United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Horst_ Bucholst

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Liverpool v United thread. (Teams, links + doom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bigbollox
We probably would have won then as it was our cup final whilst they went on to win the league yet again
made me laugh that

beating the scousers then was a sucessfull season now its the other way round

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:13 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst_ Bucholst
made me laugh that

beating the scousers then was a sucessfull season now its the other way round
£#%&!ing true - as the other oldsters will testify, doesn't make some of the shit performance against Vermin and the divs over recent years any the more palatable, but given the choice, i would take the trophies

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:22 PM
History

I think we can safely say, thats the death of the 442 in big games for us now.

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Whalefish

Thumbs up Re: OFFICIAL: Liverpool v United thread. (Teams, links + doom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
I think we can safely say, thats the death of the 442 in big games for us now.

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:24 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bigbollox
We probably would have won then as it was our cup final whilst they went on to win the league yet again
thats very true billy....

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Barracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I'm not sure we have the midfield to play a 2 man midfield against top opposition. And we don't have the forward to play a 4-3-3 (Or IMO the central attacking midfielder who is going to get forward and get goals).
I've been thinking that for a long time, we've got so many midfielders yet I can't come up with any combination that I'd feel confident with against a Barca, Chelsea etc.

With the midfielders we have we're more suited to 4-3-3. Plus, Giggs aside which of our other wide players are really up to the job?

But like you say, if we play that then we're £#%&!ed because we haven't got forwards who can fit the system. Lot of players, good players - but maybe not the right players?

The team has clocked up a decent amount of points this far, but the performances have been patchy to say the least - what happened today was not a total surprise, we've been making hard work of things for a while now.

Fortunately most of the teams we come up against are a pile of shit, but I'm not at all confident in the games against the stronger opposition. We need a better and more settled, cohesive best eleven.

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
I've been thinking that for a long time, we've got so many midfielders yet I can't come up with any combination that I'd feel confident with against a Barca, Chelsea etc.

With the midfielders we have we're more suited to 4-3-3. Plus, Giggs aside which of our other wide players are really up to the job?

But like you say, if we play that then we're £#%&!ed because we haven't got forwards who can fit the system. Lot of players, good players - but maybe not the right players?
It'll be interesting to see how Fergie uses Obertan and Ljajic (when he arrives).

They both offer different options and may fit into certain systems better than some of the current options. Obertan has played on the right so far of a 4-3-3 formation, but I also believe he is capable of playing on the left and perhaps as a central striker.

Ljajic is an interesting one, as personally from what i've seen of him, if we play 4-3-3 long-term, I think he could be the player who is the attacking central midfielder, as he is a good play maker, he uses the ball very well and he is capable of scoring goals. That's long-term though, as he'd need to improve physically to play there imo. He's currently playing on the left for Partizan and i'd imagine his early United career will be out wide. I imagine his first 6 months will probably be in the reserves anyway, as he settles into the club.

We also have this Diouf character, although i've not seen anything of him.

There is also Eikrem who has excelled in a 4-3-3 this season.

We have some fantastic players coming through at the moment, I think Fergie is reluctant to spend because of it.

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how Fergie uses Obertan and Ljajic (when he arrives).

They both offer different options and may fit into certain systems better than some of the current options. Obertan has played on the right so far of a 4-3-3 formation, but I also believe he is capable of playing on the left and perhaps as a central striker.

Ljajic is an interesting one, as personally from what i've seen of him, if we play 4-3-3 long-term, I think he could be the player who is the attacking central midfielder, as he is a good play maker, he uses the ball very well and he is capable of scoring goals. That's long-term though, as he'd need to improve physically to play there imo. He's currently playing on the left for Partizan and i'd imagine his early United career will be out wide. I imagine his first 6 months will probably be in the reserves anyway, as he settles into the club.

We also have this Diouf character, although i've not seen anything of him.

There is also Eikrem who has excelled in a 4-3-3 this season.

