United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-02-2008, 11:52 PM
HollowmanVIII

But the showboating came against Arsenal, so it's all good imo.

Unread 16-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Barney77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy
3 words;

You've Never played football.

Ok, thats 4.

That much is clear and goes for the rest of you too, showboating when you have already inflicted a heavy defeat on someone shows a lack of class. that is a simple fact, if you dont agree then you have never played the game and therefore your opinion is null and void.
I don't agree and I played football. Now your argument is £#%&!ed isn't it....

Unread 16-02-2008, 11:59 PM
dinger

If we were hammering Havant & Waterlooville and he did that it would be embarrasing, however he was doing it against the greatest team in the world when we were hammering them.
Because they are such a set of snide, mouthy, bad-tempered, bad losers it was totally justified.

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:00 AM
The Mull

Quote:
3 words;

You've Never played football.Ok, thats 4.

That much is clear and goes for the rest of you too, showboating when you have already inflicted a heavy defeat on someone shows a lack of class. that is a simple fact, if you dont agree then you have never played the game and therefore your opinion is null and void.
Ahem.....I think you'll find that is 5.

As for the rest of your post.............all I will say is........

Monsieur Eric Cantonna./ Mr George Best........ both had instances when showboating/expressing excellent ability whilst being hacked by opposing players

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Tumescent Throb

Firstly, Nani was simply improvising to keep control of the ball. But showboating is ace, so let's have more of it.

Secondly, I honestly think that this LMC cretin thinks of himself as a wum.

Wiganste, nail on head. Good man

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

SKY Sports - 'Arsenal complained about his showboating'

Alex Ferguson - 'I think they're right, there's no need to do that, we've had a word with him, he wont do it again'

So if your calling me a @#%&! then your also calling ferguson a @#%&!. I think fergie knows a bit more about whats what in football then you do if you think thats something to be encouraged.

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Rhodzy

Quote:

Alex Ferguson - 'I think they're right, there's no need to do that, we've had a word with him, he wont do it again'

So if your calling me a @#%&! then your also calling ferguson a @#%&!. I think fergie knows a bit more about whats what in football then you do if you think thats something to be encouraged.
I don't agree with it except against a arrogant side like Arsenal.

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Ether

Quote:

Nope, I'm definitely just calling you a @#%&!. Sorry.

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Tumescent Throb

I £#%&!ing love it.

I've still got the bit of tape from when United (Giggs and Kanchelskis) played keep ball 3-0 up in the cup at Wimbledon in 94

Fantastic stuff. More please

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:25 AM
Grimson

Quote:

He's got to say that tho, hasn't he. Can't really put any stock in that.

If Gallas hadn't run his mouth beforehand, it might have bothered me. But he did, so £#%&! them.

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
I £#%&!ing love it.

I've still got the bit of tape from when United (Giggs and Kanchelskis) played keep ball 3-0 up in the cup at Wimbledon in 94

Fantastic stuff. More please
Do you also paint your face on match day and wear a jesters hat and only sing when were winning?

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Do you also paint your face on match day and wear a jesters hat and only sing when were winning?
I wouldn't know if you were wining drawing or losing, as you live far too far away.

If you don't like individual expression and high quality technical skills being demonstrated on a football pitch at the highest level in the biggest competitions then I suggest to you that you probably ought to stop pretending to be a United fan.

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

There were tons of positives today, that bit of piss taking wasn't one of them though.

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Hopskipjump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
I ROFLed when he did that.
bet arsene did too

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Serenity Now

He's not English. To criticise him for not having the sensibilities of an Englishman when he's barely been in the country for six months is a bit strange, to say the least. Using your skill to humiliate your opponent is a big part of the football culture in the Latin world - the mere act of doing so is seen to have merit in itself, even if it is completely unproductive in the context of the game.

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:41 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
He's not English. To criticise him for not having the sensibilities of an Englishman when he's barely been in the country for six months is a bit strange, to say the least. Using your skill to humiliate your opponent is a big part of the football culture in the Latin world - the mere act of doing so is seen to have merit in itself, even if it is completely unproductive in the context of the game.
I'm English, Serenity, and I love it.

The nearest thing to taking the piss on a football pitch is watching United take the piss on a football pitch. well played Nani

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:43 AM
The Greatest

Lou Macaris Chippy i can conform that you a a first class @#%&!

hope this helps

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Luffy

whats wrong with showboating exactly?

as a football fan I love seeing extraordinary bits of skill and flair - the game is as close to art as the sporting world can possibly get and utd is all about flair and entertainment (sport after all is just entertainment at the end of the day).

as an athlete/football player - I'm always trying to push my boundaries and accomplish the extraordinary or do something thats just downright fun. Whether its ronaldinho doing a pass with his back, ronaldo doing legovers or crosses from behind his standing leg, or rooney trying a cheeky audacious chip - its all "showing off" or as I prefer to see it - trying to create something beautiful.

I grew up worshiping Cantona, to me football is about playing a beautiful game and aspiring towards something special - thats how United players should be and thats how united fans should be.

the only downside to showboating is risking injury. if someone did it against united, I would be furious with the united players for allowing it to happen.

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:48 AM
khmk

exactly.

entertainment.

Unread 17-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
I'm English, Serenity, and I love it.
I like it too, particularly against a bunch of @#%&!s like Arsenal. But you can't deny that most British people - both inside and outside the game - see it as extremely disrespectful.
Closed Thread