United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:08 AM
marlo

not looking forward to this season at all.

maybe its just me but I can see the current for what's its worth and its far from good enough.

a team devoid of genuine pace, prolific goal scorers and that winning determination will not hit the ground running or put together a string of good performances.

berbatov and rooney uptop.
valencia and park on the flanks.

let's just see how that works with liverpool stronger,chelsea stronger and a more experianced arsenal team with arshavin etc.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo

maybe its just me but I can see the current for what's its worth and its far from good enough.

a team devoid of genuine pace, prolific goal scorers and that winning determination will not hit the ground running or put together a string of good performances.

let's just see how that works with liverpool stronger,chelsea stronger and a more experianced arsenal team with arshavin etc.
There's 2 lads with pace to burn.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:12 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Not sure Liverpool are much stronger? all they've done is add a defensively dodgy fullback? What have Chelsea done? Arsenal, well they may be more experienced, they also still have a centre forward who wants out and their best player eyeing Spain.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Every time I go to the Charity Shield I say - never again. Shit day out. Win - all smiles and rubbing it in. Lose - Oh well, it's just a warm up.

This time I mean it, not going but looking forward to the 15th and a fresh season with hopefully more consistently attractive attacking play than last term.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:19 AM
wiganste

Also, Anderson is no slouch, Carrick pings the ball around superbly well and if Nani gets his shit together (I'm not convinced he will but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt) then we have another pacey winger.

Defensively we are solid. We've got a good set of youngsters coming through. What's not to get excited about?

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:19 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Also, Anderson is no slouch, Carrick pings the ball around superbly well and if Nani gets his shit together (I'm not convinced he will but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt) then we have another pacey winger.

Defensively we are solid. We've got a good set of youngsters coming through. What's not to get excited about?
Liverpool winning the league?

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:21 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Liverpool winning the league?
They will be 8 or 9 points off the pace. They'll finish strong but only because they have no realistic chance of winning the title.

Glen Johnson doesn't take you from also rans to championship winners.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Yeah, pace isn't summat I'd say we are completely lacking in. Valencia is lightning, Rooney pretty quick, Rafael very quick too as are hargreaves and anderson for midfielders.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:24 AM
dunk

Quote:

I don't think you should be asking that question

I'll be alright once we're playing again, atm the season ended on a disappointing note, performance wise, and on reflection the whole season felt like hard work in terms of watching the games. Very little of the football was a joy to watch, and the few moments of quality tended to be provided by a certain somebody who will no longer be around to provide them. Then we have the Tevez affair, Ronaldo leaving and so on and so forth. Too much time with no football being played. It's not good.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:25 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Not sure Liverpool are much stronger? all they've done is add a defensively dodgy fullback? What have Chelsea done? Arsenal, well they may be more experienced, they also still have a centre forward who wants out and their best player eyeing Spain.
liverpool are the same team but with an attacking right back in glen johnson who will get balls into the box. with them setting up defensively he will give them that width they lack.

last season our best player eyed up spain but still was out best player.
wenger will add some steel to the midfield plus the whole squad is technically very good.

chelsea have the best squad in the league and will add 2 or 3 more names.
if you have have faith in united doing well then you would be stupidly biased to write off a team with a better squad.

wiganste - rooney pace is confirmed but valencia hasn't even played a game for us and hasn't played for a big club.otherthan that 2 fast players isn't good enough.we both know this...

our squad has been diluted far too much now.forget our defence for a minute and you see a very average forward line.
berbatov has been 'indifferent' for us, even his dad would admit that, then rooney is inconsistent at the best of times and an injury always occurs so then what are we left with?
park? valencia? obertan? owen?

honestly is that a united team? how many of the above are world class or players that get you off the edge of your seat? how many of them would start for arsenal or chelsea?
(put together a united/chelsea/liverpool/arsenal 11 and tell me how many of our players get in the front 6)

no matter how you paint it or try and put some sort of gloss on it, we are weaker than we were last season.

i hope I'm wrong but our squad doesn't fill me with hope unless its blind optimism.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:26 AM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

I'll be alright once we're playing again, atm the season ended on a disappointing note, performance wise, and on reflection the whole season felt like hard work in terms of watching the games. Very little of the football was a joy to watch, and the few moments of quality tended to be provided by a certain somebody who will no longer be around to provide them. Then we have the Tevez affair, Ronaldo leaving and so on and so forth. Too much time with no football being played. It's not good.
don't fall into that dipper trap of thinking titles are won in July, or August, or November. they are won in may, mainly by United.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:26 AM
wiganste

