United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-07-2008, 03:25 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yeah, I actually got a bit caught up in all that and in the end wanted Flu to win.

You have to feel, with Guerron off to Spain and the struggle they'll face to keep Bolanos, Manso, Vera etc, United will go into the the tournament in Japan as strong favourites.
I was rooting for Flu too. They'd probably have won it if their strikers (Washington in particular) weren't so wasteful.

I really hope United approach the World Club Cup with the right attitude and don't take our opponents to lightly. I really want us to win it. Without doubt, LDC will approach the game(s) as the most important they've ever played in.

Unread 04-07-2008, 03:35 PM
S/Side.Red

Washington was £#%&!ing awful. See that miss early on with his right foot?

Out of interest, I think it's Pachuca from Mexico representing CONCACAF and Waitakere United of Australia who have qualified so far. African and Asian Champions League winners will be decided in November. United and Quito go straight into the semi-finals, where they're kept apart, while the other six clubs start at the qualification or quarter-final stage. United's semi will be on 18th December at the International stadium, Yokohama.

Unread 04-07-2008, 03:46 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Washington was £#%&!ing awful. See that miss early on with his right foot?
Just after Flu had gone one down? Yea, that was terrible. Even the Setanta commentator was laying into him

Quote:
United's semi will be on 18th December at the International stadium, Yokohama.
Can't wait...booking the flights this weekend

Unread 04-07-2008, 03:54 PM
S/Side.Red

Nice one. Incidentally, this is the last edition of the tournament to be held in Tokyo for a while, before it moves to the Middle East next year.

We've also avoided Pachuca in the last four. Our semi will be against the winner of the match between the Asian champions and the qualifying match between Waitakere Utd and Japanese champions.

Unread 04-07-2008, 04:02 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Nice one. Incidentally, this is the last edition of the tournament to be held in Tokyo for a while, before it moves to the Middle East next year.

We've also avoided Pachuca in the last four. Our semi will be against the winner of the match between the Asian champions and the qualifying match between Waitakere Utd and Japanese champions.
Yea, I read the game will be held in Dubai for seasons 09/10 & 10/11. I think Portugal tried to get it too, but failed. Shame - would have been good to see the tournament finally come to Europe.

Unread 04-07-2008, 04:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Yea, I read the game will be held in Dubai for seasons 09/10 & 10/11. I think Portugal tried to get it too, but failed. Shame - would have been good to see the tournament finally come to Europe.
What would be great would be for it to go back to the old format where it was just Europe against South America, played over two legs. Imagine going to watch United play Boca Juniors at La Bombonera, or Sao Paulo at Morumbi. That really would be something.

Unread 04-07-2008, 04:12 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
What would be great would be for it to go back to the old format where it was just Europe against South America, played over two legs. Imagine going to watch United play Boca Juniors at La Bombonera, or Sao Paulo at Morumbi. That really would be something.
That'd be ideal, but I doubt it'll ever happen. They became a one off games precisely because European clubs were refusing to go to South America by the 70s, because of the often brutal tactics employed by Copa Libertadores champions. Our own games against Estudiantes in 1968 being the perfect example.

I'd love for it to happen though. Can you imagine 10,000 reads going down to Buenos Aires for a game with Boca or River

Unread 04-07-2008, 04:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Were there any problems in Brazil in 2000? United played Vasco at the Maracana. Got battered, of course, but was a fascinating spectacle.
Closed Thread