United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-06-2023, 11:50 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
City fans aren’t going to care about oil money driving their success, why would they?

Oil money is football now, they are competing against other major oil clubs and possibly Real Madrid.

All other clubs are inconsequential also-rans, and that includes us at the moment.
They crave attention and recognition. They want to be us.

They will be the rich bloke standing t the bar alone because everyone knows he’s a @#%&! and swerves him out of indifference. Like has been said above it’s that what kills them

Unread 05-06-2023, 12:25 AM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
They crave attention and recognition. They want to be us.

They will be the rich bloke standing t the bar alone because everyone knows he’s a @#%&! and swerves him out of indifference. Like has been said above it’s that what kills them
I’m pretty sure they definitely don’t want to be us.

They will do if the Qataris take over, if it’s Jim Glazer I doubt they’ll give a toss about us.

Unread 05-06-2023, 04:37 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
No you won't, you'll be happy as Larry as your overlords have won. £#%&! off you sycophantic, Stockholm @#%&!.
What r’kid?

Unread 05-06-2023, 07:17 AM
no fun

(*)

Unread 05-06-2023, 01:51 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Russian hats
It’s shit but Manchester City ended as a club in 2008, their owners could have bought literally any club in the country and this would have been the result, due to their admittedly excellent recruitment and industrial scale cheating.

The sky would have fallen in last year if Liverpool had won the treble or quad because they are real. It’s shite for all the Manchester reds l know but anywhere outside the M60 City are a meaningless joke and always will be.
Bang on. How many reds have said that they didn't actually feel too shit after the final on Saturday? I guarantee the feeling would be different if City's rise was natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Portsmouth effectively did that and fell through the leagues and almost went bust. Leeds the same. The owners made a right £#%&! of the clubs then ditched leaving the fans to face the heartbreak. That’s why FFP was brought in...

Top postage. But one thing people always seem to forget when talking about FFP is the football pyramid. English football is bigger than the Premier League, but whenever we talk financial rules everybody just wants to concentrate on how it will affect <1% of clubs at the top of the pyramid. Even with FFP in place the gap between the clubs at the top and the clubs down the pyramid is getting bigger and bigger every year.

FFP rules need to be tightened. Keep FFP as it is and it will slowly continue to get worse. Get rid of FFP and it will make everything much worse much more quickly.

Unread 05-06-2023, 02:28 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Bang on. How many reds have said that they didn't actually feel too shit after the final on Saturday? I guarantee the feeling would be different if City's rise was natural.

Top postage. But one thing people always seem to forget when talking about FFP is the football pyramid. English football is bigger than the Premier League, but whenever we talk financial rules everybody just wants to concentrate on how it will affect <1% of clubs at the top of the pyramid. Even with FFP in place the gap between the clubs at the top and the clubs down the pyramid is getting bigger and bigger every year.

FFP rules need to be tightened. Keep FFP as it is and it will slowly continue to get worse. Get rid of FFP and it will make everything much worse much more quickly.
I bet you can’t name >1% of the clubs at the bottom that it’s affected

Unread 05-06-2023, 02:37 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I bet you can’t name >1% of the clubs at the bottom that it’s affected
Weird response. So if I can't name any clubs would that make me any less right? Want to address the point, or do you just want to ask me random questions for me to answer?

Not that it matters because it effects practically all clubs in the football pyramid. I could name any club in the football pyramid and they will be affected by what happens at the top of the game, more so if FFP was removed. That was the point of my £#%&!ing post if you bothered to try and read it properly

If you want to tell me how I'm wrong, then crack the £#%&! on.

Unread 05-06-2023, 02:59 PM
believe

Quote:
Weird response. So if I can't name any clubs would that make me any less right? Want to address the point, or do you just want to ask me random questions for me to answer?

Not that it matters because it effects practically all clubs in the football pyramid. I could name any club in the football pyramid and they will be affected by what happens at the top of the game, more so if FFP was removed. That was the point of my £#%&!ing post if you bothered to try and read it properly

If you want to tell me how I'm wrong, then crack the £#%&! on.
Just name ten clubs that have been affected, it’s pretty simple. That’s less than the 1% I initially said (I know you struggle with basic maths)

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:08 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Just name ten clubs that have been affected, it’s pretty simple. That’s less than the 1% I initially said (I know you struggle with basic maths)
Affected by what? FFP? I'm legitimately not sure what your asking for specifically.

Are you trying to say that spending at the top of the game doesn't effect clubs down the football pyramid? Or that getting rid of FFP will have no consequence to clubs outside of the Premier League?

If you just come right out say and what your point is, rather than asking me increasingly vague and nonsensical questions, then we might just start getting somewhere.

