United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 09-12-2020, 10:20 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I blame myself for stupidly thinking we’d do it. A lot of my reactions are based on my own expectations going in.

I got taken in by the league wins, those sneaky buggers.
It's the hope that kills you, that's what's so frustrating.

The game in Turkey knackered us, the ridiculous nature of Ba's goal would have looked comical in an under 5's game, never mind the CL.

But we have hot streaks in games where we look unplayable, scare the shit out of the oppo and look like we can rip the oppo to shreds.

One good thing is, it feels like for the first time in years the opposition are expecting the charge at some point, rather than just meekly surrendering, unfortunately last night we'd just given ourselves too much to do, another 5 minutes and we'd have got something out of it.

There's something there, but we, and too many players, blow red hot and ice cold.

Unread 09-12-2020, 10:29 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
It's the hope that kills you, that's what's so frustrating.

The game in Turkey knackered us, the ridiculous nature of Ba's goal would have looked comical in an under 5's game, never mind the CL.

But we have hot streaks in games where we look unplayable, scare the shit out of the oppo and look like we can rip the oppo to shreds.

One good thing is, it feels like for the first time in years the opposition are expecting the charge at some point, rather than just meekly surrendering, unfortunately last night we'd just given ourselves too much to do, another 5 minutes and we'd have got something out of it.

There's something there, but we, and too many players, blow red hot and ice cold.

I describe us as a ‘mess’. Because it’s not all bad, far from it. The good moments really are very good. We can blitz teams and play some lovely stuff. There’s a group of forwards that are exciting to watch. That’s more than can be said for a lot of the post-Fergie years.

I just don’t think Ole has any more to get out of the team than that. The little runs are halted by hapless displays that defy any notion of actually progress. They’re not one offs, either. You know they’re coming (just not when) and I have no confidence at all that we won’t be stuck on this same rollercoaster in a years time if he’s still here.

And that’s ok. I’ve said it before, but not every manager has to be The One. If he leaves, he’ll have done a good job. He’ll have gutted the squad of the majority of Frankenstein Footballers and created an attacking team with some promise and leaves a new manager with plenty to work with (as well as plenty to do).

But the more nights we have like last night, the more frequently we look poorly prepared for games and the consistent failure to actually progress from one win to the next is adding to the concern that he isn’t and never will be a good enough manager for this club.

Unread 09-12-2020, 10:32 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I describe us as a ‘mess’. Because it’s not all bad, far from it. .
“Darling, this meal isn’t all bad, far from it. I would confidently describe it as an utter mess”

Unread 09-12-2020, 10:38 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
“Darling, this meal isn’t all bad, far from it. I would confidently describe it as an utter mess”
That’s a dreadful comparison

Unread 09-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Dasilvatwins

They will give ole till the end of the season. If he makes top 4 he will stay. If he doesn’t , they can activate his termination clause and sack him on the cheap.

Feel like if he can get rid of pogba lingard Jones and Rojo as he leaves it will be a nice parting. Everything is a business decision, he wasn’t backed in the summer and it’s look what has happened. Whilst it’s far from all doom and gloom and we are only 2 points off the top in the prem if we win our game in hand , you just don’t have faith in the players to do it.

AWB maguire and lindelof. All crap maguire puts in decent performances from time to time and is good in the air but not a solid all round defender.

AWB can tackle one vs one but do nothing else. He has been caught out several times before from a cross field ball. It’s nothing new. You’d like to think 352 would enable him to close down his man a bit more but Who knows.

Lindelof , the less said about him the better never a Man Utd CB.

Then in midfield you have Matic The Scottish Player Fred pogba and van den Beek. Pogba is a shitc***, The Scottish Player offers next to nothing. Matics legs went a few years ago and is shite . And Fred just runs. Vdb looks to be a player you want to include in a team that is already ticking . He gets a pass as it’s early doors.

Attack, rashford is hot and cold but is a decent player with potential to kick on. Martial is the same only I think he won’t improve because he doesn’t seem to have the work rate or mentality to get his head down and work hard.

Greenwood is fantastic and will be a great player.As is bruno.

The rest are either old or just not good enough. Once again we are screaming for a CB a CM a RW and possibly a CF.

Who did we get in summer? Bruno’s cover and telles who came way too late. The team is run poorly from the top and the mentality trickles down to the coaches and the players. Get some proper leadership at the top and then it will trickle down. Need Ed Woodward replacing and whilst I feel a fresh ole coming into the team with a DOF would have been good, he looks more and more spent.

Lack of leadership trickling down to the players who put in inconsistant performances because the staff and board have allowed it, with nothing really being done to change it. The board just about do enough to make them seem like they’re doing something and the manager takes the blame.

