United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 17-08-2014, 10:08 AM
S/Side.Red

Well that was pretty shit, wasn't it?

The lack of cohesion was to be expected really but I was disappointed at the lack intensity from the early stages. Low pressing and the defenders were playing it direct from the start. The introduction and use of Fellaini was the most concerning part of the afternoon, though.

I expect we'll buy some players in the next week or two, which unfortunately now will look more like panic stations.

We'll get better, though.

Unread 17-08-2014, 10:26 AM
djsst

Quote:
The home side created almost nothing. Ander Herrera, pursued for so long and finally bought for £24m, was a huge disappointment in midfield. The Spaniard provided no drive or attacking invention and even some of his routine short passes went astray.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/...chester-united

No mention of Fletcher though . How long does his free pass because of illness last.

Unread 17-08-2014, 10:26 AM
vangaalsbigballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Well that was pretty shit, wasn't it?

The lack of cohesion was to be expected really but I was disappointed at the lack intensity from the early stages. Low pressing and the defenders were playing it direct from the start. The introduction and use of Fellaini was the most concerning part of the afternoon, though.

I expect we'll buy some players in the next week or two, which unfortunately now will look more like panic stations.

We'll get better, though.
Not sure by how much. Rooney, mata looked very slow and ponderous. Add RVP into the mix and not sure how it will work. The only player who looked sharp was januzaj but then how do you accomodate him in 3-5-2 (if LVG wants to still persist with it).

Unread 17-08-2014, 10:27 AM
vangaalsbigballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
The second half was like he'd found one of Moyes's glossy planning sheets lying around and thought he'd give it a try.
fellaini for herrera while fletcher was left on the pitch to stink out the whole place was very concerning.

Unread 17-08-2014, 10:38 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangaalsbigballs
Not sure by how much. Rooney, mata looked very slow and ponderous. Add RVP into the mix and not sure how it will work. The only player who looked sharp was januzaj but then how do you accomodate him in 3-5-2 (if LVG wants to still persist with it).
Mata will come under pressure playing like that. I was surprised Kagawa didn't come on to inject some pace into the ball circulation.

But we will get better. I remember Guardiola's start at Barca was very poor. Beaten by Numancia on the first day of the season and then drew 1-1 at Camp Nou with Racing. This after losing at Wisla Krakow in the CL qualifiers. They wondered if they'd made a mistake.

Long way to go and it takes time to turn a club upside down. We need players, but there's still much work to be done in training too.

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:00 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
The introduction and use of Fellaini was the most concerning part of the afternoon, though.
Imagine if Moyes had done that
£#%&!ing hell that was bleak wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsst
No mention of Fletcher though . How long does his free pass because of illness last.
Fletcher was terrible.
So negative & his distribution was piss-poor.

..No tempo to the play at all.
Did Fergie really say Jones could go on to be Uniteds greatest ever player btw or did I dream that??:shakehead:

No pace, very little quality & all over the place at the back. Good signs.

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:07 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Imagine if Moyes had done that
£#%&!ing hell that was bleak wasn't it?

Fletcher was terrible.
So negative & his distribution was piss-poor.

..No tempo to the play at all.
Did Fergie really say Jones could go on to be Uniteds greatest ever player btw or did I dream that??:shakehead:

No pace, very little quality & all over the place at the back. Good signs.
Fellaini on when Kagawa is on the bench

Tbf I liked Jones's attitutde and maybe the best part of a shite game was one of his challenges, on Montero who is absolutely rapid but Jones caught him up and cleaned him out. Really hoping that of all the numpties at the back he's the one LvG really brings on.

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:13 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Fellaini on when Kagawa is on the bench

Tbf I liked Jones's attitutde and maybe the best part of a shite game was one of his challenges, on Montero who is absolutely rapid but Jones caught him up and cleaned him out. Really hoping that of all the numpties at the back he's the one LvG really brings on.
Jones is one of the least of my worries too tbh but I think his distribution is shocking. Fergie's comments were £#%&!ing insane though

Yeah, surprised Kagawa didn't come on...for Mata (who I didn't even notice was playing until about 70 minutes in) ... the tactic of Blackett launching it onto Fellaini's offside bonce for the last 10 minutes was earth shatteringly depressing.

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Wart Chest

Playing Nani and Fellaini was surely about keeping their value up and helping us get them out of the door.

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart Chest
Playing Nani and Fellaini was surely about keeping their value up and helping us get them out of the door.
One should of been shown the door years ago and one should never been offered the open door.

First game of the season isn't a £#%&!ing eBay auction for driftwood FFs...

It was madness, bringing fellaini on to lump balls up to... Because it worked against Valencia ? It goes against everything out club should be about..

Disgusting.

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:23 AM
vangaalsbigballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
One should of been shown the door years ago and one should never been offered the open door.

First game of the season isn't a £#%&!ing eBay auction for driftwood FFs...

It was madness, bringing fellaini on to lump balls up to... Because it worked against Valencia ? It goes against everything out club should be about..

Disgusting.
Nani was given a 5 year contract last year at high wages. Will be incredibly difficult to shift unless united offer very favourable terms for the buying team. He has already rejected couple of offers despite being told he is not part of the plans apparently.

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Nani was given a 5 year contract last year at high wages. Will be incredibly difficult to shift unless united offer very favourable terms for the buying team. He has already rejected couple of offers despite being told he is not part of the plans apparently.
I know, thanks.

He shouldn't have been offered such a deal. More driftwood..

vangaalsbigballs

blackett gave the ball to swansea so that they could take a quick free kick (for their 2nd goal). Incredibly stupid that lad

vangaalsbigballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
I know, thanks.

He shouldn't have been offered such a deal. More driftwood..
nani and anderson will both get testimonials

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:29 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
nani and anderson will both get testimonials
I actually hope that happens just for Carlos reaction

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
I actually hope that happens just for Carlos reaction
Might buy him a ticket. Not sure he'd see the funny side though.

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:31 AM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Might buy him a ticket. Not sure he'd see the funny side though.
a joint Testimonial for the pair of them...guard of honour, the lot.

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
a joint Testimonial for the pair of them...guard of honour, the lot.
12k pack old Trafford....

Against St Mirren

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:36 AM
dunk

Quote:
blackett gave the ball to swansea so that they could take a quick free kick (for their 2nd goal). Incredibly stupid that lad
Young is what he is.

It's amazing how often we find ourselves punished for these small errors. We seem to get away with £#%&! all.

Unread 17-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Whip Hubley

St Mirren? He'll be lucky to get KFC Select XI.

What has it come to :shakehead: