United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-10-2009, 11:54 PM
The Watcher

Default Re: Goram: Keano hated my guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
you miss Gary Nevs tackle then last night mate...you must have been downstairs pillaging at the time
I was at home swearing at the telly...till the replay of the tackle was shown

Unread 29-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
I still think Keane should have rose above it - as captain that was his role as far as Utd was concerned. He was being inroduced to a new teammate. You will not see 2 people with more differing backgrounds/political views than Norman Whiteside and Paul McGrath. They rose above it and are still great mates to this day.

That's not the point. Whiteside and McGrath were decent people, despite their differing backgrounds.

Norm might have been from Shankill, but he didn't pose with UVF flags, declare a hatred for Catholics, or mourn the death of a loyalist terrorist by wearing a black armband. It's not where you're from, but where you're at.

Maybe it was the fact that Goram was born in the England that he felt he needed to over compensate by acting up to the image he thought would win him favour with Rangers supporters.

Essentially, my point is I don't think Keane would have a problem with somebody just due to them being a "Rangers man". He worked for years under Fergie, and even for a spell with Walter Smith as the coach. And as I pointed out, he £#%&!ed over Celtic legend Dogleash in the process of signing for us.

He clearly did have a problem with being pals with a bigoted Loyalist sympathiser, and that's little wonder.

Just as I doubt Andy Cole would have been too pleased if he had turned up for training in 2001 and had Nick Griffin sat under his peg.

Unread 29-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Roy Keane is a £#%&!ing God.

Personally, I think the current side could do with a few nasty @#%&!s.
I may not agree with the first part but I'll concede that Keane has never been replaced at United. I always said Keane's position was the most important one at United and I still believe that.

Unread 29-10-2009, 12:24 AM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
I may not agree with the first part but I'll concede that Keane has never been replaced at United. I always said Keane's position was the most important one at United and I still believe that.
We've done ok since he's gone tbf

Unread 29-10-2009, 12:46 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver

And as for whoever it was early in the thread who compared Goram to Schmeichel... Jesus £#%&!ing Christ. What next? Ally McCoist as good as Cantona?
how often did you see goram play in his prime? best british keeper of his generation. shits on the likes of seaman.

Unread 29-10-2009, 12:51 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
how often did you see goram play in his prime? best british keeper of his generation. shits on the likes of seaman.
In his prime Goram played in Scotland, ffs. For much of his career he was second fiddle to Jim Leighton at international level.

And even if he were the "best British keeper of his generation", Schmeichel was the best keeper in the World for 5 or 6 years and nobody else came close. Certainly not Andy £#%&!ing Goram!

Unread 29-10-2009, 01:02 AM
shenwen

Quote:
In his prime Goram played in Scotland, ffs. For much of his career he was second fiddle to Jim Leighton at international level.

And even if he were the "best British keeper of his generation", Schmeichel was the best keeper in the World for 5 or 6 years and nobody else came close. Certainly not Andy £#%&!ing Goram!

and?
goram won nearly 50 caps for scotland. the problem was his 'prime' was pretty short

ok, the schmeichel comparison may have been a bit ott, but I maintain that between roughly 94 and 96, goram was outstanding. i used to watch him every week on the telly and my memory is of a great keeper who won many games for rangers, especially old firm games, which then as now would pretty much decide the title

Unread 29-10-2009, 01:05 AM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
of course - William>James
catch yourself on

Unread 29-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
and?
goram won nearly 50 caps for scotland. the problem was his 'prime' was pretty short

ok, the schmeichel comparison may have been a bit ott, but I maintain that between roughly 94 and 96, goram was outstanding. i used to watch him every week on the telly and my memory is of a great keeper who won many games for rangers, especially old firm games, which then as now would pretty much decide the title
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Goram

"Goram was also an important player for the Scotland national team, winning 43 caps. He had a long-running rivalry with Jim Leighton for the goalkeeping position in the Scotland team. Craig Brown controversially selected Goram ahead of Leighton for Scotland's matches in Euro 96, despite the fact that Leighton had played in most of the qualifiers. Brown then selected Leighton for France 98, which prompted Goram to walk out of the squad completely."

Sorry, but any keeper who, at his peak, was overlooked in favour of Jim Leighton for the national side was clearly quite a limited goalkeeper. 43 caps in 13 years is a pretty piss poor effort. Schmikes got 129 in 14 years, was undisputed number one for his country and also played a major part in them winning Euro 92.

I don't doubt Goram had several blinders in the Old Firm, but great goalkeeping is about consistency over a prolonged period rather than the ability to play the odd great game now and then.

To compare Goram to Schmeichel is pure madness.

Unread 29-10-2009, 01:33 AM
shenwen

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Goram

"Goram was also an important player for the Scotland national team, winning 43 caps. He had a long-running rivalry with Jim Leighton for the goalkeeping position in the Scotland team. Craig Brown controversially selected Goram ahead of Leighton for Scotland's matches in Euro 96, despite the fact that Leighton had played in most of the qualifiers. Brown then selected Leighton for France 98, which prompted Goram to walk out of the squad completely."

Sorry, but any keeper who, at his peak, was overlooked in favour of Jim Leighton for the national side was clearly quite a limited goalkeeper. 43 caps in 13 years is a pretty piss poor effort. Schmikes got 129 in 14 years, was undisputed number one for his country and also played a major part in them winning Euro 92.