Moyes lvg Jose and now ole. All 4 with different styles and two of them renowned winners both domestic and European. Yet in any one of their teams we can take a few points and apply them to any one of the squads the 4 managers had.

I hope ole can get a few players in and maybe get a DOF and maybe another coach in but it won’t happen. Cycle will continue and in 18 months time people will be calling for the head of martial, rashford , VDB , maguire and the new manager.

Unread 09-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
They will give ole till the end of the season. If he makes top 4 he will stay. If he doesn’t , they can activate his termination clause and sack him on the cheap.

Feel like if he can get rid of pogba lingers Jones and Rojo as he leaves it will be a nice parting. Everything is a business decision, he wasn’t backed in the summer and it’s look what has happened. Whilst it’s far from all doom and gloom and we are only 2 points off the top in the prem if we win our game in hand , you just don’t have faith in the players to do it.

AWB maguire and lindelof. All crap maguire puts in decent performances from time to time and is good in the air but not a solid all round defender.

AWB can tackle one vs one but do nothing else. He has been caught out several times before from a cross field ball. It’s nothing new. You’d like to think 352 would enable him to close down his man a bit more but Who knows.

Lindelof , the less said about him the better never a Man Utd CB.

Then in midfield you have Matic The Scottish Player Fred pogba and van den Beek. Pogba is a shitc***, The Scottish Player offers next to nothing. Matics legs went a few years ago and is shite . And Fred just runs. Vdb looks to be a player you want to include in a team that is already ticking . He gets a pass as it’s early doors.

Attack, rashford is hot and cold but is a decent player with potential to kick on. Martial is the same only I think he won’t improve because he doesn’t seem to have the work rate or mentality to get his head down and work hard.

Greenwood is fantastic and will be a great player.As is bruno.

The rest are either old or just not good enough. Once again we are screaming for a CB a CM a RW and possibly a CF.

Who did we get in summer? Bruno’s cover and telles who came way too late. The team is run poorly from the top and the mentality trickles down to the coaches and the players. Get some proper leadership at the top and then it will trickle down. Need Ed Woodward replacing and whilst I feel a fresh ole coming into the team with a DOF would have been good, he looks more and more spent.

Lack of leadership trickling down to the players who put in inconsistant performances because the staff and board have allowed it, with nothing really being done to change it. The board just about do enough to make them seem like they’re doing something and the manager takes the blame.

Moyes lvg Jose and now ole. All 4 with different styles and two of them renowned winners both domestic and European. Yet in any one of their teams we can take a few points and apply them to any one of the squads the 4 managers had.

I hope ole can get a few players in and maybe get a DOF and maybe another coach in but it won’t happen. Cycle will continue and in 18 months time people will be calling for the head of martial, rashford , VDB , maguire and the new manager.
Can't disagree with any of that, especially the bit in bold. yhgr.

Even if we get rid of Pogba in January it's probably going to be in a swap deal for a player that doesn't even want to come, and that will be the only business done.

Unread 09-12-2020, 10:58 AM
Mr_Ed

I think what’s worrying me is that we’ve gone behind in EVERY game we’ve played lately. Every game we’re shipping goals and then, whilst we’ve come back to win a lot of them, we’re still all over the shops defensively.

Tactics, team selection, defensive weakness - all shocking

Unread 09-12-2020, 11:04 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I think what’s worrying me is that we’ve gone behind in EVERY game we’ve played lately. Every game we’re shipping goals and then, whilst we’ve come back to win a lot of them, we’re still all over the shops defensively.

It’s not sustainable either. Comebacks should be for the off days, not a normal week.

We’ve got behind in all but 2 games in the league. One of those was a draw and the other West Brom had their penalty overturned.

It’s a dangerous way to be.

Unread 09-12-2020, 11:08 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed

Ole due to a combination of poor coaching and shit players . With a settled defence of

AWB maguire lindelof telles
Matic/The Scottish Player. Fred/pogba

Feels like whatever combination we try we are doomed. If he plays more attacking players we are open at the back. If he plays effectively a back 6 for defending with any combo of the midfield options above we are still doomed. A lot of our goals conceded are shit mistakes.

The third goal last night lindelof can’t pass maguire let’s it go and de gea @#%&! out.

The West Ham game the whole team did their best The Scottish Player and lindelof in particular to give the ball away and invite pressure.

Vs Southampton two shitty corners that are probably more on ole and maguire as you should have sent at least one CB defending at the near post .

