United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Tiberian

Valencia looks horrifically uncomfortable if he has to come more than 15 yards infield, not sure what people are seeing to suggest that he would be an effective central midfielder.

Unread 26-12-2012, 03:45 PM
believe

He's shit scared to get within five yards of another player. Perfect choice for CM imo.

Unread 26-12-2012, 03:47 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Valencia looks horrifically uncomfortable if he has to come more than 15 yards infield, not sure what people are seeing to suggest that he would be an effective central midfielder.
Hope and exasperation...

Unread 26-12-2012, 07:02 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
He's finished.

It's not just his lack of intelligence or poor execution (though to be fair he did a couple of decent things today) that are most telling, it's his unwillingness to make any kind of run off the ball.

There was a moment late on where Dea Gea had the ball after their move broke down and distributed wide to Hernandez. In the old days, our right winger (most notably Ronnie) would have been pelting full speed to keep up with the play and make the most of Newcastle's defence being off balance. Not once did Valencia break into anything faster than a swift jog, and by the time the ball was passed he had to stretch for it and picked up a yellow. It's just one example, but if you watch him, it happens all the time now. He just doesn't want to make runs independant of the ball. It's like he's hiding in plain sight, not taking chances with anything because he has no confidence.

This is an even bigger problem for us at home, because the pattern of play at OT often dictates that opportunities to break fast are fewer purely because of the defensive midset of the opposition. We cannot afford to be wasting good moments like that just because Valencia's head has gone.

Unread 26-12-2012, 07:07 PM
believe

there was also ten minutes late in the game where valencia looked eager for the ball and contributed to the eventual win. i've said for weeks it's a pschological thing with him but how he cures it I've no idea.

Unread 26-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
there was also ten minutes late in the game where valencia looked eager for the ball and contributed to the eventual win. i've said for weeks it's a pschological thing with him but how he cures it I've no idea.
He did pick up a little in that last period of the game, was not as indecisive as he has been recently, but the points that Utd99 made are all fairly valid. Finished is a bit strong maybe, he can still be effective in his limited way if he stops playing with so much fear, but watching Giggs at 39 on the other wing actually looking like a proper winger with ideas, creativity, instinctive problem solving, the variation that he brings, not a flattering comparison.

The lack of aggressive movement off the ball from Valencia has been a problem even at his best, a major contributory factor to his lack of goal threat, 10 in 85 league games is appalling for a key attacking player in the prime of his career.

Unread 26-12-2012, 08:00 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
This is true. However I've always made the point that because of who we are and what Valencia's strengths are there will be times where he will have good moments or contributions. It's the overall picture that is so alarming.

There are times, and not a few of them either, where he is stopped dead and his lack of any idea what to do next is almost palpable.
Closed Thread