United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-12-2006, 02:03 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
did very little last night other than score. But that was plenty, under the circumstances.

Rooney should not be in midfield. He should be exactly where he is, or at least exactly where he is when Fergie isn't £#%&!ing around. In the centre, behind the centre-forward. There will be no better role for him, and there will be no better player for that role.

Assuming it was Rooney Silv meant, and not Ferdinand. Who shouldn't be in midfield either. We tried that, remember?
No I meant Ferdinand.

He just seems so composed that he could play that holding role and pass the ball about with aplomb. Saying that I wouldnt take him out of defence because hes needed and we wont be able to find a replacement.

Id like to see him get more involved further up the pitch, like Carvallho has been doing recently.

But dont take my football opinion to be worth anything!

Unread 07-12-2006, 02:03 PM
armchair

Quote:
did very little last night other than score. But that was plenty, under the circumstances.

Rooney should not be in midfield. He should be exactly where he is, or at least exactly where he is when Fergie isn't £#%&!ing around. In the centre, behind the centre-forward. There will be no better role for him, and there will be no better player for that role.

Assuming it was Rooney Silv meant, and not Ferdinand. Who shouldn't be in midfield either. We tried that, remember?
yes but both Rooney and Ferdinand have important midfield roles to play. Rio stepping up and Rooney dropping deep. No harm in Rooney playing himself into a game deep where he can get more time/touches on the ball.

Unread 07-12-2006, 02:06 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
wolves FA cup if my poor memory serves correct. and it worked because wolves were shit

Unread 07-12-2006, 02:24 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
wolves FA cup if my poor memory serves correct. and it worked because wolves were shit
We did it at Ewood park as well in that game we lost 4-3.
It was a disaster!

I hate using cliche's but football is a very simple game. You should never be a smart arse or try to complicate things.
You pick your best eleven players in their best positions & that should be the end of it.

Of course you should have a level of flexibility amongst the movement that your attacking players give you, but starting a game with Wayne Rooney as a wing-back is utter madness.
Equally allowing Ronaldo to 'roam' rather than provide width is also sloppy.
I don't remember Kanchelskis ever getting under Hughesies feet the way Ronnie was with Saha last night. We were so congested at times.

We think we're something we're not in European football. We think we can play a 'cagey' European style, but we can't.
10 of our last 15 European games have seen us fail to score a goal & we've won one of our last 12 away games.

I think it's safe to say 4-5-1 isn't working Fergie.

Unread 07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
wonky no

I think Wayne is feeling the weight of the team on his shoulders. He seems keen. He seems the type that beats himself up mentally. We would benefit from having a player that gives him moral support, someone like Teddy would help him out 10 fold.

We have no-one who is going to throw an arm around him on the pitch. His first touch is rushed, almost panicky, but there are few players around that can use the ball once he has it under.

Unread 10-12-2006, 03:19 PM
armchair

The few days rest will do him good. That is, if he doen't have to do loads of promotional stuff.
Closed Thread