United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-08-2008, 02:59 PM
#@&%!y sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It's happening...

Manchester City is in turmoil after arrest warrants were issued on the club's billionaire owner Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife. (Manchester Evening News, 1353)

MANCHESTER City was in turmoil today after arrest warrants were issued on the club's billionaire owner Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife.

The deposed former Thai prime minister confirmed the couple had fled to Britain rather than face corruption charges at home.

A court in Bangkok issued the warrant after Mr Shinawatra and wife Pojaman - who has already been sentenced to three years in jail and was free only as part of her appeal - failed to turn up for a hearing this morning.

Thai authorities could now seek to extradite the pair unless they claim political asylum in Britain.

Mr Shinawatra confirmed in a hand-written note, published today, that he and his wife were travelling 'to reside in England' because 'dictatorship' in Thai politics was interfering with the justice system. It is understood the couple's three children are already in London.

The City owner made no comment on rumours he would claim asylum.

Legal officials in Bangkok confirmed the case against Mr Shinawatra and his wife was likely to go ahead in his absence - leaving Manchester City with an uncertain future.

The Premier League rulebook says any director is automatically disqualified if they are convicted of one of a number of listed offences by a 'competent court' anywhere in the world.

The list includes 'corrupt transactions with public agents', 'evasion of liability by deception', 'obtaining by deception' and 'cheating the public revenue'.

Senior league sources suggested Manchester City's position would have to be reviewed if Mr Shinawatra was convicted in Thailand.

A Home Office spokesman said any moves to extradite a non-British citizen from the country would depend on the nature of the charges and the status of the foreign court.

Britain would normally extradite to Thailand, he added - unless the person concerned was in the process of seeking asylum.

The spokesman refused to say whether the City owner or his family had already taken that option.

"We do not comment on individual cases," he said.

Some £800m of Mr Shinawatra's fortune has already been frozen by authorities in Bangkok pending the outcome of his trial.

Corruption alleged

Mr Shinawatra and his wife - who had been allowed to travel to Beijing for opening ceremony of the Olympic Games - were believed to have booked tickets on a flight from China to Thailand.

It is understood they failed to board the plane and instead made for London.

The couple had been due to appear before the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions, in a case involving an allegedly unlawful property purchase.

Mr Shinawatra and his wife face several court cases related to alleged abuse of power and corruption during his five years in power. He was deposed in a military coup in 2006.

In the handwritten note, read out on state-owned Thai TV today, the ex-PM said: "My wife and I have travelled to reside in England.

"If I still have luck, I would come back and die on Thai soil like every other Thai person.

"What happened to my family and me is like fruit from a poisonous tree - the fruit will also be poisoned.

"There is a continuation of dictatorship in managing Thai politics... which is followed by interference in the justice system."

Kriangkrai Juengjaturapit, chief judge of the court, has indicated the trial is likely to go ahead without the defendants, and a verdict issues.

Mr Shinawatra, who had previously insisted he would fight the charges in his home country, has said he has no intention of selling Manchester City.

'Injustice'

Mr Shinawatra controversially bought City for £80m this time last year and there was huge hopes among Blues fans that the billionaire would use part of his fortune to bankroll the Eastlands club to such an extent that City could challenge the Big Four dominance of the Premier League.

The M.E.N. revealed last week that he's been attempting to raise funds in the Middle East and India to bolster investment with City - a move that has led to analysts predicting that he has effectively put the club up for sale.

The lack of funds at City has led to some supporters becoming disenchanted, especially with players Vedran Corluka and Stephen Ireland being linked with apparent bargain moves to Tottenham and Sunderland respectively.

Thaksin was ousted by a military coup in Thailand in 2006 and he went into exile in Britain. However, his massive popularity in the countryside ensured a generally pro-Thaksin party won December's General Election.

Thai courts have accepted a string of corruption cases against Mr Shinawatra and his inner circle and the guilty verdict against his wife suggested they were not going to be cowed by his wealth or influence.

Unread 11-08-2008, 03:16 PM
SilverSurfer

A City supporting mate of mine from the media says he recognises the insider on the second poster straight away - is absolutely convinced that it's the contracts lawyer and is convinced its 100% legit.

