United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-09-2007, 05:30 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He can't say Nemanja properly, either.

Does anyone have the squad for tonight, btw?

Sorry mate, nothing on M.E.N

Have a ganders at the simpson interview though...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ny_on_his_toes

Unread 26-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Gutted it's not on sky. Was looking forward to seeing Anderson and Nani tonight and Wellbeck.

These games are perfect for Nani and Anderson, especially Anderson to get fit and get use to the English game. I really do think we will go far this season in the League Cup playing a younger side. If we did get to the final I would stick with the younger lads. Like Wenger did last season, fair play to him, it would be easy to throw in the big guns, like Fergie did in 03 for the semi final and final but I'd like him to keep the lads who got us there to play if we got there.
eh? we beat Chelsea in the quarters at OT close on full strength. Forlan, in for RvN, got the goal.

in 06 Ferguson kept faith with Saha for the final resulting in RvN taking his ball off to sunny Spain.

I agree with your basic point about seeing how far a mix of youth and experience can take us in the League Cup. Just don't understand the point of the comparison you presented

Unread 26-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Coracao

Wellbeck has been playing up front for the under 18s when i've seen them this season. He played on the wing in the youth cup run.

Unread 26-09-2007, 06:28 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Sorry mate, nothing on M.E.N

Have a ganders at the simpson interview though...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ny_on_his_toes
Cheers for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Wellbeck has been playing up front for the under 18s when i've seen them this season. He played on the wing in the youth cup run.
Do you think he's ready to play in a game like this, even off the bench?

Thought he looked class against Liverpool in the youth final, but not seen him since. Still very young, isn't he?

Unread 26-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Coracao

Quote:

Thought he looked class against Liverpool in the youth final, but not seen him since. Still very young, isn't he?
He left school this summer.

I can't see him starting tonight or being on the bench to be honest.

He does have very good ability. Strong for his age, good on the ball. I don't think he's anywhere near the first team squad at this age though. Only freaks ( Rooney and Giggs ) are ready at that age. He's still playing for the under 18s side, i'm not sure whether he has even played for the reserves this season.

If he is involved, then Fergie must believe this kid is destined for big things. When was the last time a school leaver played for United the summer/autumn he left school??

Unread 26-09-2007, 06:37 PM
MUFC One Love

Throb, in general Fergie didn't stick with the youngsters, he played with younger lads and 'squad' players in the earlier rounds didn't he? I don't just mean youngsters here, I mean squad players. In the final Forlan didn't start did he? I'm sure Fergie didn't play a full strength team all the way through in 06 either.

Unread 26-09-2007, 06:43 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He left school this summer.

I can't see him starting tonight or being on the bench to be honest.

He does have very good ability. Strong for his age, good on the ball. I don't think he's anywhere near the first team squad at this age though. Only freaks ( Rooney and Giggs ) are ready at that age. He's still playing for the under 18s side, i'm not sure whether he has even played for the reserves this season.

If he is involved, then Fergie must believe this kid is destined for big things. When was the last time a school leaver played for United the summer/autumn he left school??
Yeah, probably a bit early for him. It'll be interesting to see how Fergie approaches the Carling Cup this season now that he's under less pressure than in previous years. I know quite a few Arsenal fans who really enjoy watching the competition because Wenger really gives the young players their chance to shine. They will often throw 17-year-olds straight into the team.

Wouldn't mind seeing Fergie take a similar approach. He usually tends to use it as much for fringe players, but it'd be good to see the likes of Hewson get a game. It could be argued that, even at 18/19, if they can't play against Coventry at Old Trafford, they probably aren't up to it.

Unread 26-09-2007, 06:47 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Yeah, probably a bit early for him. It'll be interesting to see how Fergie approaches the Carling Cup this season now that he's under less pressure than in previous years. I know quite a few Arsenal fans who really enjoy watching the competition because Wenger really gives the young players their chance to shine. They will often throw 17-year-olds straight into the team.

Wouldn't mind seeing Fergie take a similar approach. He usually tends to use it as much for fringe players, but it'd be good to see the likes of Hewson get a game. It could be argued that, even at 18/19, if they can't play against Coventry at Old Trafford, they probably aren't up to it.
Very good post mate.

He argues that the fringe players need games, that's fair enough but they end up playing a fair bit in the main competitions during the season so it all pans our eventually. Throwing some kids in would make the game more attractive to supporters, especially the ones who have been highlighted as possible future stars. Playing in a competitive game at O.T in front of about 60k 10 k away fans would be superb for them and would only help them. Imagine if one scored or something? The amount of confidence they would get they would believe they could do it in the Prem. Obviously they wouldn't be playing that much in the Prem but they could play parts. There seems to be some kind of "barrier" if you like these days that the Prem etc is a huge step up, all our players we have no who have been here all their life were thrown in and flourished. There is also nothing more satisfying than a young lad performing well knowing you have that talent at your disposal at your club, it excites people.

