United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I thought Ronaldo was excellent last night. Had the occassional silly moment, but he always does - even last year.
He was at the centre of everything we did well last night and he's not cutting the same figure he was a few games ago. I think that was his best performance since his comeback. He's regained that half a yard of pace and is having a more consistent influence on games. I just wish he wouldn't sit there when he doesn't get a free kick. GET. UP!

In fact, I thought most of our players were very good last night. We just didn't win the game. Sometimes you just have to accept that any team that sticks ten men beind the ball and plays with discipline and concentration is tough to break down.
People say that it's suicide for weaker teams to do that, but I disagree. It's frustrates and all it takes is numbers, commitment and discipline. I think weaker teams trying to go out there and 'play football' and beat us are the ones committing suicide. Hull are a case in point. They gave it a good go and show great ambition, but the reality is they should've conceded about 7 goals.
It's suicide when teams are doing it when it's 0-0. If they are holding onto a lead like Celtic were, then it's a sensible thing to do if you are playing a team that are far more superior technically.

Unread 06-11-2008, 02:32 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi the Red
It's suicide when teams are doing it when it's 0-0. If they are holding onto a lead like Celtic were, then it's a sensible thing to do if you are playing a team that are far more superior technically.
Not if you're happy with 0-0. Admittedly, it's not wise, but I still reckon it's smarter than playing an open game. Gameplan goes out the window if you concede, but even then, teams are willing to still sit back and hope they get to 80 minutes at 1-0 so they can have a little go for ten minutes.

I know one was away and the other at home, but I'd rather play against Hull than Celtic in terms of how they operate.

Unread 06-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Without question. And for what it's worth he and Fletcher completely dominated Celtic last night, the only problem was nobody could find the key to unlock the door.

Anderson and Carrick for me.
Celtic gave up any pretence of having a midfield after they scored though, so I'm not surprised Carrick and Fletch dominated. It should be Carrick's job to unlock the damn door, but too often his only idea was 'get it to Ronaldo'. He was good, and it's great to have him back, but it wasn't the superb performance everyone is going on about.

Thought we missed Ando a lot myself, would have been the perfect game for him.

Unread 06-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
6 Carrick: Never got full control in the middle but he wasn’t dominated either
The MEN's rating of Carrick last night.

He had full control of the middle. That £#%&!ing rag is a joke.

Unread 06-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
The MEN's rating of Carrick last night.

He had full control of the middle. That £#%&!ing rag is a joke.
Ahh, so my low opinion of Carrick was backed up by a professional sports writer.

Incidentally, what did Rooney, Evra and Fletch get ?

Unread 06-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Ahh, so my low opinion of Carrick was backed up by a professional sports writer.

4, 5, and 9 respectively

Unread 06-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:

Yeah one who has no access to Manchester United whatsoever anymore and writes constant tripe.

I'm surprised at you tbh Fountz. You kept this loathing of Carrick well hidden. Go on admit it, you want him dead don't you?

You'll be after that Etonian fella in centre mid next.

Unread 06-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginlarde
4, 5, and 9 respectively
4 and 5 for Rooney and Evra !!

Jeez... was the £#%&!in' clueless hack actually at the game ?

Unread 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Yeah one who has no access to Manchester United whatsoever anymore and writes constant tripe.

I'm surprised at you tbh Fountz. You kept this loathing of Carrick well hidden. Go on admit it, you want him dead don't you?

You'll be after that Etonian fella in centre mid next.

I'm in quite a giddy mood today.

Unread 06-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Ginners

Quote:
4 and 5 for Rooney and Evra !!

Jeez... was the £#%&!in' clueless hack actually at the game ?
not sure, tbh he may not actually exist.

Unread 06-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Agree with all that JC, another belting post

I'm surprised by your assessment Fountz. As one of most knowledgeable football fans on here, I thought you'd be one of his biggest fans! The only thing that goes against Carrick is that he's a bit of a @#%&!. Even when he celebrates a goal, he looks scared shitless
Is he £#%&!. If he doesn't understand Carrick's qualities, he doesn't really understand football. We're a much poorer side without him in it and he was the final cog which took us from being a decent side in the latter half of 05/06 to a side that has won back to back titles and a European cup in the next two seasons.

Aside from pace and willingness to get injured what does Hargreaves have over Carrick? Nicer hair?

I think Fountz is expecting Carrick to run round like Gerrard flying into challenges and scoring goals all the time. Football's a bit different to that i'm afraid.

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Tumescent Throb

Keane in a list of holding midfielders?

wtf is that all about then

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

not sure what rossi the red was thinking tbh

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Rossi the Red

Quote:
no he isnt. essien, makele, keane, viera, mascherano. these are holding midfielders. carrick is more of an attacking midfielder, hence why we got hargreaves, who is meant to be a holding midfielder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Quote:
not sure what rossi the red was thinking tbh

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi the Red

nice edit