Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 19-05-2024, 09:50 PM
thatsfuctit

Rai getting mistaken for Keane

Unread 20-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
Remember that win v Arsenal where he had Vieira in his pocket? Loved Phil.
Yep. Said himself, it was the best game he’d ever played, then… penalty. Probably was a pen, definitely rby today’s standards but that @#%&! Elleray… loved dishing out red cards to United (Irwin at anfied) and penalties against

Just finished the last episode. Hard to be critical of Ferie but that £#%&!ing mf what on earth was he thinking? Blomquist, himself practically admitted being daunted by the occasion but maybe it worked in the end, they became a touch complacent just as we reverted to more like our regular formation.

Christ… 25 years ago

Unread 20-05-2024, 08:28 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell View Post
Yep. Said himself, it was the best game he’d ever played, then… penalty. Probably was a pen, definitely rby today’s standards but that @#%&! Elleray… loved dishing out red cards to United (Irwin at anfied) and penalties against

Just finished the last episode. Hard to be critical of Ferie but that £#%&!ing mf what on earth was he thinking? Blomquist, himself practically admitted being daunted by the occasion but maybe it worked in the end, they became a touch complacent just as we reverted to more like our regular formation.

Christ… 25 years ago
I tell you what, if that was the plan all along then genius doesn't come £#%&!ing close

I'd love to see some of today's prima donna's on the end of the sort of tackling you could get away with back then

Unread 20-05-2024, 08:36 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
I tell you what, if that was the plan all along then genius doesn't come £#%&!ing close

I'd love to see some of today's prima donna's on the end of the sort of tackling you could get away with back then
I’m sure it wasn’t quite t plan but wtf? If he was so determined to play Blomquist, why didn’t he just play: Giggs - Blomquist - Butt - Beckham? Or play Johnsen in place of Blomquist and Berg alongside Stam? It might’ve saved us the last minute drama but we’d never change it now, I don’t think

Unread 20-05-2024, 09:18 AM
History

Quote:
I’m sure it wasn’t quite t plan but wtf? If he was so determined to play Blomquist, why didn’t he just play: Giggs - Blomquist - Butt - Beckham? Or play Johnsen in place of Blomquist and Berg alongside Stam? It might’ve saved us the last minute drama but we’d never change it now, I don’t think
The Arse seeing at 1-0 in the Match thread would have been great

Unread 20-05-2024, 10:13 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Berg was injured.

Only recall 2 teams being teased in the build up to the game (media of course)

The team we got:

Schmeichal

G Nev Johnsen Stam Irwin

Giggs Butt Beckham Blomqvist

Cole Yorke

or

Schmeichal

G Nev May Stam Irwin

Beckham Butt Johnsen Giggs

Cole Yorke

The first half we were terribly overrun in midfield, Jeremies and Effenberg were having a field day. In hindsight Johnsen would have been a better option on mf so Blomqvist (who was a complete passenger) could sit it out.

Looking back (I mean we won so why change it etc etc) I think even Sheringham in CM would might have been better next to Butt so Blomqvist didn’t play.

May alluding he expected to play is horseshite from him though. He was 4th choice CB at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
The Arse seeing at 1-0 in the Match thread would have been great
there it is”. < - - - Sparky after Basler scored

Unread 20-05-2024, 10:52 AM
magic_cantona

Into episode 2.

Welled up at least 4 times so far.

What an era.

Unread 20-05-2024, 11:03 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Berg was injured.

Only recall 2 teams being teased in the build up to the game (media of course)

The team we got:

Schmeichal

G Nev Johnsen Stam Irwin

Giggs Butt Beckham Blomqvist

Cole Yorke

or

Schmeichal

G Nev May Stam Irwin

Beckham Butt Johnsen Giggs

Cole Yorke

The first half we were terribly overrun in midfield, Jeremies and Effenberg were having a field day. In hindsight Johnsen would have been a better option on mf so Blomqvist (who was a complete passenger) could sit it out.

Looking back (I mean we won so why change it etc etc) I think even Sheringham in CM would might have been better next to Butt so Blomqvist didn’t play.

May alluding he expected to play is horseshite from him though. He was 4th choice CB at the end of the day.

there it is”. < - - - Sparky after Basler scored
Didn’t realise Berg was injured. Still, we probably had better options than Blomquist, with hindsight, of course

The fk for their goal was soft with their player doing most of the pushing. Our wall was bobbins though.

Unread 20-05-2024, 12:30 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

If Keane and Scholes were fit, we'd have won that game 3-1 or something. Bayern were a top side but we should have beaten them away that season of not for Schmikes individual errors. The home game wasn't a good indicator due to it being the last game of the group and a draw suiting both parties.
We were a much better side than them

Rewatched the final in full during lockdown and we weren't dominated half as much as people like to pretend we were.

