United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzle
their purpose is to inform the reading public with facts, albeit presented from whatever angle supports their paper's agenda
arf. their purpose is to sell their readership as an audience to advertisers. the rest is all means to that end - though worthy individuals can do good informative work within the organisations.

like any listed corporation, news media exist to - and are legally obliged to - make a profit for their shareholders. the only exceptions are publicly-owned media (the bbc, for example) or privately-owned media (i.e. one owner/family-owned), which may have other goals (not necessarily positive ones).

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Sparky***

excellent. maybe one day we'll have a dream scenario of no United players being selected to play for England.

Then we can let star performers like Stevie Me, Fat Frank, Super Iron Man J.T and Emile Heskey win every game 20-0 without useless donkeys like Rooney holding them back.

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Then we can let star performers like Stevie Me, Fat Frank, Super Iron Man J.T and Emile Heskey win every game 20-0 without useless donkeys like Rooney holding them back.
you usually include joe cole in lists like why did, why did you leave him out?
would the irony be too much?

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
you usually include joe cole in lists like why did, why did you leave him out?
would the irony be too much?
No, because I think Joe Cole is a very good player.

Powder puffs like Theo 'sideburns' Walcott should be in there as well.

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
you cant blame the press for slagging him off at all.

its not like capello didnt also single him out for criticism.

I don't mind Capello analysing/criticising Rooney's performance, but the press do it with an agenda.
They also do it with complete & utter ignorance as well - ie; claiming Rooney was subbed for Heskey at HT??

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Sparky***

I'd laugh my #@&%! off if Rooney came out tomorrow and said "I'm withdrawing my services from the england team because I'm obviously not good enough to play for such a side. Maybe when The News Of The World deems me worthy, then I can pull on an England shirt again."

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:42 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
I'd laugh my #@&%! off if Rooney came out tomorrow and said "I'm withdrawing my services from the england team because I'm obviously not good enough to play for such a side. Maybe when The News Of The World deems me worthy, then I can pull on an England shirt again."
Me too.

I'd love all United players to £#%&! England off.Preferrably before the witch-hunt starts in earnest.

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
J_RED

6/10 means he had a good game doesn't it

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:50 AM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
'im not playing for england anymore because you guys slag me off too much and its not fair, yes i havent score since october last year and was a key figure in the team that didnt qualify for the euros but i cant take this unfair criticism'

wayne rooney.

thats a good lad. a real winner.

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:54 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
'im not playing for england anymore because you guys slag me off too much and its not fair, yes i havent score since october last year and was a key figure in the team that didnt qualify for the euros but i cant take this unfair criticism'

wayne rooney.

thats a good lad. a real winner.
Marlo, I'm not getting into 'it', but have you not noticed the lack of support for/adverse bias towards United players in general by England, it's media and fans?

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Marlo, I'm not getting into 'it', but have you not noticed the lack of support for/adverse bias towards United players in general by England, it's media and fans?
I can understand people sometimes criticising rooney when he plays for United. We are the best team in Europe and therefore any below par performers tend to stand out.

But I cannot tolerate wayne rooney being singled out for criticism when he plays for £#%&!ing england. When you consider how shit the likes of fat frank and stevie me have been for england and how much more experienced they are than wayne.

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:59 AM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
not at all tbh.

rio doesnt get much stick as he does his job, hargreaves was purchased onthe back of the praise he got for playing 'ok' for england and if im honest isnt visibly better than he was in euro 2004.

Unread 07-09-2008, 11:00 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
I can understand people sometimes criticising rooney when he plays for United. We are the best team in Europe and therefore any below par performers tend to stand out.

But I cannot tolerate wayne rooney being singled out for criticism when he plays for £#%&!ing england. When you consider how shit the likes of fat frank and stevie me have been for england and how much more experienced they are than wayne.
Spot on.

The term ABU was made for England and it's followers.

