United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 28-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Because it was taken long before the deflection and gives no idea of the speed of the ball. He was practically lay down before Evans touched it. He misjudged the pace of the ball. It was bad luck, but he could've done better imo, just a bit of a lack of concentration.

I am harsh on keepers though
OK, Lev Yashin.

Unread 28-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Because it was taken long before the deflection and gives no idea of the speed of the ball. He was practically lay down before Evans touched it. He misjudged the pace of the ball. It was bad luck, but he could've done better imo, just a bit of a lack of concentration.

You're talking shit.

And this is coming from someone who is still a staunch 'maybe ' on de gea.

Unread 28-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Grimson

Quote:
It bobbled along the floor
Quote:
It was trundling and bobbling along the floor before the deflection too.
Quote:
He should've saved it after the deflection too tbh. It wasn't moving with any pace and bounced over his leg. Slightly unlucky, but still.
Quote:

I really think you need to watch it again. You're saying a couple of things that are wrong.

Evans is a couple of feet away (in the screen shot). The deflection is less than a second later. DDG is on his feet. The original shot was along the ground - but not after it was deflected.

The shot was along the ground so he dived along the ground. Do you think he's supposed to wait to see if Evans deflects it, and then dive if he doesn't? It doesn't work that way. You react to shots automatically. If Evans doesn't deflect it, it's a comfortable save. And if a keeper waits for a deflection and it doesn't come, he's beaten.

While going down, the shot was deflected. 'Misjudging' the pace doesn't come into it. The deflection took pace off the ball and sent it spinning up into the air over him. He' on the way down - if you know your physics, it's impossible to go back up again. He took a swing with his leg but it was already over him. The ball was not 'bobbling along the floor' after the deflection. The deflection took it into the air. He was on the ground. You're right about the bad luck part.

It's literally insane to blame the goalkeeper for this goal.

Unread 28-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Ethers

Dunk is so wrong here it's painful.

Unread 28-12-2013, 12:49 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I really think you need to watch it again. You're saying a couple of things that are wrong.

Evans is a couple of feet away (in the screen shot). The deflection is less than a second later. DDG is on his feet. The original shot was along the ground - but not after it was deflected.

The shot was along the ground so he dived along the ground. Do you think he's supposed to wait to see if Evans deflects it, and then dive if he doesn't? It doesn't work that way. You react to shots automatically. If Evans doesn't deflect it, it's a comfortable save. And if a keeper waits for a deflection and it doesn't come, he's beaten.

While going down, the shot was deflected. 'Misjudging' the pace doesn't come into it. The deflection took pace off the ball and sent it spinning up into the air over him. He' on the way down - if you know your physics, it's impossible to go back up again. He took a swing with his leg but it was already over him. The ball was not 'bobbling along the floor' after the deflection. The deflection took it into the air. He was on the ground. You're right about the bad luck part.

It's literally insane to blame the goalkeeper for this goal.

This is what 'right' looks like.

I think It's easy to feel de Gea should've done better because it flops so pathetically over the line...but, as you've pointed out, there is really nothing he can do there.

Unread 28-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Dunk is so wrong here it's painful.
What he's really complaining about is that DDG failed to predict that Evans would deflect the shot.

Unread 28-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Grimson

MOTD highlights show the view from behind the goal - at 3:20 of this video. You can see DDG is comfortably going to hold the ball low to his left. Evans pokes it up into the air (away from his hands) and back behind his dive. The ball actually goes in between his legs as he swings his right boot at it in desperation. Ironically, he'd probably have got it had Evans deflected it more to his right.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos...united-3-motd/

Unread 28-12-2013, 12:58 AM
armchair

I do worry a bit that ddg is going backwards. I think it's more we don't have a settled defence though.

Unread 28-12-2013, 01:02 AM
TheKitchenSink

there was no way ddg could have predicted if or how the ball was going to be deflected, as grimson rightly points out.

i don't think evans had much choice but to try and deflect it away either, though. if he'd just let it roll under his foot and it had gone in he would have looked like even more of a £#%&!er than usual.

it was just one of those freak goals, they happen. if any blame is to be leveled it's at the defenders who let meyler stroll into the box and shoot in the first place.

Unread 28-12-2013, 04:42 AM
taff

Quote:
DdG misjudged the pace on that second goal, badly, he was lay down before Evans touched it. He still had plenty of time to re-adjust but couldn't because he was prostrate on the floor. Only a small error, but it looked awful.

He could've done much better with the Everton goal too imo, resembled the guy in 5 a side who objects to taking his turn in goal and just flicks a foot out as a token effort to prevent a goal.

Just looks a little more laid back/relaxed than he did 2nd half of last season, not quite as sharp for me.
could do very little about the goal for me, but i don't entirely disagree with that last bit. i get the impression he's not being pushed quite as hard as he was under ferguson/steele, and whilst he still has the capability to pull off top-drawer saves (and has been left horrendously exposed at times) he's looked a bit slapdash on occasion. he's also without any serious competition, which can't be a healthy situation for a keeper who is still developing.

Unread 28-12-2013, 05:31 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKitchenSink
there was no way ddg could have predicted if or how the ball was going to be deflected, as grimson rightly points out.

i don't think evans had much choice but to try and deflect it away either, though. if he'd just let it roll under his foot and it had gone in he would have looked like even more of a w***** than usual.

it was just one of those freak goals, they happen. if any blame is to be leveled it's at the defenders who let meyler stroll into the box and shoot in the first place.
This.

Don't understand the shit Evans gets on here. Rio and Vidic both dropped plenty of bollox and Evans is excellent on the ball. Always thought Rio over-rated in this area where he often dallied, then hoofed it 50 yards to the opposite CH. Rio's anticipation was great and he was quick, stayed on his feet and rarely lunged but he had a tendency to nod off. Evans will still get better and I reckon him and Joneseh will be the cornerstone of our defence with good backup from Smalling.

Unread 28-12-2013, 05:37 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
could do very little about the goal for me, but i don't entirely disagree with that last bit. i get the impression he's not being pushed quite as hard as he was under ferguson/steele, and whilst he still has the capability to pull off top-drawer saves (and has been left horrendously exposed at times) he's looked a bit slapdash on occasion. he's also without any serious competition, which can't be a healthy situation for a keeper who is still developing.
I wouldn't disagree about the competition thing - it usually helps.

I'd still put him exactly dead last in the list of things that we need to be worrying about.

Unread 28-12-2013, 05:49 AM
believe

Quote:

I'd still put him exactly dead last in the list of things that we need to be worrying about.

Unread 28-12-2013, 12:17 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:

This.

Each to their own, but I don't agree that he's dropped off the pace this season. The occasional minor error - which happens to every keeper every season ever - but he is otherwise one of our best players.

Unread 28-12-2013, 12:21 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Magnifcent Dave gone off the boil

Most consistent keeper in the league this year, and he's been playing behind some right horror shows.

Unread 28-12-2013, 01:26 PM
JW

Daft to blame him for the Evans OG, Evans has established himself in Utds side and I have no problem with him,but he was slow to put his boot through the ball for the goal at Hull,not Ddg fault ,that's nitpicking.
I heard Utd arrived late at Hull (traffic) and the pre match preparations were hurried ,excuse I know ,but they were pants in the first 15 minutes.