United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Gog Coch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
The passion with which Harry Greg spoke about the Babes really struck me. Especially towards the end, when talking about the effect of the crash on all the families. Very moving stuff. So too was the look of sheer joy on Sir Bobbys face when watching his old team mates on film. Thought he spoke very eloquently about that great team.

As for Edwards, he must have been some player if Charlton rates him as the best he ever played with!

Loved the colour footage of the Lads playing in '57 too. I wasn’t aware that we’d played in blue before the ’68 final. And the game at Bilbao in 1957. I've read about that game, but never seen any footage. £#%&! me, the conditions they played in looked terrible.

Two very good shows.
Duncan had a great sidekick that complemented him by the name of Eddie 'Snakehips' Coleman. Small and very skillfull and tricky.

Unread 05-02-2008, 02:09 PM
penguin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Drinker
I was sent to do the accounts on site at a horrible,shitty textile sweastshop on the edge of the City centre in about '86 or '87.Got in conversation with the book-keeper there who was on what would barely have passed for a minimum wage at that time.Turned out to be Jackie Blanchflower.Cracking bloke he was and we spent a good while talking about football and I don't recall the tiniest resentment of how he was treated which was simply the way things were done in those days in the absence of 'grief counsellors' who spring up everywhere today.

Ashtrays on motorbikes > grief counsellors

Unread 05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

Quote:
There's some great stuff about Coleman in "Strange Kind Of Glory". If you haven't read, I really would advise getting it. Does a wonderful job of re-creating the pre Munich era Manchester United. Recently been republished.

Also, a picture of the team, post-munich, in Milan before the 1958 European Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg. They look cool as £#%&!

http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?i...4532552qs7.jpg
Cheers, I'll try & get hold of that book.

Unread 05-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
There's some great stuff about Coleman in "Strange Kind Of Glory". If you haven't read, I really would advise getting it. Does a wonderful job of re-creating the pre Munich era Manchester United. Recently been republished.

Also, a picture of the team, post-munich, in Milan before the 1958 European Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg. They look cool as £#%&!

http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?i...4532552qs7.jpg
currently half way through it

dunphy can actually write

Unread 05-02-2008, 04:07 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
currently half way through it

dunphy can actually write
Beautifully at times. He writes with a flare I find is missing from most contemporary football books.

Certainly the best book about Manchester United and Sir Matt I've ever read.

Unread 05-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Beautifully at times. He writes with a flare I find is missing from most contemporary football books.

Certainly the best book about Manchester United and Sir Matt I've ever read.
have you read the book by the journo who survived the crash

he and busby were the last two left in the hospital, the name escapes me right now

for first hand reporting on the accident and the immediate aftermath it is both excellent and harrowing

Unread 05-02-2008, 04:18 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
have you read the book by the journo who survived the crash

he and busby were the last two left in the hospital, the name escapes me right now

for first hand reporting on the accident and the immediate aftermath it is both excellent and harrowing
Never read that.

Can you remember the name of the journalist who wrote it?

Unread 05-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Never read that.

Can you remember the name of the journalist who wrote it?
found it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Team-Die...24914&s r=8-1

Unread 05-02-2008, 04:43 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Cheers

Unread 05-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Tumescent Throb

The Bilbao game is interesting, and must have been thrilling; United lost the 1st leg in January away 5-3, and won through 3-0 in Manchester on February the 6th 1957.

I once saw film of ex-United players - Munich survivors - talking about that Bilbao game; about how they'd been bored at the airport in the terrible conditions and had been larking around and helping the aiport workers clear ice and snow off the plane and runway so that they could get home quicker.

Anybody know of this film - ITV I think it was, possibly around the 40th anniversary?

Unread 05-02-2008, 06:19 PM
miss white

Watched the prgramme last night - it was truly amazing. I bang on about my family knowing the busby babes through Uncle Stan , but it's true. I just wish, in a way, things were different. Let's hope it passes cleanly, and with the respect it deserves

Unread 05-02-2008, 06:23 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss white
Let's hope it passes cleanly, and with the respect it deserves
..I'm not so sure that it will.

I think there's a minutes silence at Wembley tomorrow before the England game, which no doubt will be ruined..
...+ I've got a feeling the City fans will behave like the backward @#%&!s that they are on Sunday.
Really hope I'm wrong.

Unread 05-02-2008, 08:22 PM
£#%&! KFC

the Billy Whelan programme was excellent, what a player he was and could have been

the BBC 4 programmes were interesting as well lots of footage I hadn't seen before

Unread 05-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Flowers of Manchester

BBC 4 last night was moving, especially with Sir Bobby. Also the clips showed great movement and passing. The way Sir Bobby talked about Duncan Edwards seriously makes you think that he could have gone on to the best ever.

Going to be an emotional day tomorrow and Sunday.

I wish I booked to go to Munich now, should of went on my own

Unread 05-02-2008, 09:55 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowers of Manchester
BBC 4 last night was moving, especially with Sir Bobby. Also the clips showed great movement and passing. The way Sir Bobby talked about Duncan Edwards seriously makes you think that he could have gone on to the best ever.

Going to be an emotional day tomorrow and Sunday.

I wish I booked to go to Munich now, should of went on my own
why?? did you not go to the crash site before?

Unread 05-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Flowers of Manchester

no mate

Asked a few if they were up for it esp as it was only £30 odd for a day trip, at the time of checking the flight details...but Ste was the only one up for it but its his boy's birthday tomorrow.

Unread 05-02-2008, 10:01 PM
£#%&! KFC

we went before one of the Euro ties with Munich, not too sure I could handle being there tomorrow

Unread 05-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Flowers of Manchester

Default Munich - The Documentary

Just seen it.

Great programme, very very emotional.

If you have the chance to catch it on MUTV tomorrow (as its free it air) you must catch it.

Entire history of how the Busby Babes started, to the crash and the aftermath.
Closed Thread