United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-10-2007, 06:04 PM
legendary saf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy

Mascherano is terrific but if Hargreaves wasn't playing for England you'd be rating him highly, no doubt about it.
Firstly, I don't care about which national team players represent. Anyway...

OH isn't in Mascherano's class, simple as that. I wasn't slating him as I think in the little football he's played for us he's done pretty well and he'll be an important player for us.

And to say Masch was 'garbage' yesterday was worth a laugh aswell.

Unread 29-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary saf
Firstly, I don't care about which national team players represent.
Utter tosh

Unread 29-10-2007, 06:11 PM
MUFC One Love

To say Mascherano is a different class to Hargreaves is simply laughable. Yet another case of fancy name-itis. Anyone with a nice name and who has plenty of youtube shite and is rated by a certain criteria of people is "class" with people like you.

Mascherano has done £#%&! all at Liverpool really, I think he is a good player but to say he's a different class to Hargreaves is funny.

Hagreaves can tackle, hold the ball well, pass it well, shoot. Mascherano is more of a tackler, his passing against Arsenal was £#%&!ing dire.

Unread 29-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary saf
Firstly, I don't care about which national team players represent. Anyway...
Well that's a load of %@#$&!s. Just stick to posting in the football manager threads. At least you seem to know what you are on about there sunshine.

Unread 30-10-2007, 04:31 AM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
To say Mascherano is a different class to Hargreaves is simply laughable. Yet another case of fancy name-itis. Anyone with a nice name and who has plenty of youtube shite and is rated by a certain criteria of people is "class" with people like you.

Mascherano has done £#%&! all at Liverpool really, I think he is a good player but to say he's a different class to Hargreaves is funny.

Hagreaves can tackle, hold the ball well, pass it well, shoot. Mascherano is more of a tackler, his passing against Arsenal was £#%&!ing dire.
Did you see mascherano in Champions league final dear? I will be happy the day hargreaves can do just that for us. He hasn't done yet though. neither for us nor for bayern munich.

Unread 30-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Macca1990

Hargreaves > Mascherano

NFT.

Unread 30-10-2007, 09:43 AM
antonin jablonsky

[quote=sharath;620044]Did you see mascherano in Champions league final dear? QUOTE]

He was excellent in that game, he wasn't on Sunday he was poor. He has been good when I've seen him for Argentina, he hasn't that often when I've seen him for Liverpool. I think Hargreaves is a far better player.
BRL who the £#%&! are you to decide that I can't mention that I thought a United player played well in a match, just 'cos you're allergic to him? #@&%!.

Unread 30-10-2007, 02:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Mascherano has done £#%&! all at Liverpool really.
That's not really true. He's very highly regarded there by the fans and players based on his performances so far.

He was excellent against Chelsea in the semi-final at Anfield last year. He was excellent in the final. Very good on Sunday, too.

Just like he was at the World Cup. To suggest there is no footballing basis for rating him so highly is a joke, tbh.

Unread 30-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Smeggs

Both quality players imo. I'm happy with what i've seen of Hargreaves so far in the flesh and on tv. I'm really hoping that he plays a blinder on sunday, nulifies fabregas et al and helps us to a cracking result.

I like macherano, have done for a while, when i have seen him in 90mins for the dippers i have been impressed and he has been consistently excellent for argentina.

The difference as stated before is that for united we require a more dynamic player rather than just a midfield stopper who is neat and tidy and shields the back 4 (i'm not even sure they need one either). Why is there the need for every single team to have a Makelele type player after those 1st 2 chelski titles? fingers crossed on the knee front but OH looks hungry for success and is an excellent addition to the squad

Don't forget we won the league Carrick and Scholes and i swear carrick didn't make a sliding tackle till after xmas!

Unread 30-10-2007, 03:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggs
The difference as stated before is that for united we require a more dynamic player rather than just a midfield stopper who is neat and tidy and shields the back 4 (i'm not even sure they need one either).
Under the right manager (not Benitez) there is a lot more to be brought out of Mascherano in terms of offering more in an attacking sense. He's got great vision and his range of passing is actually very good. He's also comfortable in possession. He's not one of these limited players you usually see playing in front of the back four. I'm not saying he's a Carrick, but I think he's much more of a footballer than Makelele was.

I think he'd be good in any team, no matter what style of football they played.

Unread 30-10-2007, 03:45 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Under the right manager (not Benitez) there is a lot more to be brought out of Mascherano in terms of offering more in an attacking sense. He's got great vision and his range of passing is actually very good. He's also comfortable in possession. He's not one of these limited players you usually see playing in front of the back four. I'm not saying he's a Carrick, but I think he's much more of a footballer than Makelele was.

