United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:07 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
If it makes you feel better I did not mean all of that. I think Everton and Newcastle would play hardball over Neville and Parker.
and why not with midfield generals of their quality. Only 12 or so weeks of anti-Hargreaves drivel to go before the season starts and the drive him out of the club agenda can start up.The handbook is there ready from Carrick last summer.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Why are people perpetuating this myth of Hargreaves having a glassback?

And who started it? One broken leg does not make him injury prone.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

I don't think it's any co-incidence that Bayern wanted to replace Hargreaves with Emre imo.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:19 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Why are people perpetuating this myth of Hargreaves having a glassback?

And who started it? One broken leg does not make him injury prone.
It's not a myth. He has a well-substantiated reputation for being injured.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:21 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
and why not with midfield generals of their quality. Only 12 or so weeks of anti-Hargreaves drivel to go before the season starts and the drive him out of the club agenda can start up.The handbook is there ready from Carrick last summer.
I'm not anti-Hargreaves, I even liked Mr Men books when I was younger. I think that if we knocked the 1 off the start of the figure he will be bought for then if would be a decent deal for a player who is only 26 ish.

But let's flag down a cab and head for real street, this is a player who has never played 30 league games in a season and who, despite you referring to him being a free kick taker and lightening fast on the old forum has only ever scored 5 goals, a scoring record comparable to Gary Neville.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:21 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
I don't think it's any co-incidence that Bayern wanted to replace Hargreaves with Emre imo.
I don't think there's any evidence that Bayern wanted to replace Hargreaves with Emre.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:23 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I'm not anti-Hargreaves, I even liked Mr Men books when I was younger. I think that if we knocked the 1 off the start of the figure he will be bought for then if would be a decent deal for a player who is only 26 ish.

But let's flag down a cab and head for real street, this is a player who has never played 30 league games in a season and who, despite you referring to him being a free kick taker and lightening fast on the old forum has only ever scored 5 goals, a scoring record comparable to Gary Neville.
So like Carrick he's an expensive mistake who we could've got comparible to for half the money. It's like deja vu all over again. Joy.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:30 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
So like Carrick he's an expensive mistake who we could've got comparible to for half the money. It's like deja vu all over again. Joy.
Well I'll stick with my clueless and pathetic opinion and not go and make an immature and anachronistic parody post about it then.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

3 muscular injuries in 2002/3 (surely would have been all connected)

1 broken leg

Over 7 seasons - he's hardly Darren Anderton is he?

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:33 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Well I'll stick with my clueless and pathetic opinion and not go and make an immature and anachronistic parody post about it then.
By immature and anachronistic I'm sure you mean accurate. As to a parody, I don't need to bother, the Hargreaves posts now are virtually identical in every way to last seasons Carrick posts so the job's done for me.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:39 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
By immature and anachronistic I'm sure you mean accurate. As to a parody, I don't need to bother, the Hargreaves posts now are virtually identical in every way to last seasons Carrick posts so the job's done for me.
If you want to define the signings of Zakora and Huddlestone as happening AFTER the carrick to united deal as accurate you are at liberty to do so, you will be about as accurate as when you said that hargreaves was a free kick taker but if you want to live in your own little world where that is the case then I'm really not bothered about it.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:40 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
3 muscular injuries in 2002/3 (surely would have been all connected)

1 broken leg

Over 7 seasons - he's hardly Darren Anderton is he?
Let the stats speak for themselves:

Louis Saha 2004-2007

League appearances:

2004-05: 14
2005-06: 19
2006-07: 24

Total: 57

Owen Hargreaves 2004-2007

League appearances:

2004-05: 27
2005-06: 15
2006-07: 9

Total: 51

Saha has made the same amount of league appearances this season as Hargreaves has in his last two.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:43 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
If you want to define the signings of Zakora and Huddlestone as happening AFTER the carrick to united deal as accurate you are at liberty to do so, you will be about as accurate as when you said that hargreaves was a free kick taker but if you want to live in your own little world where that is the case then I'm really not bothered about it.
I don't get you? Are you saying people weren't making identical posts to the Hargreaves ones about signing players such as Zokoro and Huddlestone before or after Carrick signed 'cos both were true. As to Hargreaves taking freekicks, he did, both freekicks from wide and corners regularly, not my little world, Munichs I'm afraid. I certainly never made him out to be a goalscorer by the way. Anyway, I hope he as much a failure as the other midfielder we should never have signed.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:44 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Let the stats speak for themselves:

Louis Saha 2004-2007

League appearances:

2004-05: 14
2005-06: 19
2006-07: 24

Total: 57

Owen Hargreaves 2004-2007

League appearances:

2004-05: 27
2005-06: 15
2006-07: 9

Total: 51

Saha has made the same amount of league appearances this season as Hargreaves has in his last two.
Didn't Hargreaves break his leg in one of those seasons? Still it's gonna bea nightmare compounding the Carrick mistake with another who's not as good and injury prone too. Get Jagielka in he'll give you 50 games a season.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:48 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Didn't Hargreaves break his leg in one of those seasons? Still it's gonna bea nightmare compounding the Carrick mistake with another who's not as good and injury prone too. Get Jagielka in he'll give you 50 games a season.
Yes, and he's been poor since he returned. Add that to the fact he only managed 15 league games the season before, and you should be able to understand my concern.

144 league appearances in seven seasons. An average of around 20 league games per season.

I always thought Carrick would be a good signing, by the way.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:49 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
I don't get you? Are you saying people weren't making identical posts to the Hargreaves ones about signing players such as Zokoro and Huddlestone before or after Carrick signed 'cos both were true. As to Hargreaves taking freekicks, he did, both freekicks from wide and corners regularly, not my little world, Munichs I'm afraid. I certainly never made him out to be a goalscorer by the way. Anyway, I hope he as much a failure as the other midfielder we should never have signed.
No, as you named 2 players who were signed well before Carrick was sold (in huddlestones case 2 years before). You hark back to the Carrick thing as though it is your shield against hargreaves abuse? I never said don't sign Carrick, I was all for it and although 18 is a little much I though 14 up front was within the bounds of acceptable for a player of his quality. It isn't with Hargreaves though and when/if he signs for us I will wish him all the best Bayern will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Unread 22-05-2007, 02:54 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
No, as you named 2 players who were signed well before Carrick was sold (in huddlestones case 2 years before). You hark back to the Carrick thing as though it is your shield against hargreaves abuse? I never said don't sign Carrick, I was all for it and although 18 is a little much I though 14 up front was within the bounds of acceptable for a player of his quality. It isn't with Hargreaves though and when/if he signs for us I will wish him all the best Bayern will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Couldn't give a shit what Bayern do personally. I'm more interested in what Hargreaves does and I've seen enough of him to know he'll do a cracking job for us as has Fergie, so much so he's been chasing him for a full year now. A whole year to find a player he thinks willdo better for us, or even as`well for less money, he hasn't found one and I think that's 'cos there isn't one.

S/Side I can undertand that concern, his fitness hasn't been great the last 2 seasons. It was fine before that.

Unread 22-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Qwertyuiop

Hargreaves has made 210 appearances in 7 seasons at Bayern, an average of 30 games a year. Considering he missed almost a year with a broken leg & he only made 19 appearences in his 'breakthrough' season, I'd say thats a pretty decent record.
Closed Thread