Unread 08-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That you are a bit of a £#%&!stick tbh.
Oh really? That cuts deep.

Quote:
Far from Uber red, I want what is best for the club, and if he is a success, fine. I don't have to like him or the fact he signed for us though. If you are happy with his signing I would say it says more about you tbh.
So you'll admit to being a fully paid up member of £#%&!stick club if the Scouser works out or be happier in "I told you so - don't sign a Scouser club" if it doesn't.

Nice hedging but let's be honest - you have had a complete mare.

Unread 08-07-2009, 04:31 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
that is dreadful
Tbf the mirror have got their guy to sort it now

Unread 08-07-2009, 04:32 PM
dunk

So, signing a player that is past it, played for our local rivals and is a @#%&! is a good thing?

£#%&!ing hell, let's get Robbie fowler in, he's struggling in Australia

I would be unhappy if we signed Torres, it's the point of the £#%&!ing thing. He has been a hero there, he should never be given the chance to play for United, end of.

If you think he should then that's up to you.

Unread 08-07-2009, 04:33 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
:shakehead:
Seriously mate have a look at your posts over the last few weeks, I don't know you or much about you to be honest but from what I've read you sound like a right jcl. What about when Ince signed for them? Do you reckon a they all started slagging him off over the Internet, or did they get behind him because they knew he was a quality player and it wound us up to £#%&!. I much rather we had signed Benzema, Kaka or Ribery but we havnt so get over it and get behind your team. Just out of curiosity what do you think of Reds singing Stevie Coppell songs at aways?

Unread 08-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Fountz

Smile join with me....

there's only one Ober-tan...
Ober-tan Ken-Oh-be..
there's only one Obertan Kenobe...

one Obertan Kenobe..
there's only one Obertan Kenobe..

hope he feels the force.

Unread 08-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

dunk's having yet another mare then

getting to be a bit of a habit lately

Unread 08-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
But hey - what would you have said over 60 years ago when United signed a Manager who had played for Liverpool and City?
I know this has been said before, but things just weren't the same back then. There was no rivalry to speak of between United and Liverpool, it didn't develop until much later. Ship canal, yeah, there's something in that I believe but from what I've read it was mostly the scousers whining as usual.
Even with city it was minimal. We all have dads or grandads who went to watch both teams after all.

Both rivalries developed and increased after the 50s, 60s and beyond, and now they exist and are pretty intense, so wheeling out Matt Busby as if it's an earth-shattering revelation - everyone knows who he played for, you're not imparting new information here - isn't as effective as you appear to think.

Unread 08-07-2009, 04:37 PM
marlo

Quote:
So, signing a player that is past it, played for our local rivals and is a @#%&! is a good thing?

£#%&!ing hell, let's get Robbie fowler in, he's struggling in Australia

I would be unhappy if we signed Torres, it's the point of the £#%&!ing thing. He has been a hero there, he should never be given the chance to play for United, end of.

If you think he should then that's up to you.
dunk just go and have a lie down mate.

you have had a mare. ive never had one so can sympathise with you.

owen has signed now so just get behind him instead of wanting to say 'i told you so' group.

come back when you feel abit better.

peace and love.

ll marls

xxx

Unread 08-07-2009, 04:37 PM
marlo

Default weather forcasts suggest another mare on the way for zorg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I know this has been said before, but things just weren't the same back then. There was no rivalry to speak of between United and Liverpool, it didn't develop until much later. Ship canal, yeah, there's something in that I believe but from what I've read it was mostly the scousers whining as usual.
Even with city it was minimal. We all have dads or grandads who went to watch both teams after all.

Both rivalries developed and increased after the 50s, 60s and beyond, and now they exist and are pretty intense, so wheeling out Matt Busby as if it's an earth-shattering revelation - everyone knows who he played for, you're not imparting new information here - isn't as effective as you appear to think.

Unread 08-07-2009, 04:41 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
there's only one Ober-tan...
Ober-tan Ken-Oh-be..
there's only one Obertan Kenobe...

one Obertan Kenobe..
there's only one Obertan Kenobe..

hope he feels the force.

£#%&!in hell mate that's terrible.

Unread 08-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

Wrong and completely missed the point.

Otherwise, solid effort.

Unread 08-07-2009, 06:09 PM
borsuk

Quote:

Otherwise, solid effort.
why is it wrong? please enlighten.

you might also explain the point, because it didn't seem to miss it to me.

Unread 08-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
why is it wrong? please enlighten.

you might also explain the point, because it didn't seem to miss it to me.
Because

1. The hostility has always existed between Manchester/Liverpool. Also Utd were bombed out of Old Trafford when Busby joined and we were known as The Rags - United fans hated it and most things to do with their arrogant rivals.

Don't make me phone my Uncle Frank in Whitefield to confirm it as he's a living Daily Mail and it'll cost a fortune on the mobile.

2. The main point is how illogical it is ultimately to hate a bloke who once played for deadly rivals.

He's an Everton from from the Welsh border. Not a genuine Scouser like Rooney FFS.

People still hold players like Schmikes, Cole, McIlroy etc in high esteem and took them moving across town uncomfortably but without histrionics.

Fair enough if you think he's shit/washed up. That's wholly different from who he turned out for. I'm not aware that he's done anything vindictive which Alan Smith certainly was guilty of as a Leeds supporter.

But to also say he's a @#%&! unless he's a success is straight from the £#%&!osaurus imo.

Unread 08-07-2009, 07:19 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Because

1. The hostility has always existed between Manchester/Liverpool. Also Utd were bombed out of Old Trafford when Busby joined and we were known as The Rags - United fans hated it and most things to do with their arrogant rivals.

Don't make me phone my Uncle Frank in Whitefield to confirm it as he's a living Daily Mail and it'll cost a fortune on the mobile.

2. The main point is how illogical it is ultimately to hate a bloke who once played for deadly rivals.

He's an Everton from from the Welsh border. Not a genuine Scouser like Rooney FFS.

People still hold players like Schmikes, Cole, McIlroy etc in high esteem and took them moving across town uncomfortably but without histrionics.

Fair enough if you think he's shit/washed up. That's wholly different from who he turned out for. I'm not aware that he's done anything vindictive which Alan Smith certainly was guilty of as a Leeds supporter.

But to also say he's a @#%&! unless he's a success is straight from the £#%&!osaurus imo.
Bang on CR.

As stated yesterday, there appears to be an occular posterior happening here.

Unread 08-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Zorg

Quote:

Otherwise, solid effort.
Well that's me told. What an incisive argument.

Fwiw I'm much less bothered about Owen's origins than the fact that he's a has-been, though the sight of him in the shirt is still bizarre.

I was merely addressing your point about Matt Busby, which I've read countless times since Owen joined. I get the impression people think they're making this big revelation and can almost hear them dust their hands off and fold their arms, saying 'that's him told', as they inform us of this little-known fact that he played for Liverpool and city.

Everyone knows who Matt Busby played for and it wasn't a big deal at the time because, like I said, the rivalry just wasn't there. If it was, people would have been more arsed.

So the point, which I haven't missed, is that it's a completely crap argument to say that people shouldn't be concerned about former liverpool players because Busby was one, for the simple reason that the circumstances sixty years later are very different.
Closed Thread