I don't doubt Goram had several blinders in the Old Firm, but great goalkeeping is about consistency over a prolonged period rather than the ability to play the odd great game now and then.

To compare Goram to Schmeichel is pure madness.
I've just conceded the schmeichel point.
turning out wiki stats is pretty weak argument. goram failed to pick up caps for a whole host of reasons, not necessarily related to his ability. craig brown, andy roxburgh, the booze, his mental state. I keep saying 'in his prime' because I am more than aware that goram did not have a stellar caree overall, but under the right manager (smith) and playing with the right team, he was some keeper and very few at that time imo were as good.

Unread 29-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Grimson

When Goram was at Rangers he was a very good goalkeeper, with amazing footwork and handling. At his best he was a far more gifted keeper than Leighton, but Jim was older, had won a European medal at Aberdeen, and was already established internationally, having been Scotland's number one at the 1986 World Cup. So caps were always hard to come by for Goram. The years he was at Rangers, he'd have comfortably ousted quite a few of the Premiership's keepers. Consider how shaky Liverpool and Newcastle were in goal for much of the 90s.

He wasn't in Schmeichel's class, obviously, but then among his contemporaries, only Southall was.

Unread 29-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
I'm too mate. In his book he tells the full story about the armband and how close he was to his Aunt who had died very recently to the old firm game. I don't know myself but the lad says it in his own book. Perhaps the bould Roy has the very opposite views to Goram - I don't know - if he does that would make them both bigots.
But remember if you label Fergie a Rangers man as he supported them then apply the same logic to Goram - a red. Heard him on MUTV last week with Alec Stepney talking about how proud he was that he had played for his Dad's team - Rangers - and at the end of his career got the chance to play for his own boyhood team - Utd - who he had cheered on from the Stretford End as a lad.

And you are right about the Schmeichel comparison
£#%&!inell. This lad is unbelievably out of touch.

According to this, IF andy goram supports loyalists paramilitaries then Roy Keane is just as bad for being offended by it
You just cannot accept critisism of anything on the loyalist side. There always has to be something about catholics and why they are just as bad as the worst loyalists.

Unreal.

Unread 29-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Stickman

Goram was £#%&!ing immense for Rangers.

Unread 29-10-2009, 05:10 PM
wee man

Quote:
I'm too mate. In his book he tells the full story about the armband and how close he was to his Aunt who had died very recently to the old firm game. I don't know myself but the lad says it in his own book. Perhaps the bould Roy has the very opposite views to Goram - I don't know - if he does that would make them both bigots.

But remember if you label Fergie a Rangers man as he supported them then apply the same logic to Goram - a red. Heard him on MUTV last week with Alec Stepney talking about how proud he was that he had played for his Dad's team - Rangers - and at the end of his career got the chance to play for his own boyhood team - Utd - who he had cheered on from the Stretford End as a lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
£#%&!inell. This lad is unbelievably out of touch.

According to this, IF andy goram supports loyalists paramilitaries then Roy Keane is just as bad for being offended by it
You just cannot accept critisism of anything on the loyalist side. There always has to be something about catholics and why they are just as bad as the worst loyalists.

Unreal.
Sometimes Fuzzman you let your mask slip and let your true colours show by reading what you want in a post (generally of mine) rather than reading it properly. I have quoted my original post so people and you can see.

The very opposite views of Goram (if he supports loyalist terrorism) would be supporting republican terrorism. Not people in the centre ground - whether prod or catholic. I used the word "perhaps" and the phrase "I don't know" when speculating also about Keane's views. I suspect you wouldn't know either. Maybe you do.

Be more careful in your reading - you're usually reasonably good at the mask wearing.

Unread 29-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Harfynn Teuport

Quote:
Sometimes Fuzzman you let your mask slip and let your true colours show by reading what you want in a post (generally of mine) rather than reading it properly. I have quoted my original post so people and you can see.

The very opposite views of Goram (if he supports loyalist terrorism) would be supporting republican terrorism. Not people in the centre ground - whether prod or catholic. I used the word "perhaps" and the phrase "I don't know" when speculating also about Keane's views. I suspect you wouldn't know either. Maybe you do.

Be more careful in your reading - you're usually reasonably good at the mask wearing.

Unread 29-10-2009, 05:42 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harfynn Teuport

I never said he didn't. I'm not defending him at all.

Unread 29-10-2009, 06:17 PM
rebelcountyred

Quote:

i try and keep out of these pointless arguments but that is one of the most stupid statements i've read on this forum, actually on the internet, amazingly stupid, congrats.

Unread 29-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:

So your saying IF Roy Keane was a republican sympathiser he would be as bad as Goram

This is exactly what I mean. You're even making things up in order to defend his actions because he's 'on your side'.

Unread 29-10-2009, 06:29 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
So your saying IF Roy Keane was a republican sympathiser he would be as bad as Goram

This is exactly what I mean. You're even making things up in order to defend his actions because he's 'on your side'.
Did you see the word "opposite" in my post - you do know what that means don't you ?

The opposite of a loyalist sympathiser is a republican sympathiser

The opposite of a unionist is a nationalist

The opposite of a UVF supporter is an IRA supporter.

Would you disagree with those statements ?

And if ANYONE is a sympathiser/supporter of the IRA then they are on the same moral rung as Goram - Yes.

Unread 29-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

O.K I'll explain it in more simple terms for you; Why do you even need to bring IRA sympathisers into the conversation?
Closed Thread