Unread 26-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Tumescent Throb

The problem is that too many United supporters are £#%&!ers who are likely to turn on the players and management if a young side doesn't perform on the day. We have seen this attitude with both the Exeter and Burton games in recent seasons.

Unread 26-09-2007, 06:55 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
It could be argued that, even at 18/19, if they can't play against Coventry at Old Trafford, they probably aren't up to it.

Good point. Agree with that.

I think a lot of our young players lack the natural body strength & confidence of say Arsenal's cosmopolitan set of youngsters.
It's easier for Wenger to blood them though because nobody bats an eyelid if Arsenal finish 20odd points off the top of the Premiership, where as if we did there'd be a 'Fergie Out' campaign ignited in Fleet Street.

What I would say about Arsenal's young players is that they all seem to know what their role in the side is & how best to do it.
They look very well coached.
I've always thought our 'Carling Cup' teams look nervy & disorganised in recent years (bar the years we've actually gone for it with the first team of course)

It'll be interesting to see what the side is, but I'd like to see a full line up of the youngsters, just to see how they play.

Unread 26-09-2007, 07:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Good point. Agree with that.

I think a lot of our young players lack the natural body strength & confidence of say Arsenal's cosmopolitan set of youngsters.
It's easier for Wenger to blood them though because nobody bats an eyelid if Arsenal finish 20odd points off the top of the Premiership, where as if we did there'd be a 'Fergie Out' campaign ignited in Fleet Street.

What I would say about Arsenal's young players is that they all seem to know what their role in the side is & how best to do it.
They look very well coached.
I've always thought our 'Carling Cup' teams look nervy & disorganised in recent years (bar the years we've actually gone for it with the first team of course)

It'll be interesting to see what the side is, but I'd like to see a full line up of the youngsters, just to see how they play.
Well, to continue with the Arsenal example, they have got a couple of young players, for example Denilson and Traore, who are now thought of as dead certs in terms of being part of the future of the first team, despite only being 17/18 years old.

The man reason for that is they were pretty much handed automatic starting roles in last season's Carling Cup campaign. Like MUFC one Love suggests, very few managers competing for the Premiership these days can afford to be testing out youngsters in the league and it is such a big step, both in quality and expectation, that it may not be fair to the players.

So it's difficult to give these young players the platform to really show what they can do, not to mention develop their game. Wenger is often reluctant to loan players out. He feels that the responsibility of representing the club in a cup competition as a starting player offers a huge insight into how capable he is, especially as they will often play infront of good crowds and against competitive opposition.

I must say, I'd like to see us follow this pattern. In recent years the Carling Cup for United has been about giving the likes of O'Shea, Brown, Silvestre, Richardson, Smith etc a game. I wouldn't mind seeing the philosophy change to dedicating the competition almost exclusively to the youngsters. If anything, it could raise interest in the competition amongst the supporters.

Unread 26-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Rossi the Red

Anyone actually know the starting line up yet?

Unread 26-09-2007, 07:13 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
In recent years the Carling Cup for United has been about giving the likes of O'Shea, Brown, Silvestre, Richardson, Smith etc a game. I wouldn't mind seeing the philosophy change to dedicating the competition almost exclusively to the youngsters. If anything, it could raise interest in the competition amongst the supporters.

Yep, again I agree.
Good post.

Unread 26-09-2007, 07:29 PM
legendary saf

Official Confirmed Team

GK: PIG

RB: Bardsley
CB: Evans
CB: Pique
LB: Simpson

RM: Martin
CM: O'Shea
CM: Eagles
LM: Nani

CF: Anderson
CF: Dong

Subs: Heaton, Eckersley, Brown, Carrick, Campbell

Where's Rooney and Saha.

Short on match fitness yet Fergie doesn't take this opportunity to give them some.

Unread 26-09-2007, 07:31 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary saf
Official Confirmed Team

GK: PIG

RB: Bardsley
CB: Evans
CB: Pique
LB: Simpson

RM: Martin
CM: O'Shea
CM: Eagles
LM: Nani

CF: Anderson
CF: Dong

Subs: Heaton, Eckersley, Brown, Carrick, Campbell

Where's Rooney and Saha.

Short on match fitness yet Fergie doesn't take this opportunity to give them some.
Quite happy with that. I'd like to think Evans-Pique will be the partnership for the duration of our run in the competition.

Unread 26-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Whalefish

Thumbs up

King Dong to slay Coventry!

Unread 26-09-2007, 07:38 PM
MUFC One Love

I'm pleased with that. Kids being given a chance, Rooney and Saha can get games in the Prem which they will be doing. Anderson and Nani as well is a good choice to play them.

Unread 26-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Rossi the Red

that's a 4-5-1 aint it?

Unread 26-09-2007, 07:45 PM
legendary saf

Any radio links??

Unread 26-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Paul Mcgrath

5live extra. or Manutd.com i guess.
Closed Thread