Unread 07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
marlo stansfield

Quote:

rooney is the golden boy. the one who burst on the scene in 2004 and had a 'blinder' against france and so on until getting injured.

for club and country he isnt improved as much as he should and is rightfully slagged off or catching abit of stick.

look how far his peers have gone for their countries.

ronaldo went from being the sub in 2004 to portugals best player.
messi is argentinas main man.
torres helped spain actually win a trophy.
rooney is putting in 'ok' performances when he should be carrying the team and be the main man.

sometimes people need to actually look at rooney and stop pretending he is playing well or be where he should be at 23.

Unread 07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
rooney is the golden boy. the one who burst on the scene in 2004 and had a 'blinder' against france and so on until getting injured.

for club and country he isnt improved as much as he should and is rightfully slagged off or catching abit of stick.

look how far his peers have gone for their countries.

ronaldo went from being the sub in 2004 to portugals best player.
messi is argentinas main man.
torres helped spain actually win a trophy.
rooney is putting in 'ok' performances when he should be carrying the team and be the main man.

sometimes people need to actually look at rooney and stop pretending he is playing well or be where he should be at 23.

Rooney is also surrounded by overrated, technically inferior players to himself when he plays for England.I rate Joe Cole.Quality player, and that's why he was on the end of Rooneys pass last night.

Gerrard is hailed as Englands best player.Case closed for me.He's as one dimensional as they come.

Unread 07-09-2008, 11:11 AM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Rooney is also surrounded by overrated, technically inferior players to himself when he plays for England.I rate Joe Cole.Quality player, and that's why he was on the end of Rooneys pass last night.

Gerrard is hailed as Englands best player.Case closed for me.He's as one dimensional as they come.
you could say the same about his united career tbh.

at best our 3rd or maybe 4th most important player.

is he surrounded by inferior players there as well?

Unread 07-09-2008, 11:12 AM
razzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
arf. their purpose is to sell their readership as an audience to advertisers. the rest is all means to that end - though worthy individuals can do good informative work within the organisations.

like any listed corporation, news media exist to - and are legally obliged to - make a profit for their shareholders. the only exceptions are publicly-owned media (the bbc, for example) or privately-owned media (i.e. one owner/family-owned), which may have other goals (not necessarily positive ones).
That is the purpose of the newspaper granted, the purpose of the reporter is to report.

no matter how cynical about it you choose to be, it is disgraceful that a person whose job it is to relay an event to a reading public could get the facts so wrong - it's a game of football, it's not like they were trying to unravel the nuances of a complex political situation to put into layman's terms or some such.

Unread 07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
you could say the same about his united career tbh.

at best our 3rd or maybe 4th most important player.

is he surrounded by inferior players there as well?
That's your opinion.

I'm not prepared to get into a bicker about what happens when Rooney isn't in the United team.I think we all know where you stand on Rooney.

Unread 07-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Tumescent Throb

Andorra vs England was never ever likely to be a match worthy of live television coverage

The inevitable dissection of the performance is utterly pointless and by all accounts very silly

England took the 3pts that were on offer

As for Wayne Rooney, he is a key figure in United's squad. Can't see the point in this morning's marlo slagging him off. can see even less point in taking any notice of the dumb £#%&!

Unread 07-09-2008, 11:22 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzle
That is the purpose of the newspaper granted, the purpose of the reporter is to report.

no matter how cynical about it you choose to be, it is disgraceful that a person whose job it is to relay an event to a reading public could get the facts so wrong - it's a game of football, it's not like they were trying to unravel the nuances of a complex political situation to put into layman's terms or some such.
oh, i agree. but the journo is emloyed to write sensationalist crap, not to report. that's why a basic error of fact doesn't really matter. so long as the main goal (slagging off whoever is the target of the minute) is achieved.

anyway, there is a simple way to avoid all of this shite. don't buy the paper/visit the website. do either of those things and you're giving them money directly (buying) or indirectly (being registered as a visitor thereby upping their figures for website advertising). notw, the sun and all the rest of them are disgusting, hate-filled poisons imo and i'd sooner cut my leg off than help them in any way.

really, i can't understand the point of reading the shite they come out with, helping them out financially, and then moaning about it. you know what's going to be there so why bother?
Closed Thread