I think he'd be good in any team, no matter what style of football they played.
Hope your as charitable to Hargo if the Arse over-run our midfield like they did the dippers. Doubt many will be.

Unread 30-10-2007, 03:50 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Hope your as charitable to Hargo if the Arse over-run our midfield like they did the dippers. Doubt many will be.
I'm not sure Arsenal really overran the Liverpool midfield as such. I think it was often more a case of Liverpool getting the early goal and Benitez sitting back and protecting the lead. Either way, given Mascherano's role in the Liverpool system I don't think you can really blame him for them not controlling the midfield. He did an excellent job of attaining possession or closing down moves in his key areas, which was his job on the day.

Unread 30-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Whalefish

Dippers midfield turned to shit when Alonso went off. Up to then he'd been excellent.

Mascherano was lucky to stay on the pitch tbh. Two footed challenge off the ground. Letter of the law says he should've gone but he didn't.

Good player though.

Unread 30-10-2007, 03:54 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I'm not sure Arsenal really overran the Liverpool midfield as such. I think it was often more a case of Liverpool getting the early goal and Benitez sitting back and protecting the lead. Either way, given Mascherano's role in the Liverpool system I don't think you can really blame him for them not controlling the midfield. He did an excellent job of attaining possession or closing down moves in his key areas, which was his job on the day.
He did an ok job of a very limited task is what you are saying and I wouldn't entirely agree. I guarantee that the knives would be out given a similar performance by Hargreaves on Satdee.

Unread 30-10-2007, 03:55 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
That's not really true. He's very highly regarded there by the fans and players based on his performances so far.

He was excellent against Chelsea in the semi-final at Anfield last year. He was excellent in the final. Very good on Sunday, too.

Just like he was at the World Cup. To suggest there is no footballing basis for rating him so highly is a joke, tbh.
Maybe I exaggerated, so what? It's just like saying he is a different class to Hargreaves. Hargreaves has more to his game than just 'sitting' imo.

The fact is it's usually the 16-18 year old foreign "Man U" fans who crucify our own players and rave about others with fancy names for fancy countries who is rated by numpties on shit forums and are good on youtube.

Unread 30-10-2007, 04:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
He did an ok job of a very limited task is what you are saying and I wouldn't entirely agree. I guarantee that the knives would be out given a similar performance by Hargreaves on Satdee.
Well I think Hargreaves performs a different role with different duties, so criticism may be justified if he was left chasing shadows as they knocked the ball around on Saturday. Don't think it'll happen, mind.

Unread 30-10-2007, 04:09 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Well I think Hargreaves performs a different role with different duties, so criticism may be justified if he was left chasing shadows as they knocked the ball around on Saturday. Don't think it'll happen, mind.
Yeah, he has far more to do than sit in front of a back 4 with a supporting midfielder next to him and another in front and not get anywhere near Fabregas. His job is much harder than that, he'd still get slaughtered by some. Anyway, I expect Hargo to have an excellent game too.

Unread 30-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
I think you're right there.

One of the reasons Liverpool sat so deep was their lack of pace in defence. Hyypia and Carragher is surely one of the slowest defensive pairings in the league and you could see how concerned they were about them being exposed. This was one of the reasons they tucked their fullbacks in as tightly as they did as well.

Torres was supposed to be their primary out ball, but they just ended up hammering long balls to him and he looked £#%&!ed from the first minute anyway.

Despite all this, how many times did they actually get broken down? 2 shots on target for Arsenal? I think a lot of credit for that should go to Mascherano.

Unread 30-10-2007, 04:12 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Yeah, he has far more to do than sit in front of a back 4 with a supporting midfielder next to him and another in front and not get anywhere near Fabregas. His job is much harder than that, he'd still get slaughtered by some. Anyway, I expect Hargo to have an excellent game too.
Well, as I pointed out earlier I think Mascherano has it in his locker to be given more responsibilities, but the job he does is a very difficult one and takes a very good player to perform it as well as he does.

Running around a lot doesn't mean you're doing a more difficult job.

Unread 30-10-2007, 04:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Despite all this, how many times did they actually get broken down? 2 shots on target for Arsenal? I think a lot of credit for that should go to Mascherano.
I was actually going to mention that. I think when judging the performance of someone like Mascherano I'd look more at how often the opposition actually broke through in the final third, rather than their possession or controlling of the midfield.

I thought he did very well. He seems to impress in most of the big games at the moment. I think he only turned 23 in the summer, too.
Closed Thread