We have some fantastic players coming through at the moment, I think Fergie is reluctant to spend because of it.
Good summary that. I'm pissed off about the result today but medium term I think the future's quite bright. May well see a striker breaking through as well (King). Will see how Petrucci does too now he's back from that long lay off.

Would like to see one or two put on the bench for a bit as well. Hopefully we'll see Rafael back soon and I'd like to see Evans given a run in the side.

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:47 PM
gsy red gaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Monsoon
In one page of a thread i've seen O'Shea, Berbatov, Valencia, Owen and Giggs all slated.

It was a shit performance, but we've still only lost twice. the same as Chelsea. 2 less than Liverpool. Its not that bad. Just an off day. Liverpool were far more up for it, needed a win, at Anfield, 4 losses on the trot with their bosses job at stake. I pretty much knew we'd lose this, and im not arsed. Mainly because Fernando torres is immense, and is the only good thing they have going, but that wont win them the league.
gorilla do u like wrestling

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Whalefish

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Good summary that. I'm pissed off about the result today but medium term I think the future's quite bright. May well see a striker breaking through as well (King). Will see how Petrucci does too now he's back from that long lay off.

Would like to see one or two put on the bench for a bit as well. Hopefully we'll see Rafael back soon and I'd like to see Evans given a run in the side.
I keep forgetting about Petrucci. Another one who could perform an attacking role in a 3 in midfield.

Hopefully, the injury hasn't hampered him too much.

But...we're talking medium to long-term here...that's too long to wait for some

I'll enjoy watching these kids over the next 2/3 years, even if none of them make it at United.

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Gog Coch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsy red gaz
gorilla do u like wrestling
Custard wrestler.

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Gog Coch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
can somebody please tell john o'shea that chipping the ball down the line is not always a good option
He must have watched Jimmy Nichol.

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Sandman

Quote:
I keep forgetting about Petrucci. Another one who could perform an attacking role in a 3 in midfield.

I'll enjoy watching these kids over the next 2/3 years, even if none of them make it at United.
Petrucci isn't a one dimensional player, he's can get stuck in as well. He can play in a two man midfield just like Scholes could.

Unread 25-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
bloody hell what a shit day ended up with an eventful sprint down everton valley
saw your mate post about that on RI what happened?
did he get in alright?

you see that big fella inside, his face looked pretty messed up!

Unread 25-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Whalefish

Quote:

I hate the term transitional but have felt since Ronnie went that this is what we'd be in for the next few years, whilst Utd find their feet without him. I've actually enjoyed most of our games this season, showed some good promise and a few teams have made a game of it. Today was a kick in the balls but we just need to pick ourselves up and crack on again now. We've got a decent squad, we're not shit but sometimes we put in a shit performance. It's happened before and it'll certainly happen again.

I'm already looking forward to Tuesday, should be a good opportunity for some.

I've given up harping on about patience with players. especially the young lads. Although I'd like to see Fergie stick to his pre-season word and start involving them more.

Unread 25-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Zorg

Lyon got thumped 4-1 yesterday at Nice .

Unread 25-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Lyon got thumped 4-1 yesterday at Nice .
Fergie out!

Unread 25-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
saw your mate post about that on RI what happened?
did he get in alright?

you see that big fella inside, his face looked pretty messed up!
he got in on his snide

didnt seen the big fella but people told me he was jumped in stanley park

just some guy stood in a group sussed we were mancs and shouted 'are you munichs' ran up to us and started throwing fists so we just thought them off and ran up the road and managed to in a taxi

Unread 25-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
Petrucci isn't a one dimensional player, he's can get stuck in as well. He can play in a two man midfield just like Scholes could.
Scholes also had one of the most exceptional midfielders of his generation next to him though.

I think the game is changing to the degree where unless you have two exceptional players you will struggle more often than not against top opposition if you play 2 in the middle, as the majority are adopting the 3 in the middle.

Obviously, playing against the majority of the premier league is another thing entirely.