United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-02-2013, 01:33 AM
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
tbf, I paid absolutely no attention to your opening post.
I'd like to say you are better than that but you aren't. Better than rog at least. I suppose that's something

Unread 10-02-2013, 01:44 AM
Neo

Schmeichel is the best I've ever seen. He was prone to a clanger on the odd occasion, but he would easily save us 10+ points a season with his shot-stopping ability. Unbelievable presence who literally owned the penalty area.

Van Der Sar should have been bought in during the summer of '99. He may have taken time to get to his best, but he would still have been far better than the likes of Barthez and the turds that followed.

In terms of natural ability I think De Gea could be better than both. He is far superior to Schmeichel with his kicking, and even better than Van Der Sar. I think his reflexes and agility are better than both Schmikes and Van Der Sar, too. He's also playing at a much higher level than the other two when they were in their early 20s. Just gotta hope that the media don't succeed in their mission to ruin him. £#%&!ers.

Unread 10-02-2013, 01:52 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark
How old was the dane when he joined?
28 according to wiki

born 1963
joined us in 91

Unread 10-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Stickman

Van Der Sar is closer to Schmeichal than hes getting credit for imo.

His consistency was absolutely crazy his last 2 seasons.

And as Grimson often pointed out, he never spilled the low ones, no matter where they bounced no matter what the surface. You were always confident it would stick.

Unread 10-02-2013, 02:07 AM
Why Don?

Van Der Sar scared the shit out of me towards the end of the 2010/2011 season. I just felt he wasn't as in control of his area as he had been.

Probably just nerves (mine) though.

Unread 10-02-2013, 02:19 AM
taff

both great keepers in different ways. schmikes was simply immense; dominated through sheer force of will and an imposing physical presence allied to superb reflexes. he'd plumb the lows every now and again but it didn't matter because his highs were so outstanding. may have been a bit of a @#%&! with it, but like a few others of that era, i'm glad he was.

VDS lacked that sense of stature, but was arguably a more exemplary keeper in a technical sense and only got better with time. he's really set the standard over recent years - in this country at least - and probably has the edge in terms of consistency, organisation and distribution (although i think schmeichel was somewhat underrated in that department; his kicking could be wayward but his throwing was excellent).

schmeichel probably has the edge for me because he was capable of some real showstoppers, enhanced by the attitude and bravado he brought to the position. but VDS runs him very close, and will always have a place in united history after moscow. we've been very fortunate to have both.

de gea is nowhere near either yet, but he's certainly shaping up in the right way. all three are streets ahead of the other shite we've had in the meantime, with the possible exception of barthez in his first season.

Unread 10-02-2013, 02:38 AM
skcollob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark
Agreed. One of the all time great. Ddg will be there within 3-5 years imo. How old was the dane when he joined?
Madrid or Barca?

Unread 10-02-2013, 03:11 AM
Stone Monkey

The very fact that VDS saved a do or die penalty in the CLF and Schmickkerrs signed for them @#%&!s says everything I need to know!! I lost all respect for that @#%&! when he signed for them.

Stepney
VDS
De Gea

As it stands

EDIT:: I just realised that Grimmers hasn't seen this thread yet. Best turn my @#%&!ter off!!

Unread 10-02-2013, 03:14 AM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Monkey
The very fact that VDS saved a do or die penalty in the CLF and Schmickkerrs signed for them @#%&!s says everything I need to know!! I lost all respect for that @#%&! when he signed for them.

Stepney
VDS
De Gea

As it stands

EDIT:: I just realised that Grimmers hasn't seenthis thread yet. Best turn my @#%&!ter off!!
Are you an actual monkey?

Unread 10-02-2013, 04:07 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogieop
im not entirely sure that schmeichel was a better keeper than vds tbh.
he wasn't

smikes was a beast but vds was an al lround better keeper. and with ball at feet he was like a sweeper at the back.

for me, vds by a whisker.