Unread 11-08-2008, 03:21 PM
magic_cantona

Oh, this would be perfect.

Just perfect.

Too perfect to actually happen?

Unread 11-08-2008, 03:23 PM
MrBishi

Unread 11-08-2008, 03:28 PM
#@&%!y sod

http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit....id=21843077310

Unread 11-08-2008, 04:31 PM
£#%&! KFC

MARK Hughes is the new favourite to be the next Premiership manager to leave his post, according to Ladbrokes.
The Welshman is in to 3/1, from 14/1, following a day of speculation surrounding Manchester City owner Thaksin
Shinawatra.

Unread 11-08-2008, 05:30 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
MARK Hughes is the new favourite to be the next Premiership manager to leave his post, according to Ladbrokes.
The Welshman is in to 3/1, from 14/1, following a day of speculation surrounding Manchester City owner Thaksin
Shinawatra.

great stuff! I've got 20k vcash on him at 16/1

Unread 11-08-2008, 05:41 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

i'm sorry guys but i'm far too cynical to believe this will affect city. the FA are just too bent; not that the "fit and proper persons test has been of much use before, but even if he were to be tried in absentia I'm not sure that would hold up in England, i.e. if UK law thinks this is a valid conviction

Unread 11-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
i'm sorry guys but i'm far too cynical to believe this will affect city. the FA are just too bent; not that the "fit and proper persons test has been of much use before, but even if he were to be tried in absentia I'm not sure that would hold up in England, i.e. if UK law thinks this is a valid conviction
Got to agree. Reckon £#%&! all will happen about this, don't even think Sparky will leave tbh.

Unread 11-08-2008, 05:56 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Got to agree. Reckon £#%&! all will happen about this, don't even think Sparky will leave tbh.
you wanna bet mofo....and I mean real money not vcash

Unread 11-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Ether

Quote:
you wanna bet mofo....and I mean real money not vcash
No

I'm not saying it's all bullshit, just not getting my hopes up too high. Can just see them squirming out of it somehow.

Unread 11-08-2008, 06:00 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
No

I'm not saying it's all bullshit, just not getting my hopes up too high. Can just see them squirming out of it somehow.
maybe not this time

and Hughes is squirming.....right the £#%&! out of dodge

Unread 11-08-2008, 06:16 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
maybe not this time

and Hughes is squirming.....right the £#%&! out of dodge
I do hope yer right but I bet it just gets swept under the carpet, maybe its just because its city [and the whole country don't give a £#%&!] but even in the reportage of it, it didn't seem like much was expected to happen. Sky as peer groped around for an expert who basically speculated like you or I could. Theres not enough in this yet to get me excited...fingers crossed tomorrow is another day

Unread 11-08-2008, 06:36 PM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
Its not so much the "fit and proper" persons thing that is the issue here. The main issue is that he's not going to be able to get his hands on the bulk of his money, which (if talks of city already missing payments on loans he's taken on their behalf are true) leaves them in danger of going into administration.

Unread 11-08-2008, 06:38 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
Its not so much the "fit and proper" persons thing that is the issue here. The main issue is that he's not going to be able to get his hands on the bulk of his money, which (if talks of city already missing payments on loans he's taken on their behalf are true) leaves them in danger of going into administration.
thats true enough i suppose...presumably he can't lay his hands on that until he is exonnerated by the Thai government...which he won't be

Unread 11-08-2008, 06:53 PM
borsuk

we've got 250 quid+ extra from armchair's donate thing atm. that should be enough to put in a bid. then we can asset strip what we can - the blue ketchup hotdog stand should be worth something at least

Unread 11-08-2008, 07:29 PM
ScarFace

put the 250 on hughes leaving, do it armchair, dooooooooooo it

Unread 11-08-2008, 07:54 PM
wonky no

i'm in £#%&!ing tears here!

Unread 11-08-2008, 08:03 PM
#@&%!y sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
put the 250 on hughes leaving, do it armchair, dooooooooooo it
and spend the winnings on a fred piss up