United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:07 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Apologise if this is harsh because I haven't read the preceding conversation, let alone the thread, but I have no idea how you can emerge from the game today thinking United were defensive. Style of play is something else, but defensive? Were they £#%&!. The way we played in the first 20 minutes of the second half especially was with fantastic intent. Every time we lost the ball our defenders, pressing high, seemed to win it straight back. I thought it was a glimpse into the future in terms of shape and approach.

Disappointing today that we didn't win. I thought it was 80% a very good performance. But that lack of quality in the final third is an issue, and City for all Pellegrini's chat came for the point, which made it tougher. Overall though, for a 0-0 I though it was a game of high quality where defensive performances were particularly notable.

I'm encouraged. On the basis of today, we are not far away from being a very good side. 18 months ago this lot were taking the piss out of us. Today they were running scared, desperate for a scoreless draw. Progress

Just need the defenders to settle down a little and some more attacking threat. Maybe another more dynamic midfield option. Not convinced by Basti at all.

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:10 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Just need the defenders to settle down a little and some more attacking threat. Maybe another more dynamic midfield option. Not convinced by Basti at all.
He was immense today you crank Jesus Christ

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:11 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Apologise if this is harsh because I haven't read the preceding conversation, let alone the thread, but I have no idea how you can emerge from the game today thinking United were defensive. Style of play is something else, but defensive? Were they £#%&!. The way we played in the first 20 minutes of the second half especially was with fantastic intent. Every time we lost the ball our defenders, pressing high, seemed to win it straight back. I thought it was a glimpse into the future in terms of shape and approach.

Disappointing today that we didn't win. I thought it was 80% a very good performance. But that lack of quality in the final third is an issue, and City for all Pellegrini's chat came for the point, which made it tougher. Overall though, for a 0-0 I though it was a game of high quality where defensive performances were particularly notable.

I'm encouraged. On the basis of today, we are not far away from being a very good side. 18 months ago this lot were taking the piss out of us. Today they were running scared, desperate for a scoreless draw. Progress
Suggest you read what I said earlier (only a couple of posts post match) then because I agree with you - I thought we were good for the win today and final third the only problem. Thought both teams were excellent defensively.

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:14 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Ideally the defence would be a little better in terms of distribution. Valencia, Rojo, Smalling, Jones - none of them are proper footballers to the extent LvG would ideally like. Obviously Shaw would improve that. But I thought they were tremendous today in terms of winning the ball. So often when you feared a City counter attack, they snuffed it out early. Brilliant organisation and commitment.

But we need that sprinkling more quality. Rooney is now taking the piss and Mata in a high-tempo game can get lost. I like Herrera but it took half an hour before I realised noticed him today. Martial the main threat - and what a threat! - but we need more quality in that third, including off the bench.

But I we looked the better side. Not just on the day, but we looked more organised and more committed. Much better than a year ago.

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:14 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Think you have Schweinsteiger mixed up with Schneiderlin, who was immense.

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Zorg

Quote:

Yep. Rooney has to go. Asap.

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Suggest you read what I said earlier (only a couple of posts post match) then because I agree with you - I thought we were good for the win today and final third the only problem. Thought both teams were excellent defensively.
Genuine apologies then, pal. I usually read the match thread a bit later when I've calmed down a little

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:16 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Wtf I'd let basti impregnate me but he was bang average today at best

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
Ideally the defence would be a little better in terms of distribution. Valencia, Rojo, Smalling, Jones - none of them are proper footballers to the extent LvG would ideally like. Obviously Shaw would improve that. But I thought they were tremendous today in terms of winning the ball. So often when you feared a City counter attack, they snuffed it out early. Brilliant organisation and commitment.

But we need that sprinkling more quality. Rooney is now taking the piss and Mata in a high-tempo game can get lost. I like Herrera but it took half an hour before I realised noticed him today. Martial the main threat - and what a threat! - but we need more quality in that third, including off the bench.

But I we looked the better side. Not just on the day, but we looked more organised and more committed. Much better than a year ago.
Smalling still looks terrified when he realises the ball is about to be played to him I much prefer him and Jones as a pairing to having Blind or Rojo in there though. Thought both full backs did well today, got forward a fair bit too.

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Now more than before think if we'd been at home midweek and them in Moscow we'd have turned them over.

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Smalling still looks terrified when he realises the ball is about to be played to him I much prefer him and Jones as a pairing to having Blind or Rojo in there though. Thought both full backs did well today, got forward a fair bit too.
Jones was excellent today bar that one moment late on when he slightly misjudged a long ball, came to nothing thankfully. Smalling has shifted to the left CB role, thought he might put Jones there who is better on the ball.

All part of challenging Smalling to improve perhaps.

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:24 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Poor Mike moves up the field with the ball and utterly bottles it. It's so frustrating.

Stride forward. Find yourself in loads of space. Absolutely shit it.

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:25 PM
dunk

Quote:

Poor Mike moves up the field with the ball and utterly bottles it. It's so frustrating.

Stride forward. Find yourself in loads of space. Absolutely shit it.

Can actually see him stiffen up when someone turns to play it towards him, he freezes for a split second an absolute monster defensively though. Shame we can't blend him and Blind and get the perfect CB.

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Ethers

Interesting perspective

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...gue-again.html

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:33 PM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Wtf I'd let basti impregnate me but he was bang average today at best
was poor today, i thought. one game too many perhaps.

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:34 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
18 months ago this lot were taking the piss out of us. Today they were running scared, desperate for a scoreless draw. Progress
Indeed, compare our performances against ciddy under LvG with those of YOU KNOW WHO. No progress - really??

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:42 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
What the £#%&! is everyone crying for.

Derby game yes but was never going to be a classic given where we are at and the fact its October.

Had we actually needed to win it may have been different. A boring 0-0 whilst isnt great it isnt the end of the world. City hardly came at us and played well at the back.

2 points in it roll on palace and an 'easy' November.
Why was it never going to be a classic? Because we're not set up for exciting football or some other ill defined post hoc rationalisation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
Dont watch them then, no ones forcing you

If they dont entertain you just have your popcorn and keep quiet
Everyone who used to enjoy football of a higher quality should just stop watching it and have no opinion.

You must like or lump it.

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:45 PM
dunk

Quote:
The first half was probably the best 45 minutes I have seen anywhere in the Premier League this season, says Gary Neville
What? I know the league is shit, but come on now..

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:46 PM
dragflick

Quote:

What this man said

Unread 25-10-2015, 08:49 PM
puressence

Two good teams against each except half the forum wanted the blue team to batter the red one just to say I told you so

Quote:
Think you have Schweinsteiger mixed up with Schneiderlin, who was immense.
He two was immense but half the forum wrote him off 3 weeks ago