Unread 10-02-2013, 05:27 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

schmeichel was worth at least 20 points a season to us
best keeper ever imo

Unread 10-02-2013, 05:37 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Just gotta hope that the media don't succeed in their mission to ruin him. £#%&!ers.
When you say the media, do you mean United supporters?

Unread 10-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Signor Whippy

VDS is better than the other 2 simply because he is dutch. The dutch £#%&!ing rock.

Unread 10-02-2013, 10:01 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthwillriseagain
schmeichel was worth at least 20 points a season to us
best keeper ever imo
This

I dont care that he is/was a @#%&!

Wound me up when he played for the berties and celebrated but we had the absolute best out of him. Incredible keeper

Unread 10-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Dougiethebiscuit

There's just no need for such extremes really.

I can't spell Schmeichcel as you can see, I could have copied one of you but I'm not afraid of my own weaknesses.

But he was almost certainly the greatest keeper of all time, terrible terrible bastard of a person though.

Loved everything about VDS, brilliant rock steady keeper and a lovely man.

I consider DDG to be the best young keeper in the world right now and I honestly believe he'll go on to be universally acknowledged as the best outright keeper in the world within the next 3 years.

The way some reds on R.I slate him is making me ill, he's £#%&!ing ace and I wish we as a crowd would give him a bit more vocal support.

Love him I do.

Unread 10-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Tiberian

Schmeichel had that aura about him, he was in command of the box, the best in the game and any goals conceded must be down to others errors.

That was my opinion of him at the time but if you watch any of the old season reviews it is remarkable how many howlers he actually makes.

The treble season especially he made a lot of shockers but typically of the man, when it mattered he made the big saves, or the team made up for his mistakes. That goal Bayern scored in the final, basic curled shot to the keepers side, no deflection and he just watched it go in. Horrible goal.

Unread 10-02-2013, 11:32 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Schmeichel had that aura about him, he was in command of the box, the best in the game and any goals conceded must be down to others errors.

That was my opinion of him at the time but if you watch any of the old season reviews it is remarkable how many howlers he actually makes.

The treble season especially he made a lot of shockers but typically of the man, when it mattered he made the big saves, or the team made up for his mistakes. That goal Bayern scored in the final, basic curled shot to the keepers side, no deflection and he just watched it go in. Horrible goal.
Big last-minute £#%&!-up in Munich in the 2-2 draw in the group phase, wasn't there? Didn't he misread a Rivaldo free-kick in the 3-3 at Camp Nou, also? As much as we struggled to replace him, I do think he probably was right to leave when he did as those types of errors were probably becoming more common.

Still, that save from Zamorano at Old Trafford is one my favourite Schmikes moments. I think he made another great stop in a 1v1 shortly after. Inter put us under a fair bit of pressure in that second half looking for an away goal; maintaining the clean sheet was vital.

Unread 10-02-2013, 11:37 AM
believe

tbf to Schmeichel, he £#%&!ed up quite consistently throughout his career.

Unread 10-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Big last-minute £#%&!-up in Munich in the 2-2 draw in the group phase, wasn't there? Didn't he misread a Rivaldo free-kick in the 3-3 at Camp Nou, also? As much as we struggled to replace him, I do think he probably was right to leave when he did as those types of errors were probably becoming more common.

Still, that save from Zamorano at Old Trafford is one my favourite Schmikes moments. I think he made another great stop in a 1v1 shortly after. Inter put us under a fair bit of pressure in that second half looking for an away goal; maintaining the clean sheet was vital.
That Rivaldo free kick was very similar to the goal in the final, keeper flat footed, no real power on both efforts. The Commentator called it as a deflection each time. His reputation worked for him on those occasions, people just did not expect him to make those type of basic errors.

The Bayern one is the type of thing DDG is criticised for not doing. Coming for a ball through players, Schmeichel showed how horribly wrong it can go.

Around 2:45, can you imagine the stick DDG would have to endure for something like that?

Unread 10-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Tiberian

Found this while searching for that Bayern goal

Some of his mistakes in his first 2 years at Utd, seemed to love playing sweeper keeper, badly.
Closed Thread