United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:45 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I am tbh. They’re absolutely sick.

Their reaction has taken it up a notch tbf

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:47 AM
Hyman_Roth

It wasn’t just a good result, it was a good performance. Our approach was to nullify them and counter. We got the 1st bit right and almost the 2nd.

It’s not where we aspire to be or should be but we need to take some baby steps to reestablish ourselves. Surely people can see that?

For me, we need to build on it positively - get dicked at the weekend and I’ll be seething.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:53 AM
andyroo

It was shite but Liverpool weren't much better. The main difference is we know we're shite.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:54 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
It wasn’t just a good result, it was a good performance. Our approach was to nullify them and counter. We got the 1st bit right and almost the 2nd.

It’s not where we aspire to be or should be but we need to take some baby steps to reestablish ourselves. Surely people can see that?

For me, we need to build on it positively - get dicked at the weekend and I’ll be seething.
This. Not sure what people were expecting tbh.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:56 AM
Dr Stranger

Moments like this are where we must do better. Lovely from Mainoo (again) but just the final ball. It either goes wrong in terms of choice, timing, execution or all three. And that’s not picking on Antony. All our forwards are guilty of it.

Unread 18-12-2023, 11:59 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Positive about the clean sheet and Mainoo, thanks.

The rest was bobbins.
Do you think the clean sheet was lucky then? We defended well, for the majority of the game. There were some chaotic moments, mainly involving that tit in goal. But other than that I just thought we defended solidly and gave everything we had.

Unread 18-12-2023, 12:03 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Moments like this are where we must do better. Lovely from Mainoo (again) but just the final ball. It either goes wrong in terms of choice, timing, execution or all three. And that’s not picking on Antony. All our forwards are guilty of it.

https://x.com/sh4wberto/status/17365...aSbh7vgQsN2lEQ
We do need to get rid of this donkey at the end of the season. Trying to play that ball with the outside of your foot because you can’t use the foot that should naturally pass it. So shite.

Antony is a huge issue in terms of how little we create.

Unread 18-12-2023, 12:10 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Do you think the clean sheet was lucky then? We defended well, for the majority of the game. There were some chaotic moments, mainly involving that tit in goal. But other than that I just thought we defended solidly and gave everything we had.
I have no issues with the defensive element. I expect a bit more though with the ball, as we were woeful with it for the majority of the game.

They were actually there for the taking yesterday, as I can't remember how often they have been that shite. And it wasn't much to do with our performance for me, they were just shite.

Unread 18-12-2023, 12:55 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
We do need to get rid of this donkey at the end of the season. Trying to play that ball with the outside of your foot because you can’t use the foot that should naturally pass it. So shite.

If he was really fast he'd have a chance.

He's not really fast.

Unread 18-12-2023, 01:28 PM
armchair

I heard that the dalot sending off wasn't given much discussion on motd and it seems to be missing from most of the match reports. Kind of odd. One of the worst decisions ever and everywhere seems to be glossing over it.

Unread 18-12-2023, 01:32 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I have no issues with the defensive element. I expect a bit more though with the ball, as we were woeful with it for the majority of the game.

They were actually there for the taking yesterday, as I can't remember how often they have been that shite. And it wasn't much to do with our performance for me, they were just shite.
Well it's lucky for them that they ran into a United side on it's arse really isn't it.

Maybe if we had any players in anything resembling good form or some options on the bench we could have nicked it.

But that's the way it's always been for us at Anfield. Our greatest ever sides have gone there and had nothing short of a tough game no matter what state they're in.

Unread 18-12-2023, 01:35 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Well it's lucky for them that they ran into a United side on it's arse really isn't it.

Maybe if we had any players in anything resembling good form or some options on the bench we could have nicked it.

But that's the way it's always been for us at Anfield. Our greatest ever sides have gone there and had nothing short of a tough game no matter what state they're in.
Think you need to read the other threads mate, most of the team had a great game yesterday.

Unread 18-12-2023, 01:37 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Think you need to read the other threads mate, most of the team had a great game yesterday.
Who has said that?

Unread 18-12-2023, 01:38 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Who has said that?
Quite a lot of people. Maybe you should read them too,

Unread 18-12-2023, 02:05 PM
shenwen

Quote:

Agree. That pass was awful, absolutely awful for a 86m half winger.

Unread 18-12-2023, 02:16 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I heard that the dalot sending off wasn't given much discussion on motd and it seems to be missing from most of the match reports. Kind of odd. One of the worst decisions ever and everywhere seems to be glossing over it.
This. Feels "was in the 93rd minute so who cares"

Unread 18-12-2023, 02:33 PM
VanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Every man and his dog called a comfortable Liverpool win, but then struggles to give credit when we prevent it from happening? Nah. They know damn well that’s a good result in tough circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHaaksbergen
This will be a lot tighter in open play than people think. MacAllister is out; means they're back to a pretty bang average midfield. They've flattered to deceive despite the position. Mainoo has a big game and it's all to play for.

Biggest concern is Onana giving them a few Forlan equivalents.

No they didn't.
Because if you understand the strengths and flaws in the system and the pattern of results, you understand why a result like this happened.
Also why being a very good result, it bodes little for the future. Its not unlike the 1-0s they scabbed in the early 2000s actually (managers probably not too dissimilar, either).
No insight into inability to score (eg still 1974 track for goals scored); no insight into ability to respond when going goal down. See how it goes at West Ham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
We had about 13 players unavailable. Were you genuinely expecting us to be brilliant?
This side, so far, has been at its most vulnerable when it tries to be brilliant. That has been the problem.

Unread 18-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Dr Stranger

He’s a pompous bugger, but he’s right more often than he’s not and he’s usually smarter than the person he’s talking to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHaaksbergen

No they didn't.
Because if you understand the strengths and flaws in the system and the pattern of results, you understand why a result like this happened.
Also why being a very good result, it bodes little for the future. Its not unlike the 1-0s they scabbed in the early 2000s actually (managers probably not too dissimilar, either).
No insight into inability to score (eg still 1974 track for goals scored); no insight into ability to respond when going goal down. See how it goes at West Ham.

This side, so far, has been at its most vulnerable when it tries to be brilliant. That has been the problem.
Ok, you didn’t. Kudos for the prediction. Most did, myself included and Liverpool were rightly heavy favourites for the game; given our form, their form and our last visit there. The fact we managed to shut them out should have brought some credit. Instead it seems to have brought criticism.

Unread 18-12-2023, 07:39 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
https://x.com/talksport/status/17367...aSbh7vgQsN2lEQ

He’s a pompous bugger, but he’s right more often than he’s not and he’s usually smarter than the person he’s talking to.

Ok, you didn’t. Kudos for the prediction. Most did, myself included and Liverpool were rightly heavy favourites for the game; given our form, their form and our last visit there. The fact we managed to shut them out should have brought some credit. Instead it seems to have brought criticism.
Ignore vanhaaksbergen mate, he thought Mount was going to be an integral part of the team.

Unread 18-12-2023, 07:52 PM
armchair

We did to liverpool what almost every team that comes to old trafford do to United except we failed to convert any of our few chances.

We reduced them to being a shit Man United. Slow, ponderous passing, loads of speculative shots etc.

Also, I see a lot of press saying Garnacho was shit. Wrong! The guy head £#%&!ed trent completely.