United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-11-2015, 03:53 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonred
Remember going to West Brom in the mid 60's. The pitch was like an ice rink. The then England full back (Don Howe) was taken on the Waltzers by the 'kid' Best. George reminded me of a Spaniel that day. Head down, weaving away down the wing like a dog sniffing for a bitch on heat. What sticks in my mind is seeing Howe left on his arse as Besty left him for dead.
Pure Guinness.
Greyhound? Whippet? Surely not a stupid spaniel though?

Unread 18-11-2015, 03:54 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Shirt and ties in the crowd
£#%&!ing hipsters

Unread 18-11-2015, 03:58 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
He is.....just nowhere near as good as Best. No real tackles now. You were allowed to maim in Best's day and he did it on these pitches

This looks like the next or previous frame. Nice to see the Charltons aren't fighting each other

Unread 18-11-2015, 04:10 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Paddy chewing Bremner's head off

£#%&!ing ref
Silly Billy. Remember Dave Mackay getting old of Bremner by the throat. Now the late Dave was a hard git on the field and took no prisoners. Rather Paddy than Dave.

Unread 18-11-2015, 04:47 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Silly Billy. Remember Dave Mackay getting old of Bremner by the throat. Now the late Dave was a hard git on the field and took no prisoners. Rather Paddy than Dave.
The best of those types of stories I have heard is actually at a United reserve game - the opposing goalie saw Noel Cantwell bearing down on him, and chucked the ball into his net

No idea if it is actually true, but it jolly well should be

Unread 18-11-2015, 04:55 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
The best of those types of stories I have heard is actually at a United reserve game - the opposing goalie saw Noel Cantwell bearing down on him, and chucked the ball into his net

No idea if it is actually true, but it jolly well should be
Never heard of that one but Cantwell? Probably one of the tallest full backs we ever had ... oh wait ..Anderson?

Unread 18-11-2015, 05:43 PM
zanzare

Why did Cantwell get so much hatred when he left?

Remember singing that Noel, Noel song vividly, no idea why we sang it though.

Unread 18-11-2015, 06:04 PM
elephantstone

I see Reno hasn't been near this thread since his outburst.....I am still in shock about it.

Unread 18-11-2015, 07:23 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
I see Reno hasn't been near this thread since his outburst.....I am still in shock about it.
Don't be. Reno kicked seven bells of shit out of George because Besty was hooked on alcohol. Besty knew when to quit the game -'Reno' didn't.

Unread 18-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Don't be. Reno kicked seven bells of shit out of George because Besty was hooked on alcohol. Besty knew when to quit the game -'Reno' didn't.

Unread 18-11-2015, 07:39 PM
andyroo

Best did do some @#%&!y things, doesn't make him an irredeemable @#%&! though. Whereas he was sublime with a football, not that I ever got to see it, only telly footage which by all accounts doesn't come anywhere close to doing him justice. Reno has no sense of perspective.

George, George, where did it all go wrong...

Unread 18-11-2015, 07:41 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Best did do some c***y things, doesn't make him an irredeemable c*** though. Whereas he was sublime with a football, not that I ever got to see it, only telly footage which by all accounts doesn't come anywhere close to doing him justice. Reno has no sense of perspective.

Not sure I'd £#%&! the one back row furthest right

Unread 18-11-2015, 07:41 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Best did do some @#%&!y things, doesn't make him an irredeemable @#%&! though. Whereas he was sublime with a football, not that I ever got to see it, only telly footage which by all accounts doesn't come anywhere close to doing him justice. Reno has no sense of perspective.

Tony Wilson had a varied career.

Unread 18-11-2015, 09:29 PM
ashtonred

I well remember interviewing Mary Stavin before she hooked up with George. Stavin picked up the crown "Miss World" in November 1977. I got the gig in the December of the same year. I did some freelance work back in those days for a local newspaper in Ashton. We did the interview at a local venue before a 'live' audience. An hour before the interview, we met in what was the equivalent of the 'Green Room'. To me interviewing her was like no big deal. She was as nervous as a kitten. She spoke excellent English so when I went through the prevailing questions, I reassured her that she would be fine. "Trust me" I said. Didn't get the two kisses on both cheeks there and then, but I did after the show.
Little did I know what was ahead of Mary Stavin at the time - Our George

Unread 18-11-2015, 09:47 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Not sure I'd £#%&! the one back row furthest right

Unread 19-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
I well remember interviewing Mary Stavin before she hooked up with George. Stavin picked up the crown "Miss World" in November 1977. I got the gig in the December of the same year. I did some freelance work back in those days for a local newspaper in Ashton. We did the interview at a local venue before a 'live' audience. An hour before the interview, we met in what was the equivalent of the 'Green Room'. To me interviewing her was like no big deal. She was as nervous as a kitten. She spoke excellent English so when I went through the prevailing questions, I reassured her that she would be fine. "Trust me" I said. Didn't get the two kisses on both cheeks there and then, but I did after the show.
Little did I know what was ahead of Mary Stavin at the time - Our George
nice bit of trim, Mary.

Miss World, Georgie's £#%&! and not many people know this, but she was interviewed by the Ashton Reporter.

Unread 19-11-2015, 09:40 AM
elephantstone

Quote:

that guy stood at the back thinking 'why couldn't it be me?'

Unread 19-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
that guy stood at the back thinking 'why couldn't it be me?'
That's a picture of Paul McCartney.

Unread 19-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
This looks like the next or previous frame. Nice to see the Charltons aren't fighting each other

yeah, that's Denis & Jack. Bobby's trying to get mad Pat off Bremner

Quote:
Mackay was handy alright and had a fierce face which made the headlines when he grabbed Bremner. Good pic.

Paddy was first in every time. Nails and a £#%&!ing legend. Remember him minding George at Estudiantes in that atmos when it had never been experienced before apart from Celtic at Racing the previous year. Bremner's cacking himself there the little shite.
Closed Thread