United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Red Dragon

We're like a flaccid acorn #@&%! in the transfer market, while everyone else is a raging Ron Jeremy diamond cutter.

Even teams like Sunderland, Newcastle and Everton resemble something of an average sized semi on these days in comparison.

Unread 18-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Doctor Hver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Nobody has called Herrera shit yet, surely?
He'S so shit that he was taken of for Toilet brush.

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

United need a playing style and especially a system that they know and trust, that they can adjust as the game goes on, and that they can execute to a very high level - the top level.

it doesn't matter who the players are or how much they cost, they need a manager who is strong enough to take the flak of impatient fans being wound up by the media while that takes shape.

the worst part about losing the game on saturday has been the way it is then spun that van gaal was forced to resort to using blackett and lingard as if they obviously aren't up to it. i hope blackett starts the next game as well, despite his expensive faux pas against swansea - it wasn't his £#%&!ing fault the attack was ineffectual yet again ffs.

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Whip Hubley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
United need a playing style and especially a system that they know and trust, that they can adjust as the game goes on, and that they can execute to a very high level - the top level.

it doesn't matter who the players are or how much they cost, they need a manager who is strong enough to take the flak of impatient fans being wound up by the media while that takes shape.

the worst part about losing the game on saturday has been the way it is then spun that van gaal was forced to resort to using blackett and lingard as if they obviously aren't up to it. i hope blackett starts the next game as well, despite his expensive faux pas against swansea - it wasn't his £#%&!ing fault the attack was ineffectual yet again ffs.

Quite.

1 goal, at home, against Swansea, with Pea Rooney and Mata on the pitch....... not good enough

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Quite.

1 goal, at home, against Swansea, with Pea Rooney and Mata on the pitch....... not good enough
When is RvP back

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Mr Castro

Might be sooner than you think after Rooney's display.

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Neo

Quote:
When is RvP back
Dunno, but here's your post following a Van Persie interview in January 2014:

Quote:
he says the manager is their leader and that they're all working hard to turn things around; he thinks it will happen sooner rather than later.

reading between the lines, he also said that the manager needed time to bed in. the most interesting bit is the bit at the end where he suggests that Moyes seemed to be a bit shocked that no-one really bothered about the charity shield win. that'll give the narrative of moan a bit of ammo, i suppose...

overall it smacks of half a season of getting to know you, which is what we've seen on the pitch really. those 3 defeats came after 2 losses in 20 games. problem is those two were back-to-back, at home, and one was abject while the other was against the manager's old club. then the recent league defeat surrounded by 5 league wins was exacerbated by some misfortune in the domestic cups.

the United players aren't stupid though. they know it's getting better all the time and they are right behind the manager in trying to turn it around as quickly as they can by the sounds of it
Yep, definitely was getting better all the time, and the players were right behind Moyeseh all the way.

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
Might be sooner than you think after Rooney's display.
watch your step round here with that kind of talk

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Dunno, but here's your post following a Van Persie interview in January 2014:

Yep, definitely was getting better all the time, and the players were right behind Moyeseh all the way.

Neo is not letting this clown get away with anything.

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:23 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
United must have a net spend of around £100m in 2014, though. And it'll go up. Can't see any other club in Europe coming close to that.

When you spend £125m in less than twelve months and people are still complaining, there's something badly wrong. I still think there's too much being attached to yesterday's result, though. We still don't know what LvG can get from this squad. Saturday doesn't change that.

If we can get a bit more luck with injuries, we're still only two or three players from a squad that can challenge.
£80m of that has been utterly wasted tbf on Zaha, Fellaini and Mata.

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Neo

Quote:

But, but, I thought Moyeseh was going to get time to build his own team?

Do you not remember saying that? I've put your post from January 26th 2014 below, just to jog your memory:

Quote:
the reasons are completely obvious - United have a new manager and he will be allowed to build his own team.

people have wasted a hell of a lot of words casting doubt on that but deep down they know it's true.

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
£80m of that has been utterly wasted tbf on Zaha, Fellaini and Mata.
Oh that's part of the point. Like I say, when you've spent £120m (it's actually more I think) across a year and you're still talking about major weaknesses, something is wrong. But it's hard to really continue the line about money not being there. £125m with little income.

