United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Pete's Shoes

Default Re: Gartside and all this Old Firm nonsense...

In the rules of the game a team can apply to any FA to join their league. Haven't read the whole post so for example Berwick in England play in the Scots lg. So all this they shouldn't be allowed, Welsh teams shd £#%&! off etc etc is %@#$&!s. Bayern Munich could apply to play in England if they wanted and the FA would consider it.
If Rangers/Celtic do apply they would undoubtedly come in at Championship level I reckon. The money men will welcome them, the police, local authorities less so.
They're only doin this because the powers that be at the Scottish FA have let their national game deteriorate to disastarous levels.

Unread 11-11-2009, 02:31 PM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
half time draw

Unread 11-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Smeggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by In 76 now this is true
The Welsh league was a bit of a £#%&! up when it was set up.
Several clubs opted out as they wanted to play in the English FA Cup and thought they would progress through the English leagues.
They then banned the stay away clubs from the Welsh FA Cup, which had previously got the likes of Wrexham into Europe.
It then resulted in some clubs playing games in England to get round not having to join the league.
When the league started, the clubs in the league paid good money, it attracted a lot of lower league pro's who were picking up better money and the likes of Barry Town and inter Cardiff paid big money.
The way footballs changed, Im sure the likes of Colwyn Bay and Merthyr Tydfil would benefit more from being in it, even Wrexham.
Have you ever heard of the word 'paragraph' pal?

Unread 11-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Maybe, they should of course have to go through the leagues as FC United have to. Just for the sake of fairness. It'd have to be a fully merged league as well wouldn't it, to be fair to other Scotch teams too.

Personally i think Swansea and Kairdiff should be in whatever league the Welsh one is called now, with Airbus UK. Just a historical anomoly that they aren't.
Yes but this isn't strictly true, FC entered the League structure at a level the governing bodies felt appropriate as I understand it. They didn't have to play at the lowest level possible and go up from there. Like Hough End on a Sunday or whatever. The same applies to the Glaswegians.

* For the benefit of the FC fans on here I'm not for one minute suggesting they should have had to start at Hough End!

Unread 11-11-2009, 07:11 PM
taff

i'd welcome celtic and rangers joining the prem 'cos it'll show them up as the mediocrities they are. the clueless jock @#%&!s seem to think they'll show up down here and start challenging for the title, whereas anyone with half a brain knows they'll be slumming it in mid table with the likes of stoke, fulham and liverpool.

Unread 11-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Horst_ Bucholst

Rangers, Celtic & a 'Dublin' team will be invited into the PL2. They already have Cardiff & probably Swansea.

Relegation will be removed within a decade of the new order being set up and it will be franchised.
One or possibly both of the Edinburgh teams will get in eventually when it goes formally to invited franchise operation.

This is the understood aim of all this. Anyone who thinks it isnt is naive.

Unread 12-11-2009, 01:01 AM
bruntyboy

Once/if Rangers and Celtic managed to get out of Premiership 2 why do they think anybody would be interested in it (not that they'd be any interest in it other than in Glasgow when they were in it)? What's the interest level in the Championship matches at the moment? Why do they think SKY would shell out good money for the 2nd tier - can you see United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea giving away more TV money?

Unread 12-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruntyboy
Once/if Rangers and Celtic managed to get out of Premiership 2 why do they think anybody would be interested in it (not that they'd be any interest in it other than in Glasgow when they were in it)? What's the interest level in the Championship matches at the moment? Why do they think SKY would shell out good money for the 2nd tier - can you see United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea giving away more TV money?
I'm guessing here but I bet everyone in Scotland has their favourite "old firm" team. If they were playing in England, Sky would sell more subscriptions in Scotland.

The thing they haven't thought of is that Newcastle, Middlesborough, Sunderland and Hull have difficulty attracting players due to their locations. We've been knocked back in the past by players because we weren't in London. Who is going to go to Glasgow? Not enough for them to break into the top 4. They will make more money by being mediocre in the Premiership than they will by winning their own league but if they think they'll get 50,000 every game to watch shite they're mistaken imho.

Unread 12-11-2009, 05:04 AM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
I'm guessing here but I bet everyone in Scotland has their favourite "old firm" team. If they were playing in England, Sky would sell more subscriptions in Scotland.