Quote:

You're on a right downer atm

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Part 36 Offer

boring boring Marlo, boring boring Marlo.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:29 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
liverpool are the same team but with an attacking right back in glen johnson who will get balls into the box. with them setting up defensively he will give them that width they lack.

wenger will add some steel to the midfield plus the whole squad is technically very good.

if you have have faith in united doing well then you would be stupidly biased to write off a team with a better squad.

wiganste - rooney pace is confirmed but valencia hasn't even played a game for us and hasn't played for a big club.otherthan that 2 fast players isn't good enough.we both know this...

our squad has been diluted far too much now.forget our defence for a minute and you see a very average forward line.
berbatov has been 'indifferent' for us, even his dad would admit that, then rooney is inconsistent at the best of times and an injury always occurs so then what are we left with?

honestly is that a united team? how many of the above are world class or players that get you off the edge of your seat? how many of them would start for arsenal or chelsea?
(put together a united/chelsea/liverpool/arsenal 11 and tell me how many of our players get in the front 6)

no matter how you paint it or try and put some sort of gloss on it, we are weaker than we were last season.

i hope I'm wrong but our squad doesn't fill me with hope unless its blind optimism.
I'm not writing anyone off, and i include United in that. I just based my point on what has actually happened in the transfer market so far not on what might happen. after all, Chelsea haven't signed 3 more players and nobody knows if we are going to sign any more.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:29 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

Yup, he's nearly as gloomy as marlo.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM
magic_cantona

Marlo, just write Uniteds chances off right now.Convince yourself that Chelsea or Liverpool are already Champions and that we are really going to struggle.

That way, anything other than relegation is a bonus.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:32 AM
dunk

Quote:
don't fall into that dipper trap of thinking titles are won in July, or August, or November. they are won in may, mainly by United.
I know that, but we didn't really play exhilarating football at all last season, I though it was a lull and we would explode into life this

Quote:

A bit, maybe. I'm looking forward to the progression of all the younger players, Anderson and Nani I expect to be barely recognisable from last season. Berbatov will improve with a full pre-season under his belt. The twins, Tosic, Ljajic and now Obertan should all be interesting to see.

I am left with the feeling that the departure of Ronaldo, and to a lesser extent Tevez, has denied us the opportunity of seeing what that last team could really do, really achieve. I felt they were 1 or 2 players and a little more experience away from perfection, now it feels like we are a million miles away.

That is probably because we aren't playing atm though.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:34 AM
wiganste

Quote:

A couple of things - Glen Johnson will not turn Liverpool into a title winning side. Yes, he's a good right back. But the way Liverpool play, his attacking play will be limited because they set their stall from the back and it's rare you see their back 4 break.

Chelsea - sure they have a good squad. That's been apparant for the last 5 years but we've dominated over the last 3 seasons and we have only lost 1 player of real note in those 3 seasons. Can Ronaldo be replaced? No, but it gives us something to think about and we will approach games differently now. Valencia will be a very good signing and he will provide plenty of balls into the area. Expect Michael Owen to profit

Arsenal - meh

As for our squad - if you can't get excited by the young talent coming through, there's not much hope left. Sure, it's great when we sign big names but I get greater pleasure seeing a youngster come though the ranks.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Gog Coch

Quote:
Yeah, pace isn't summat I'd say we are completely lacking in. Valencia is lightning, Rooney pretty quick, Rafael very quick too as are hargreaves and anderson for midfielders.
Yup, but you've forgotten that we will miss Scholes' incredible acceleration over 5 m . Second to none.

Unread 10-07-2009, 09:35 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I know that, but we didn't really play exhilarating football at all last season, I though it was a lull and we would explode into life this

A bit, maybe. I'm looking forward to the progression of all the younger players, Anderson and Nani I expect to be barely recognisable from last season. Berbatov will improve with a full pre-season under his belt. The twins, Tosic, Ljajic and now Obertan should all be interesting to see.

I am left with the feeling that the departure of Ronaldo, and to a lesser extent Tevez, has denied us the opportunity of seeing what that last team could really do, really achieve. I felt they were 1 or 2 players and a little more experience away from perfection, now it feels like we are a million miles away.

That is probably because we aren't playing atm though.
Maybe we will, we're obviously gonna miss Ronnie's goals but his departure provides opportunities for other players to step up and show what they can do. i'm genuinely excited by Rooney playing more centrally and further forward with a pacey winger outside him and a creative player like Berbie alongside him/.
Closed Thread