I feel ole is done , mainly because he won’t get the signings to change the team and the current crop of shit@#%&!s will not want to play out of their skin. Outside of Bruno these £#%&!ers will plod along till he gets sacked. At this point it isn’t even about playing for ole , £#%&!ing put a shift in for Man Utd! Lack of leaders. Pogba needs to go and the best thing ole can to is leave the squad in a healthier shape ( get rid of lingard Jones Rojo Bailey and pogba) and get the inevitable new manager half a chance.

Unread 09-12-2020, 11:08 AM
atticusgrinch

It's clear what we have.

A chief exec who is clueless and will just go with whichever way the wind is blowing with no long term plan whatsoever.

A novice manager and substandard coaches basically blagging it.

Some good players who can play very well and do very good things but are essentially a disorganised rabble most of the time.

It's one hell of a mess.

Unread 09-12-2020, 11:09 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
It's clear what we have.

A chief exec who is clueless and will just go with whichever way the wind is blowing with no long term plan whatsoever.

Some good players who can play very well and do very good things but are essentially a disorganised rabble most of the time.

It's one hell of a mess.
Yep.

Unread 09-12-2020, 11:11 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
It's clear what we have.

It's one hell of a mess.
At least it’s less of a mess than with Jose left

Get pogba out the squad and maybe the new manager in summer has a chance

Unread 09-12-2020, 11:21 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
At least it’s less of a mess than with Jose left

Get pogba out the squad and maybe the new manager in summer has a chance
I agree that we should get rid of pogba, although he actually played well last night.

bearing in mind that he wasn't on the pitch when we gave the first two goals away and it was down to collective defensive disorganisation, maybe that would be a better place to start.

george graham isn't doing anything.

Unread 09-12-2020, 11:26 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I agree that we should get rid of pogba, although he actually played well last night.

bearing in mind that he wasn't on the pitch when we gave the first two goals away and it was down to collective defensive disorganisation, maybe that would be a better place to start.

george graham isn't doing anything.
agree on both fronts.

If we had the defence organised we'd have gone through.

Unread 09-12-2020, 11:29 AM
Patty_b

Compare us with Chelsea and Lampard (unfortunately). 'Novice' manager with a inconsistent squad last season that finished just below us.

Even though they've not looked anything special this season, they are getting consistently positive results, and progressed from their Champions League group.

The main difference between us and them from last season is that they spent almost 1/4 billion on good players in positions that they needed to improve. We did not.

We bought a few players that look like they will come good in a couple of years, a striker that we needed (albeit with a few hundred thousand miles on the clock) and a left back which was a nice to have.

We did not buy another Centre back that we needed, a DM that we needed. We didn't get a right winger that we've needed for so long it's beyond ridiculous. And they are probably the minimum that we needed to get in.

It doesn't matter who the manager is or what they do, if we carry on going into the new season with a squad that everybody knows is still severely lacking in too many positions, then all we can ever do is wildly overachieve. Anything good we do, it's not a 'novice manager' overachieving, it's the whole £#%&!ing club overachieving.

It does not matter that we're Man United and by rights we should be competing at the top of the league and playing in Champions League knockout games. If the majority of fans know we're pretty much £#%&!ed going into the season, the it cannot be a surprise when things go to shit during the season.

Unread 09-12-2020, 11:33 AM
Ethers

Don’t want to make excuses, but Chelsea were in a joke of a group, and we’re 3 points behind them with a game in hand?

I don’t think it’s particularly clear they’re doing better than us at all

Unread 09-12-2020, 11:38 AM
Ronny

A modern defensive coach asap.
Ole gets the rest of the season.
identify who we want next and line him up.
Use the transfer window to move on Pogba.Lingard Jones etc.
Succession planning like we mean it.

Unread 09-12-2020, 11:40 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Don’t want to make excuses, but Chelsea were in a joke of a group, and we’re 3 points behind them with a game in hand?

I don’t think it’s particularly clear they’re doing better than us at all
I know, I said they've not been anything special, but they have been more consistent and difficult to beat compared to last season. Only defeat in the league came against Liverpool with 10 men. I hope their wheels come off and they plummet. But I don't see that happening unfortunately. It can't be a coincidence that they look better than they did last season after spending 1/4 billion on good players in positions they needed to improve upon.

Unread 09-12-2020, 11:50 AM
tatty

If Ole wants to give himself of still being in a job next summer he should play all the 2nd/3rd stringers in the Europa and leave the 1st team squad for the league.

Put the cleaner in at CB if needs be.

Unread 09-12-2020, 12:00 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
If Ole wants to give himself of still being in a job next summer he should play all the 2nd/3rd stringers in the Europa and leave the 1st team squad for the league.

Put the cleaner in at CB if needs be.

and Doris the Mop Lady has caught Neymar late there...she's on a yellow...