United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-11-2011, 02:07 PM
carlosartorial

Default Re: St James Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by forwardirektion
Yeah good point.......They've not made shit up at all since they took over.
I'm only passing on what I heard...we all know they are @#%&!s.

Unread 10-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Yes, and it was in 1992.
you say that dodge, but it's obvious you still care.

A very good friend of mine is a City fan. He's from the Midlands and despite being offered a place at Cambridge, he chose Manchester so he could go to games. Had a season ticket since 82.

If he hadn't of moved up here I'd never have met him.

Naturally he gave me banter on the few occasions he could ( 5-1 springs to mind ) ..but I remember him very calmly stating a few years ago.. "if they move from Maine Road, that'll be it" ..and he stuck to his word and started doing other things.

Rang him a few days ago trying to arrange a night out.. not once did he mention the 6-1. So I brought it up.. no seizing the opportunity to laud it over me.. he's just not interested any more. Moving from Maine Road was it for him. The entity that was Manchester City and that played at Maine Road was what he supported is no more.

The clubs finances although worrying are for the most part redeemable.. renaming grounds or moving is £#%&!ing around with history.. that's my line in the sand.

Unread 10-11-2011, 02:18 PM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narek
Changing the name of the bulding where our history is making.
By the way why its not worse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Hope you kept the Rosetta Stone receipt pal.
Chortle

Unread 10-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Harri Jaffa

I'm going with, Sold Trafford or The Glazerdome

Unread 10-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I know. Imagine they bulldozed the Astoria? Turned the Rainbow into some freak out christian gaff? Renamed The town and country, hammersmith odeon, the hammersmith palais, shepherds bush empire and the borderline? All these iconic names and places that go back down the years, that jolt all kinds of musical memories- just imagine if they were swept aside in the name of corporate sponshorship or a new railway. There would be protests so huge that the idea would be scrapped immidiately. And, let's face it, the right to protest is well supported in this country by public and authorites alike. So I wouldn't worry about the Albert hall, if they tried to rename that i think there might be a revolution.

Good post : you've brought back some happy memories.

YHGR

Unread 10-11-2011, 03:26 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
The clubs finances although worrying are for the most part redeemable.. renaming grounds or moving is £#%&!ing around with history.. that's my line in the sand.
Renaming bricks and mortar is more important than alienating and out pricing the core fanbase......fair enough.

Unread 10-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Renaming bricks and mortar is more important than alienating and out pricing the core fanbase......fair enough.
So Old Trafford's merely bricks and mortar to you... fair enough.

Unread 10-11-2011, 03:40 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
So Old Trafford's merely bricks and mortar to you... fair enough.
Now i don't go because of the reasons above yeah.

They'll be doing regular cost/benefit analysis surely, matter of time.

Unread 10-11-2011, 03:45 PM
silv

Quote:
Now i don't go because of the reasons above yeah.

They'll be doing regular cost/benefit analysis surely, matter of time.
If its a choice between supporting the reds or cutting out your morning fairtrade vanilla truffle lattes then you know whats gonna go first

Unread 10-11-2011, 03:47 PM
forwardirektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
If its a choice between supporting the reds or cutting out your morning fairtrade vanilla truffle lattes then you know whats gonna go first
Obv.....the time that i put football before everything else has long gone.

Love arabica beans hate glazer

Unread 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM
dodger

Quote:
you say that dodge, but it's obvious you still care.

A very good friend of mine is a City fan. He's from the Midlands and despite being offered a place at Cambridge, he chose Manchester so he could go to games. Had a season ticket since 82.

If he hadn't of moved up here I'd never have met him.

Naturally he gave me banter on the few occasions he could ( 5-1 springs to mind ) ..but I remember him very calmly stating a few years ago.. "if they move from Maine Road, that'll be it" ..and he stuck to his word and started doing other things.

Rang him a few days ago trying to arrange a night out.. not once did he mention the 6-1. So I brought it up.. no seizing the opportunity to laud it over me.. he's just not interested any more. Moving from Maine Road was it for him. The entity that was Manchester City and that played at Maine Road was what he supported is no more.

Your attitude, and that of your mate, is admirable. And i do care, just not as much...either as you or as i used to. I think the past few years have slowly eroded it away so there was no line in the sand for me to draw against an inexorable and ever rising tide.

Unread 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM
jem

a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. true dat. name change would be mildly annoying relative to the takeover (and there was no revolution over that).

putting fergie's name on a stand is the slippery slope.

and whoever said you don't £#%&! with chocolate hasn't lived.

you might as well just rub it straight on my thighs!

er..... alright, love.

Unread 10-11-2011, 04:13 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

When is the Aon deal up for renewal? it will be then - shirts, ground, undercrackers, the lot. There is no way on earth that the club will not cash in, alternative revenue streams is where its at Bro's.

Unread 10-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Zorg

What about castles? Museums? Heritage sites? Let's get Coca-Cola to sponsor Stonehenge, paint it red and white and have the logo on it. Why not? It'll raise money, which is after all the only thing that matters at all. If you object you're just being fussy imo.

Unread 10-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Narek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
What about castles? Museums? Heritage sites? Let's get Coca-Cola to sponsor Stonehenge, paint it red and white and have the logo on it. Why not? It'll raise money, which is after all the only thing that matters at all. If you object you're just being fussy imo.
"Mr Paper" will be our official toilet paper partner.

Unread 10-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Ginners

Quote:
never understood the fuss about stonehenge.

just had a look on the website for it.

Quote:
For an unforgettable family day out, visit the World Heritage Site of Stonehenge. Located near Salisbury in the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, it is a highlight of the South West.
£#%&! me, highlight of the south west is a load of rocks? sums up the area well. unforgettable family day out? if i was forced to go on a family day out there it would only be unforgettable because id end up killing somone.

Unread 10-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Ginners is right here. I know it's old but would you really want to spend your free time in a car travelling to see a bunch of £#%&!ing rocks in a circle? if you would then you're a lost cause. genuinely.

Unread 10-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
never understood the fuss about stonehenge.

just had a look on the website for it.

£#%&! me, highlight of the south west is a load of rocks? sums up the area well. unforgettable family day out? if i was forced to go on a family day out there it would only be unforgettable because id end up killing somone.
tbf I didn't choose the best example did I, tis a bit overrated. Although Americans seem to love it.

Unread 10-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Ginners

Quote:
tbf I didn't choose the best example did I, tis a bit overrated. Although Americans seem to love it.
americans are thick as shit tbf

Unread 10-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Bunker Buster

Stonehenge is amazing.

Worth a visit.
Closed Thread