Throb's right to talk about LvG having to work against a backdrop of media-fueled hysterical impatience, and lack of perspective. It's a shame that after a disaster season, we have a new manager playing a new system, giving three players their debuts and people are throwing a wobbly about one game. Yes we need new players, but we don't know what van Gaal can get from what he has yet.

Compared to where we were 6 months ago, I'm still excited about the big picture and where we're headed. It just won't happen overnight.

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:48 PM
vangaalsbigballs

Quote:
Oh that's part of the point. Like I say, when you've spent £120m (it's actually more I think) across a year and you're still talking about major weaknesses, something is wrong. But it's hard to really continue the line about money not being there. £125m with little income.

Throb's right to talk about LvG having to work against a backdrop of media-fueled hysterical impatience, and lack of perspective. It's a shame that after a disaster season, we have a new manager playing a new system, giving three players their debuts and people are throwing a wobbly about one game. Yes we need new players, but we don't know what van Gaal can get from what he has yet.

Compared to where we were 6 months ago, I'm still excited about the big picture and where we're headed. It just won't happen overnight.
But that had to happen. United just can't afford to be out of CL again next season. Because next season will then become very crucial in terms of money from Adidas. 25% will be lost if we are out of CL for 2 consecutive seasons.

I thought handing Rooney was a bad decision by LVG. Now no matter what rooney has to play. RVP will also play. a 2 striker formation with a poor midfield and defence with little ability on the ball is a disaster waiting to happen. Add that to no pace issue, we are £#%&!ed. You can give LVG another year to work on this and still same issues will be there if no additions are there to the squad.

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:48 PM
dunk

Quote:

I think the bulk of the wobbly is to do with the lack of transfer business tbh. Everyone fit we've got a first 11 to give most a game, providing the right mix is put on the pitch. The frustration is it could be soooo much better with just a little bit of ambition.

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

I'm more suspicious than excited. I agree completely with van gaal's willingness to assess the players he has from the point of view of his system and his ideas - what fans think of these players was mostly irrelevant in a system they are familiar with, let alone a system they are not used to seeing from a United side. but saying that, I seriously doubt whether many of the current players are capable technically or tactically of learning his system. and i'm suspicious because I doubt van gaal will have a problem walking away if that's the case, with the scenario being that he leaves a bigger shambles than the one he inherited.

Unread 18-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Tumescent Throb

the rider to that last post of mine is that I'd be excited if I thought van gaal was going to throw the kids in and mix them with the very best of what we've got and an array of unspectacular but perfectly head-hunted new signings.

with that in mind, making rooney captain and fletcher vice-captain is the worst piece of united news i've heard in a while.

Unread 18-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
the rider to that last post of mine is that I'd be excited if I thought van gaal was going to throw the kids in and mix them with the very best of what we've got and an array of unspectacular but perfectly head-hunted new signings.

with that in mind, making rooney captain and fletcher vice-captain is the worst piece of united news i've heard in a while.

It's totally £#%&!ing bonkers IMO. But, tbf to LVG (and Rooney), who else is there??? The Moyes effect meant we lost effectively 4 club captains last season, the absolute £#%&!ing belm.

Unread 18-08-2014, 02:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I'm more suspicious than excited. I agree completely with van gaal's willingness to assess the players he has from the point of view of his system and his ideas - what fans think of these players was mostly irrelevant in a system they are familiar with, let alone a system they are not used to seeing from a United side. but saying that, I seriously doubt whether many of the current players are capable technically or tactically of learning his system. and i'm suspicious because I doubt van gaal will have a problem walking away if that's the case, with the scenario being that he leaves a bigger shambles than the one he inherited.
Yikes

He was actually asked on the tour if it was more difficult transferring his ideas here than it was to the players at Barca and Bayern. He insisted that while maybe it was compared to Barca, it was very difficult with the players at Bayern. Indeed, Bayern was of course the club where he started poorly. Incredible stats: three wins from eleven in late November; switch turned and did 14/1/0 from the next fifteen

But I think most managers who play the game the right way these days would find similar problems with many of the current squad. So van Gaal is a guy I'd be happier to allow to rip the whole thing up over the next year if he wanted, tbh.

Unread 18-08-2014, 02:04 PM
dunk

Quote:

Completely agree with that. Can sort of understand Fletch's appointment, senior figure, well liked and respected etc. Rooney is £#%&!ing madness and a sad indictment of the current makeup of the squad.
Closed Thread