The tactical switch in the last 10 was a much truer reflection of how the game would have gone with a full compliment.

These European finals with these cruel suspensions are a killer man

Unread 20-05-2024, 12:52 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
If Keane and Scholes were fit, we'd have won that game 3-1 or something. Bayern were a top side but we should have beaten them away that season of not for Schmikes individual errors. The home game wasn't a good indicator due to it being the last game of the group and a draw suiting both parties.
We were a much better side than them

Rewatched the final in full during lockdown and we weren't dominated half as much as people like to pretend we were.

The tactical switch in the last 10 was a much truer reflection of how the game would have gone with a full compliment.

These European finals with these cruel suspensions are a killer man
Yep
Someone did a modern statistical analysis of that final and we out xG’d Bayern in the end
We also had more possession, shots and shots on target than they did

It was a myth created by bitter ABUs that we were outplayed in that final
Bayern could have finished us off on the counter in the 2nd half as we pushed for an equaliser but they didn’t however the biggest missed chance of the game was Ole’s

It’s not talked about because we won but the their goal was a massive £#%&! up by Schmeichel
He had a shocking season with the odd big game

Unread 20-05-2024, 01:04 PM
jem

Quote:
The fk for their goal was soft
was never a free kick.

Unread 20-05-2024, 01:59 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
Yep

It’s not talked about because we won but the their goal was a massive £#%&! up by Schmeichel
He had a shocking season with the odd big game
His form pre-xmas was Onana-esq, Fergie sent him off on holiday in Jan iirc. The goal he conceded in the final was borderline unforgivable considering he had conceded an identical goal in the same stadium against Rivaldo in the groups.

Unread 20-05-2024, 02:23 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
His form pre-xmas was Onana-esq, Fergie sent him off on holiday in Jan iirc. The goal he conceded in the final was borderline unforgivable considering he had conceded an identical goal in the same stadium against Rivaldo in the groups.
Yeah flat footed leaning fully to the side of the wall
Showing his age and diminished agility

Unread 20-05-2024, 05:59 PM
magic_cantona

Just finished it now.

£#%&!ing hell, total blubbering mess ffs

That Treble won't ever be surpassed. The quality in the league with Arsenal, then in Europe, was just top, top tier. We had no business beating that Juventus side after going 2 down. What a team. What a club.

Unread 20-05-2024, 09:37 PM
Chorlton74

Never knew Keane waded in on Sheringham when Cole was having a pop.

Unread 21-05-2024, 12:59 AM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
The morning after we were waiting in our hotel for the coach to the airport and I heard this familiar Scottish brogue. Martin Ferguson walked up to us and asks "What did you think about that boys?" and I start to say, in my hungover state, that I thought we started off a bit unbalanced what with Giggs on the right and inside my head I'm screaming "shut up you dick, we've just won the Treble". Turns out quite a few of the backroom staff were staying at our hotel.

Unread 31-05-2024, 11:59 AM
elhombre

Couldn’t bring myself to watch this

Felt like the memories should be left alone

Watched it

£#%&!ing hell, I remember every minute of that season

Seems like yesterday

One of the reds I went home and away with and who I had known all my life was in the footage - they passed away a few years ago

Jesus - I was so lucky to have experienced that

Unread Yesterday, 04:25 PM
Zorg

David May

Fully expected to play in the Champions League final despite not having played a single minute in Europe all season and Stam and Johnsen being fully fit.
Then talking as if Fergie got off lightly when May decided not to tell him what team he should pick Absolute fruitloop.

It was completely £#%&!ing insane wasn't it. A ridiculous, outrageous achievement that will never be surpassed. A core of youth players who won the Double aged 19-20 winning the Treble 3 years later.

2-0 down in 10minutes to the Juventus of Zidane, Davids and Deschamps - ok, no problem.

As others have said, we'd have pissed that final with Keane and Scholes, we were miles better than Bayern.

Unread Today, 02:01 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post

As others have said, we'd have pissed that final with Keane and Scholes, we were miles better than Bayern.
They were also missing two key players in Lizarazu and Elber, the latter wasn’t world class but was their best striker so assume integral to the way they played.

Keane alone would have made me so much more confident though, first half our central midfield got absolutely walloped.

Unread Today, 08:03 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
They were also missing two key players in Lizarazu and Elber, the latter wasn’t world class but was their best striker so assume integral to the way they played.

Keane alone would have made me so much more confident though, first half our central midfield got absolutely walloped.
Good point.

Keane was worth about three players, completely unplayable..