United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-04-2007, 12:08 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I know.

(Conjures one of many mental images of Fletcher pulling out of tackles and then pointing profusely. Sighs deeply.)

[SIZE="1"]I know
Remember his finest moment? United v Arse at Old Trafford this season. 50/50 ball between Fletcher and Arse player -> ref blows whistle for earlier foul -> Arsenal player pulls completly out of tackle -> Fletcher loses ball.

Unread 04-04-2007, 12:15 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Remember his finest moment? United v Arse at Old Trafford this season. 50/50 ball between Fletcher and Arse player -> ref blows whistle for earlier foul -> Arsenal player pulls completly out of tackle -> Fletcher loses ball.
One that sticks in my mind was against Liverpool (yes, the same game everyone says he excelled in). He tried to take someone on down the right hand side, failed miserably, was disposessed and instead of busting a gut to win it back he merely pointed to Gary Neville and then the now advancing Liverpool player, as if to say:

'Well, close him down then. He's your man.'

Irresposible cowardice at it's finest.

Unread 04-04-2007, 12:33 PM
n48

Look I know I'm normally the uber pessimist re match predictions but can't we just go out and attack for the hell of it? Just have a £#%&!ing go for once lads will you?

Unread 04-04-2007, 12:34 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
Look I know I'm normally the uber pessimist re match predictions but can't we just go out and attack for the hell of it? Just have a £#%&!ing go for once lads will you?
I'm wit u.

Unread 04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
People always talk about how important it is to keep it tight away from home.

Why?

Surely it's more important to keep it tight at home?

We can afford to concede tonight as long as we create chances. Look at Bayern. They conceded 3 in Madrid, but the 2 they scored effectively made it a score draw for them. They just needed to keep it tight at home and edge them out. Again last night, 2 goals conceded, but 2 scored. Nearly as good as an away win.
Obviously we need to play with discipline and not be chasing the game, but a clean sheet away from home is not of paramount importance. Scoring is. We can't afford to not score tonight. 0-0 is a dangerous result and probably only just a decent result.
We've fallen foul of it in the past and Lyon did in the last round too.

Therefore, we should be looking to take more chances and be more adventurous here than at home.
All the more reason to 'have a go' tonight.

(I always feel a little self important when I quote myself)

Unread 04-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
apart from ole, who i think is useful with 10 mins to go, but not to start.

more important, tbph, is the way they set out - with the intention of keeping it tight, not conceding etc. or with the intention of taking roma on, scoring more even if we concede and playing the game expansively in the roma half.

for what it's worth

vds
pie - rio - brown - gabby
carrick - scholes
ronnie - rooney - giggs
saha

i notice that fletcher is in the squad, however. please, god, no but i fear...

[SIZE="1"]
vds
pie - rio - brown - gabby
fletcher - carrick - scholes - giggs - ronnie
rooney

and the dreaded 'keep it tight till half-time' team talk.

we need blackburn 2nd half, not champions league group stage.
Saves me typing anything. What he said ^

Unread 04-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Tiberian

Surely we can not throw Smith or Ole into the game tonight? Smith has not started an important game for a year and Ole should be no more than a 15 mins sub in these types of games. if Saha is fit to travel he should start, he is a crap sub anyway.

VDV

O'Shea
Rio
Brown
Heinze

Ronaldo
Scholes
Carrick
Giggs
Rooney

Saha

Rooney will be starting from the left with Giggs tucked in.

Other possibility is Rooney up top, Fletcher starting in midfield.

Unread 04-04-2007, 03:04 PM
ScarFace

Thumbs down

Why is it every team we seem to play, are utter @#%&!s.

The Rome mayor claiming the advice United gave to fans to be careful of where to go, is stupid and in it's self will be the cause of any trouble.

£#%&! off you grease ball mong, you entire league was suspender this season for violence and last year your fans stabbed 3 Boro fans...........and lets not even mention the coin throwing 2seasons ago which caused the game to be called off after the ref had to leave the pitch.

Unread 04-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toseeunited
i simply wanted to see what people thought about the team, last night! if i had not consulted the expertise of my fellow fred tissuers i might not have been able to sleep as i could not decide what saf is going to do.

feel free to delete my thread, or better still, you should have changed mine to the fishal one and added your team accordingly.

talking about the team before the official thread surely isn't that bad - however i can see you are very upset so i apologise!
No need to apologise.

Yours was a very good thread.

Unread 04-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Hopskipjump

Thumbs up

Bring it on!

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:10 PM
armchair

Fergie saying we need a goal away.

At last - we're much better than these.

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Hopskipjump

Just don't want to contemplate the poo,winning it,no way,

come on lads lets stuff these eyeties..

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Tiberian

Solskjaer starts

VDS
O'Shea
Brown
Rio
Heinze
Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Giggs
Rooney
Ole

Ole right? Ronaldo left, Giggs supporting Rooney?

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Hopskipjump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Solskjaer starts

VDS
O'Shea
Brown
Rio
Heinze
Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Giggs
Rooney
Ole

Ole right? Ronaldo left, Giggs supporting Rooney?
Has that been confirmed?

seems a bit early..

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopskipjump
Has that been confirmed?

seems a bit early..
Being reported on Sky News.

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Hopskipjump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Being reported on Sky News.
normally mutv have it first...

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopskipjump
normally mutv have it first...
And don't they love that fact

Anyway, i am a little surprised at this selection, Saha must not be fit enough, but Ole has only had 10 minutes in the last 6 weeks, and despite his goals has looked off the pace in many of the game she has played. He will not bring the same energy as Park would do, but if a chance falls to him, he is the most likely player in our squad to finish it.

Unread 04-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Tumescent Throb

I'm shocked tbh. Wouldn't think he was fit enough. Happy enough still though. He's got a good eye for a pass so will make a good wall on the break, and is always likely to nick a goal if Roma just sit back and we have loads of the ball.

Unread 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM
ScarFace

Reports on Century say Roma fans have already attacked united fans with flares etc, and police have used their batton things.

The woman who called was crying saying they chucked little bombs at them with light coming out and that shes never seen anything like them.

Flares love.

Unread 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Whalefish

Saha hasn't played for 5 weeks. He's a bit like Ruud after a lengthy lay off as well, i.e. a little too rusty to begin with.

Could be useful for the last half hour though when we're chasing the game.
Closed Thread