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:13 PM
believe

Quote:
Affected by what? FFP? I'm legitimately not sure what your asking for specifically.

Are you trying to say that spending at the top of the game doesn't effect clubs down the football pyramid? Or that getting rid of FFP will have no consequence to clubs outside of the Premier League?

If you just come right out say and what your point is, rather than asking me increasingly vague and nonsensical questions, then we might just start getting somewhere.
FFP came in about what, ten years ago? Did spending not affect the pyramid before then? Or was it just a case that no one really cared?

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:16 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
FFP came in about what, ten years ago? Did spending not affect the pyramid before then? Or was it just a case that no one really cared?
You can't be this stupid surely

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:20 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
You can't be this stupid surely
Obviously I must be, I just must be missing everything. A bit like missing how football isn’t competitive now city are winning everything but that really didn’t matter when we were winning the league by 12 points, or sauntering through cup finals in second gear.

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:25 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Obviously I must be, I just must be missing everything. A bit like missing how football isn’t competitive now city are winning everything but that really didn’t matter when we were winning the league by 12 points, or sauntering through cup finals in second gear.
Are you able to distinguish that there is a difference in how we were able to achieve that by following the same rules as everyone else whereas city did many things that weren't possible or legal for the other 91 football league clubs?

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:30 PM
believe

Quote:
Are you able to distinguish that there is a difference in how we were able to achieve that by following the same rules as everyone else whereas city did many things that weren't possible or legal for the other 91 football league clubs?
No. When they get charged I will though.

I tell you what I’m going to do, just for you and the group that can’t seem to abide anything I say. I’m not going to post again until City get charged and you can all tell me how wrong I was. Hopefully some of you can rest easy at night.

Enjoy the summer

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:32 PM
andyroo

Quote:

I tell you what I’m going to do, just for you and the group that can’t seem to abide anything I say. I’m not going to post again until City get charged and you can all tell me how wrong I was. Hopefully some of you can rest easy at night.

Enjoy the summer
They've been charged mate. 115 of them.

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:33 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

Enjoy the summer
Do you mean convicted? Do you think they are innocent of the 115 charges?

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:36 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:36 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo

He’s had an absolute mare here tbf

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
Do you mean convicted? Do you think they are innocent of the 115 charges?
Haven’t they been convicted, been heavily fined and are sat on a 2 year suspended sentence, suspended only because their highly paid team of lawyers came up with bullshit time barring blocks?

Even if they’re not doing anything against the rules right now (they will be) the fact they’ve cheated to get themselves into this unassailable position is a piss take.

Unread 05-06-2023, 03:39 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
The whole reason FFP was brought in was to protect clubs from themselves, and to stop them from going out of existence. Otherwise there'd have been no need for it, would there?

In terms of spending, top flight football is a completely different animal than it was back then, mainly thanks to your mates with their bottomless pockets and sportswashing ways. The gap between the top and bottom has been growing since the start of the Premier League, but it's been getting worse year upon year, especially over the past decade. Even with FFP in place. Getting rid of FFP entirely will make it worse, not better.

If you don't care then fine, just come right out and say that. If you don't believe that the astronomical amounts of money being spent at the top of the pyramid doesn't have any effect on the rest of the pyramid, then come right out and say that. Otherwise I have no idea what your point is.

Feel free to check the average spends of teams at the top of each level of the pyramid over the past 10 years. If you cannot see the ever increasing disparity between top and the rest, and how that is not good or sustainable going forward, then I can't help you.

And if you want a specific example, fine. Chorley bottled promotion on the final day of the season. No-one was that arsed. We were looking forward to having some playoff games for the craic and celebrating promotion if it happened, but noone actually gave a shit about what would happen if they were promoted. Because even if Chorley got promoted they'd come straight back down. We'd be going into a league of full time pro teams, and as a semi-pro team you have pretty much no chance. Even if they didn't go straight back down, they will eventually as without a multi-millionaire coming in and coughing up the money, they're not able to sustain a fully pro team, even with promotion and being in the national League. And because they're a semi pro team, they can't be promoted again into the football league. That's despite getting a healthy average gate of over a 1000+ at £15.00 a ticket at their current level. The club is forever doomed to be a level or two away from league football as a semi pro club, save for someone just giving the club a few million quid so they can take the risk of becoming a full time club. The same goes for pretty much every club that isn't a full time pro club now.

If teams are at a point where they are reliant on some random million/billionaire coming into the fold and giving amounts ofomey that no-one is willing to give for clubs in such a precarious position, just so they can survive and climb up the footballing ladder, then it doesn't sound like the pyramid is in great shape at the current time, does it. And how bad would it get if the handbrake of FFP is taken off?
Closed Thread