United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 22-06-2023, 03:10 PM
Dr Stranger

I don’t think a single person on here wanted him before we were linked, but the idea is growing on me.

If we can get past him being ridiculously overpriced (are any players not when it comes to us?), then it is a signing that makes sense for what we need.

We’ve bemoaned the lack of goals in the team. He’s got goals in him. If we play Eriksen, we lose energy. If we play Fred, we lose quality. Mount has both. He’s a good presser and he’s good on the ball.

As underwhelming as he seems, he improves us.

Managers like him. Tuchel liked him. He’s had a tough season, but he was pivotal to them before that.

He’s a good age he’s clearly keen to come here. I want us signing players who are 24-27 with a good blend of experience and a little something to prove.

Above all, ETH clearly likes him. He’s made him his priority. He’s liked him since his Ajax days and I want him to get his primary targets. I trust him.

I’m hopeful he’ll surprise a few.

Unread 22-06-2023, 03:17 PM
NedKelly

Never going to accept this guy (Mount, not dr stranger). Will be my new Maguire. I might as well start the Campaign now.

Unread 22-06-2023, 03:18 PM
Parlabane

Tend to agree with the good Dr- not a "sexy" signing but then again how many of those have worked for us in the past.

The price seems excessive but if he's who ETH wants and he fits the system better than the players we have at the moment then go out and get him

Unread 22-06-2023, 03:20 PM
Ethers

Interesting thread, assuming he’s right

Unread 22-06-2023, 03:22 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
60m he must be some moneyball signing. His stats must be off the scale
i've never rated him and i'll be straight up honest

but if the manager wants him we have to support his decision i suppose.

60m for a guy in the last year of his contract to me is just mental.

Unread 22-06-2023, 03:26 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlabane
Tend to agree with the good Dr- not a "sexy" signing but then again how many of those have worked for us in the past.

The price seems excessive but if he's who ETH wants and he fits the system better than the players we have at the moment then go out and get him
Could be a Carrick. A superficially unimpressive midfield signing but gels the team to make it much better.

Erik must think he can mould him into an all-action number 8.

Unread 22-06-2023, 03:26 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
60m he must be some moneyball signing. His stats must be off the scale
His best season was 2 years ago & he was rated the best at many things in the whole league:

Last season can likely be written off with Chelsea being such a complete shit show in every regard. He's even managed to do this while being managed by Lampard. Twice.

Unread 22-06-2023, 03:36 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
His best season was 2 years ago & he was rated the best at many things in the whole league:

Last season can likely be written off with Chelsea being such a complete shit show in every regard. He's even managed to do this while being managed by Lampard. Twice.
I think you'll find that's compared to his Chelsea teammates
Certainly isn't rank 1 for goals in the PL that season

He was an excellent player for Chelsea those two seasons under Tuchel
He should thrive again under another detail orientated coach

Unread 22-06-2023, 03:41 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
I think you'll find that's compared to his Chelsea teammates
Certainly isn't rank 1 for goals in the PL that season

He was an excellent player for Chelsea those two seasons under Tuchel
He should thrive again under another detail orientated coach
£#%&! sake

Unread 22-06-2023, 03:43 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Could be a Carrick. A superficially unimpressive midfield signing but gels the team to make it much better.
like any shit manager could be fergie, given time?

not having this. carrick was a player you had to watch to appreciate. mount is just underwhelming.

this signing can only be judged in the context of other signings (including those we miss out on by being cheap). if he is worth £60mio, don't tell me kane isn't worth £100+, because he would actually be transformational, as opposed to merely someone who can run longer than eriksen.

I thought the stats comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Unread 22-06-2023, 03:46 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
i've never rated him and i'll be straight up honest

but if the manager wants him we have to support his decision i suppose.

60m for a guy in the last year of his contract to me is just mental.
The last year of a contract for a PL player isn't going to lower the price as much as it did in the past when we got RVP for 25 mill (although that was seen as a lot for a player in the last year of his deal at the time)

Club's like Chelsea and Spurs can play hard ball with valuation as they don't have to sell the player and in the worst case scenario can just let the player run down his contract and leave on a free
PL clubs have so much money they don't have to sell a player with one year left on his deal like clubs on the continent would have to

Also a year from now you'd have much greater competition for the players signature with him being a free agent and those signings are never free anyway as the player expects a larger wage and signing on fee (and agent's commission) if there is no transfer fee involved

I never rated Mount for his England performances but I always thought he was a very good player under Tuchel
He's certainly a clear upgrade on Eriksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
£#%&! sake
TBF none of us ever read the small print

Unread 22-06-2023, 04:06 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
carrick was a player you had to watch to appreciate.
As opposed to? Listening to him? Smelling him?

Unread 22-06-2023, 04:15 PM
Rorschach

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
As opposed to waiting for his name to appear in the headlines of a match report or for him to be lauded by pundits on telly. Only guy who championed Carrick was, bizarrely, Adrian Durham.

Unread 22-06-2023, 04:15 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
like any shit manager could be fergie, given time?

not having this. carrick was a player you had to watch to appreciate. mount is just underwhelming.

this signing can only be judged in the context of other signings (including those we miss out on by being cheap). if he is worth £60mio, don't tell me kane isn't worth £100+, because he would actually be transformational, as opposed to merely someone who can run longer than eriksen.

I thought the stats comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Unread 22-06-2023, 04:22 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
the most fragrant of midfielders. subtle hints of jasmine. woody high notes.

Unread 22-06-2023, 04:29 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the most fragrant of midfielders. subtle hints of jasmine. woody high notes.

Unread 22-06-2023, 05:39 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
The last year of a contract for a PL player isn't going to lower the price as much as it did in the past when we got RVP for 25 mill (although that was seen as a lot for a player in the last year of his deal at the time)
Arsenal sold Oxlade Chamberlain for c. £40 million in the final year of his contract -- and that was years ago as well as for a much inferior player to Mount.

Whisper it quietly, but Mount will transition to a front-foot footballing team more successfully than Rice does, who comes in at double the price.

All will be shown in time.

Unread 22-06-2023, 07:11 PM
pedr0

mount is not a central midfielder

Unread 22-06-2023, 07:17 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0

We’re not signing him to play there
He’ll play as an 8

Bruno will be the advanced midfielder in the right hand channel and Mount will be the advanced midfielder in the left hand channel
Casemiro will be the only actual central midfielder in a 433

Unread 22-06-2023, 07:26 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
We’re not signing him to play there
He’ll play as an 8

Bruno will be the advanced midfielder in the right hand channel and Mount will be the advanced midfielder in the left hand channel
Casemiro will be the only actual central midfielder in a 433
This. A #6 and two #8s