The thing they haven't thought of is that Newcastle, Middlesborough, Sunderland and Hull have difficulty attracting players due to their locations. We've been knocked back in the past by players because we weren't in London. Who is going to go to Glasgow? Not enough for them to break into the top 4. They will make more money by being mediocre in the Premiership than they will by winning their own league but if they think they'll get 50,000 every game to watch shite they're mistaken imho.
in fact you are mistaken my friend. They already get more than that to watch that shite in jockland. premier 2 ( forgettign premier 1 ) will be far better than scottish league. In fact I think our championship has an average attendance of more than proper 1st division leagues in most countries.

Note here that gartside is not just talking about picking the current top 18 sides of championship. it will be pick and choose. the teams with most followers, high reputation.

I don't know why a league of newcastle, celtic, rangers, middelsborough, leeds, forest, wolves etc won't be that attractive. In fact for me it would be far better than current championship.

Also you will have the added benefit of not falling into shit after relegation. So most premier 1 sides will play more free flowing football. That's the whole idea of gartside's plan. In fact if I my memory serves right he was using the examples of NBA, NFL to show how many different sides compete for the title because of no relegation, salary cap and equal distribution of money.

I actually think this will go through. For example imagine getting another guarenteed 5m or 10m for people like hicks and glazers. They would jump at that.

Unread 12-11-2009, 05:53 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
I actually think this will go through. For example imagine getting another guarenteed 5m or 10m for people like hicks and glazers. They would jump at that.
they probably would, but this would shrink the premier league by two clubs iirc. that's four games, including two home games, less = even with big gates from rangers and celtic it would still reduce income, not increase it.

Unread 12-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete's Shoes

* For the benefit of the FC fans on here I'm not for one minute suggesting they should have had to start at Hough End!
It would have been a good laugh I reckon.

Unread 12-11-2009, 11:15 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

if murdochio says their in then they are in, fact end of nft.

Unread 12-11-2009, 11:27 AM
redhegemony

I think there are structural problems as the Jockos must be affiliated to the SFA and are members of the SPL neither of who would want it to happen as it would diminish the Scottish national game at league and international level.

The PL may want it to happen but would the FA? the logic would be that the Four Home Associations would become one as in the Olympics. I would guess that there would be some mechanism for an national FA to appeal to FIFA if clubs were poached into other national leagues.

Unread 12-11-2009, 11:34 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
I think there are structural problems as the Jockos must be affiliated to the SFA and are members of the SPL neither of who would want it to happen as it would diminish the Scottish national game at league and international level.

The PL may want it to happen but would the FA? the logic would be that the Four Home Associations would become one as in the Olympics. I would guess that there would be some mechanism for an national FA to appeal to FIFA if clubs were poached into other national leagues.
All true but what happened when the @#%&!s set up the prem. Forget rules £ $%

Unread 12-11-2009, 11:41 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
All true but what happened when the @#%&!s set up the prem. Forget rules £ $%
tis true but i think the movement into a different national association requires FIA approval and given their current attitude towards the big premier league clubs that might not be popular especially if the FA and SFa oppose.

The logic would of course be an European PL with the Jockos outside FIA/UEFA.

Unread 12-11-2009, 12:05 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
tis true but i think the movement into a different national association requires FIA approval and given their current attitude towards the big premier league clubs that might not be popular especially if the FA and SFa oppose.

The logic would of course be an European PL with the Jockos outside FIA/UEFA.
All dependent on the murdoch marketing plan, the euro prem is already being played to a certain extent and the worldwide viewing figs for the prem are greater. The glazers are holding out for club viewing rights but me thinks murdoch will £#%&! em and keep the goose.

Unread 12-11-2009, 12:15 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
All dependent on the murdoch marketing plan, the euro prem is already being played to a certain extent and the worldwide viewing figs for the prem are greater. The glazers are holding out for club viewing rights but me thinks murdoch will £#%&! em and keep the goose.
The jockos need the PL and the small clubs need the jockos. The big clubs don't need either :-( way back in the early 1980's Scholar famously said that Spurs had more in common with Inter Milan than Coventry City.

Unread 12-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Wez

Breaking on SSN

Premier League clubs reject the proposal to admit Celtic and Rangers into the league

Unread 12-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
Breaking on SSN

Premier League clubs reject the proposal to admit Celtic and Rangers into the league

Good. @#%&!s.

Unread 12-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Jack Duckworth

good.

football without promotion and relegation? £#%&! off.
Closed Thread