probably got a fair wedge to spend, probably something in the region of about £70-80m but it's utterly £#%&!ing pointless having it if we're going to waste our time chasing after players at clubs who are currently far higher in the pecking order than us.

Going after players at Bayern or Barcelona is just foolish. We should be smarter than that, we should be looking to get someone like Reus in from Dortmund or the Chilean lad from Juve who are probably both on peanuts compared to what they could earn at United, plus their clubs wouldn't turn down serious money.

Unread 22-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
I get what you're saying, but at the same time I'd hazard a guess that at least 50% of what the press report is happening, in terms of players we are supposed to be signing, is based on rumours and bullshit. As for Twitter, don't get me started.
Oh for sure. The vast majority is nonsense.

Unread 22-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
£200m my £#%&!ing arse.

We've probably got a fair wedge to spend, probably something in the region of about £70-80m but it's utterly £#%&!ing pointless having it if we're going to waste our time chasing after players at clubs who are currently far higher in the pecking order than us.

Going after players at Bayern or Barcelona is just foolish. We should be smarter than that, we should be looking to get someone like Reus in from Dortmund or the Chilean lad from Juve who are probably both on peanuts compared to what they could earn at United, plus their clubs wouldn't turn down serious money.
This. The club wants to flex it's muscles on the grand stage but as per usual is going about it in the wrong way.

Unread 22-05-2014, 10:07 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Oh dear
+1

Unread 22-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Grimson

Quote:

It does seem strange. It's like the club have suddenly decided that nothing but world stars from the biggest clubs will do, as if that's all United fans have ever been used to. Just get good players ffs, ones that will improve us. Vidic and Evra are two of the biggest success stories of the last couple of decades - who had ever heard of them when they signed?

Unread 22-05-2014, 10:11 PM
wonky no

Quote:
£200m my £#%&!ing arse.

yup.
non of it makes any sense. the hype around how much coin we have to spend, the clubs we are 'in talks' with, the specific names we're still linked with despite having 3 managers ( fergus was looking at kroos too, wasnt he?). it all smacks of desperation, of being seen to be doing the right thing. i'm not convinced.

Unread 22-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
It does seem strange. It's like the club have suddenly decided that nothing but world stars from the biggest clubs will do, as if that's all United fans have ever been used to. Just get good players ffs, ones that will improve us. Vidic and Evra are two of the biggest success stories of the last couple of decades - who had ever heard of them when they signed?
The funny thing is they honestly couldn't have picked a worse time to adopt such a policy! When, over the course of the last 20 years, has the club ever looked as un-appealing as it does right now?

Unread 22-05-2014, 10:14 PM
doudou

Quote:
Take your point about Vidic but Evra was an established player who'd fallen out with his club (a bit like Barthez). I suppose he wasn't that well known internationally because he was behind Lizarazu for France, but he had played in the CL final 6 months previously.

Unread 22-05-2014, 10:17 PM
RedMenace

So we're signing Schweinsteiger instead then, excellent.

Unread 22-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
Take your point about Vidic but Evra was an established player who'd fallen out with his club (a bit like Barthez). I suppose he wasn't that well known internationally because he was behind Lizarazu for France, but he had played in the CL final 6 months previously.
Along with Akis Zikos and Jerome Rothem.

My point being he wasn't a high-profile player, he kind of signing made to satisfy fans' demand for big names, which is the strategy some of these approaches seem designed to do.

Unread 22-05-2014, 10:19 PM
doudou

Quote:
Jerome Rothem.

Rothen was quite a big star in France at that time, believe it or not..

Unread 22-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou

Rothen was quite a big star in France at that time, believe it or not..
You're not really hearing me.

Manchester United aren't in France.
Closed Thread