United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-06-2008, 04:58 AM
Serenity Now

Cafu is a legend, of course. In terms of a RB for the past 20 years, when you consider his level of physical and technical ability, his remarkable consistency, and his phenomenal record of achievements, I think you'd have to say he's the best without question.

As an all-time great ahead of his Brazilian compatriots Djalma Santos or Carlos Alberto Torres? I don't know. Although you're certainly right, I should have given him a mention too

Unread 05-06-2008, 05:07 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Cafu is a legend, of course. In terms of a RB for the past 20 years, when you consider his level of physical and technical ability, his remarkable consistency, and his phenomenal record of achievements, I think you'd have to say he's the best without question.

As an all-time great ahead of his Brazilian compatriots Djalma Santos or Carlos Alberto Torres? I don't know. Although you're certainly right, I should have given him a mention too
I wasn't suggesting you missed him out, I was just wondering if you rated him in the same company as Maldini et al. He really has been a pleasure to watch.

By the way, I know you may not be having the best night, but are you watching this performance by la Seleccion?

Unread 05-06-2008, 05:10 AM
keano's love

watching zidane was like watching fairies float over the fitch. Zidane was a different class. But I think Zidane should have done better when he was at Juventus.

Also in my opinion, even zidane doesn't come close to the phenomenon that was ronaldo. Those years at PSV and Barcelona, he was £#%&!ing class.

Unread 05-06-2008, 05:14 AM
Serenity Now

Well, personally, I don't rate him quite as highly as Maldini. But that's certainly no slight on Cafu, simply a reflection of how brilliant Maldini has been. Oh and you've got to love a fullback who can do a triple sombrero in the middle of one of the most heated derbies in world football.

Unread 05-06-2008, 05:21 AM
Grimson

Love that video. Against Nedved, no less. Whoever that was who fouled him, he should be shot, because Cafu had done him as well, and that would have been an even more incredible display of skill.

Unread 05-06-2008, 05:25 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
Also in my opinion, even zidane doesn't come close to the phenomenon that was ronaldo. Those years at PSV and Barcelona, he was £#%&!ing class.
If we're simply talking about talent, then yes, I think Ronaldo was the most gifted player to emerge over the past 20 years - truly a phenomenon, as you say. Unfortunately his injuries precluded him from achieving anything like what he was capable of, so I'm not sure you can say he was the best overall.

Unread 05-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Serenity Now

Just to give you an idea of the difference in goalscoring capacity between the two players, here are their respective career stats:

Platini:

253 appearances in Ligue 1
139 goals (0.55 GPM)

147 appearances in Serie A
68 goals (0.46 GPM)

30 appearances in the European Cup
17 goals (0.57 GPM)

14 appearances in the UEFA Cup
09 goals (0.64 GPM)

41 appearances in competitive matches for France
27 goals (0.66 GPM)

Zidane:

201 appearances in Ligue 1
34 goals (0.17 GPM)

151 appearances in Serie A
23 goals (0.15 GPM)

155 appearances in La Liga
37 goals (0.24 GPM)

78 appearances in the Champions League
14 goals (0.18 GPM)

22 appearances in the UEFA Cup
04 goals (0.18 GPM)

49 appearances in competetive matches for France
17 goals (0.35 GPM)

In terms of goal creation, assists are something that have only started to be tracked quite recently, but they are something that can be calculated retroactively from television footage. This was done quite recently by French TV, and they concluded that Platini created 20 goals in 72 total appearances for France (0.28 APM). While Zidane managed 28 assists in 108 total caps (0.26 APM). This despite fact that Zidane played with goalscorers of the calibre of Trezeguet and Henry, while Platini had to deal with a distinct lack of top class French strikers (Bellone, Stopyra?).

So I think it's pretty much undeniable that Platini was the more effective of the two in terms of creating and scoring goals, and by some margin as well.

Unread 05-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
watching zidane was like watching fairies float over the fitch.
Also in my opinion, even zidane doesn't come close to the phenomenon that was ronaldo.
Two equally hilarious statements.

Unread 05-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Gazw649

Fletcher is better than the pair of 'em

Unread 05-06-2008, 09:48 AM
n48

That picture at the end of that first youtube clip with him lying the pitch would make a great framed picture. Long shot but any ideas where i could get this?

Unread 05-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Fountz

Default Platini (IMO) was overated. I'll retract the word.. "hugely".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArmy20
even though its your opinion, its absolute £#%&!ing shite of an opinion.

u must be 10 or something.
Oh the irony !

Not disputing the fact that Platini was a fantastic player ( with grace skill and as TT pointed out, wonderful balance ), but in the context of this debate and most peoples selective memories of the France side of the 80's, I do think he is overated.

Let's not forget that the side had some other superb players aswell Tresor, Genghini, Rochteau, Tigana, Six and the absolutely sublime but criminally underated Giresse.

However Zidane had it all, he was as close to DiStefano as you'll ever get.

Just my opinion.

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Zorg

The question was who do the French consider the better player. It's an interesting one and probably comes down to a generation thing, a bit like Robson/Keane. Interestingly I have heard some (clearly clueless) reds saying Robson was overrated.

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Serenity Now

I remember Gianni Agnelli saying that watching Zidane play for Juve had brought them a lot of pleasure, but that Platini had brought them a lot of victories.

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Fountz

Quote:
I remember Gianni Agnelli saying that watching Zidane play for Juve had brought them a lot of pleasure, but that Platini had brought them a lot of victories.
They did have quite a few other decent players aswell though.

Zoff, Gentile, Scirea, Bettega, Rossi, Boniek, Tardelli to name but a few.

Additionally, Platini played his peak years at Juventus, Zidane played his at Real.. ( where he also brought them a lot of victories )

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Serenity Now

In his five years at Madrid, Zidane won one league title - which Ronaldo played a far more integral role than Zidane in winning - and one European Cup. In the five years prior to his arrival they won two Europeans Cups and two league titles.

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Fountz

Quote:
In his five years at Madrid, Zidane won one league title - which Ronaldo played a far more integral role than Zidane in winning - and one European Cup. In the five years prior to his arrival they won two Europeans Cups and two league titles.
Perhaps, but Zidane was the star in The European Cup. Additionally he was also instrumental in driving the France side on to their more successful but less celebrated victories in 98 and 02.

It's a judgement call obviously, but asked who'd I want at United at their peak, I'd have Zidane every time.

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Perhaps, but Zidane was the star in The European Cup. Additionally he was also instrumental in driving the France side on to their more successful but less celebrated victories in 98 and 02.
When they got knocked out of the World Cup without scoring a goal?

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Rhodzy

Quote:

Javier Zanetti

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:42 AM
dodger

Cantona pisses on both

Unread 05-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Serenity Now

Zidane was definitely instrumental at Euro 2000, albeit not to anything like the degree to which Platini was in 1984 and fairly poor in the final, but in 1998? When he was suspended for two matches, both of which France won, and quite ordinary until the final?
Closed Thread