United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_Tier2
your shooting tonite was fooking awful..............

fletcher on the other hand.......... superlative

just need him to start doing it against less significant opposition too
You do realise that i'm not actually him

He missed a sitter but Carrick played very well. One day you'll see what the rest of us see dear Stanley

Fletcher was excellent again. It's a pity not many round here showed the same faith as some of us did a while ago.

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
You do realise that i'm not actually him

He missed a sitter but Carrick played very well. One day you'll see what the rest of us see dear Stanley

Fletcher was excellent again. It's a pity not many round here showed the same faith as some of us did a while ago.
Now, let's not be silly.

The reason nobody had faith was because Fletcher seldom gave us reason.

That he has stepped up with such performances begs the question, why wasn't he doing this the last 3 years?

As I said, he's finally realised he was on his way out of the club if he didn't put in some performances. He was in the comfort zone for too long.

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
like ive said time and time again

carrick - good player......... but prob 6 - 8 games ive seen him play for us where he has actually made me think he is anything more........

Ronaldo was again sublime and between him and Fletcher bossed the midfield

Carrick didnt inspire creativity in my eyes

Scholes beautiful for 2nd goal but aside from that was quite poor...... as ive said looked very tired

Flectcher has proved himself a big game player..... chelsea last season and a couple of sterling european performances this year............

but needs to do it on a more consistent basis before i start thinking we dont need another midfielder in the hargreaves mould to take on the permanent mantle
You always said he was average you @#%&!

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Terry Silver

Without being patronising, I see Carrick as the type of player who only tends to be appreciated by those who have played the game.

Anyone with eyes in their head can see the quality of Rooney, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho types.

Carrick's influence might not be so obvious to some, but it's pretty clear when you look at the league table.

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
Now, let's not be silly.

The reason nobody had faith was because Fletcher seldom gave us reason.

That he has stepped up with such performances begs the question, why wasn't he doing this the last 3 years?

As I said, he's finally realised he was on his way out of the club if he didn't put in some performances. He was in the comfort zone for too long.
To be fair, I have always been the first to admit he has been poor in the last couple of seasons but you have to remember he was a very young player coming into the side and suffered from a very bad injury.

After being built up as a promising youngster and possible replacement for Beckham, I don't think he handled the expectation particularly well and his form and confidence dipped for a couple of years-as it does for a lot of young players.

But this season he has added a greater consistency to his games, doing a good job when called upon. As you will know yourself, it is always hard when you are not starting regularly to gain momentum and match fitness but, particularly recently, he has been playing a lot more and his confidence is beaming.

As I have stated for some time, he is a very good squad player and an integral part of our football club, both now and in the future, but we still need to add to our midfield.

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Without being patronising, I see Carrick as the type of player who only tends to be appreciated by those who have played the game.

Anyone with eyes in their head can see the quality of Rooney, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho types.

Carrick's influence might not be so obvious to some, but it's pretty clear when you look at the league table.
Nail on the head Terrence.

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
who did you play for then?????

ive played the game....... and i appreciate he isnt a flair player...... but then again i can prob pick about 8 games where he has truly set himself out as anything more than just a 'good' player
I played for Watford and Spurs as a kid.

I'm still amazed that people who watch United each week, and who have played the game can still fail to appreciate what an important job he does for us.

He is a real footballer. I'm sure Paul Scholes would agree.

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
ill ask pure to ask him

ive just said i dont think of him as more than a good player....... tonite i watched him and sat i watched him v closely

hes got a good motor......... and tackles back well....prepared to get stuck in

but his passing is by a long margin off the standard of those around him

and sos his shooting

and just which sometimes hed get hold of the ball and take control of the midfield

seem him do it so know he can........ maybe in a fletcher kind of mould he just needs to take some responsibility to improve his game

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Terry Silver

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

I wasn't too keen on us signing him, to be honest. He has impressed me and surprised me. His passes can sometimes go amiss, but so can Scholes'.

His two footedness is a bonus too. Just a shame he made a hash of that chance in the second half. That said, I'm glad we didn't take the lead until the last minute as Milan could well have hit back given 5 or 10 minutes.

Unread 25-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Skag Trendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
I'm a bit worried for my sanity - I've slated the guy (although thought for a brief while last year he might be a player after all & then quickly changed it back...) but he's been superb in these two
You and most on here have slated him cause you think its big and clever and makes you look like top reds

Unread 25-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skag Trendy
You and most on here have slated him cause you think its big and clever and makes you look like top reds
No. It's because he hasn't performed for 3 years.

If he played like this every week he'd be in our first eleven.

He doesn't. So he's not.

It's not rocket science.

Unread 25-04-2007, 08:32 AM
puressence

Tbh Carrick Has Been Magic In The Last 2/3 Months

Unread 25-04-2007, 08:37 AM
armchair

an epic, heroic display from the kid

Unread 25-04-2007, 09:05 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
No. It's because he hasn't performed for 3 years.

If he played like this every week he'd be in our first eleven.

He doesn't. So he's not.

It's not rocket science.
I think the point is that he was put in the team before he was ready and was put under unfair pressure to perform - he didn't and his confidence got shot at.

Fergie's fault in my opinion in trying to solve a midfield problem with an unestablished player who needed to establish himself by playing with decent players around him.

But modern football is demanding. Even great and more established players like Gary Pallister and Andy Cole were given considerable more time to bed in. The team around them allowed them to do that.

Not anymore. Fletch has been hampered by the fact that none or very few of his midfield partners have been performing and he quickly became the fan's target for their frustration. Mine also.

There's a long way to go but getting rid of the grumbles when his name is read out is a start.

Great performance last night.

Unread 25-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Billy Baroo

he's had a couple of very good games

let's not go overboard but let's hope it bodes well and he can find some real consistency

Unread 25-04-2007, 09:10 AM
RedNumberSeven

Default Fringe Players

Which player has a Fringe, do you mean like a Phil Oakey 80's flick

Unread 25-04-2007, 09:13 AM
magic_cantona

Not read the thread but am hoping it's a positive one towards Fletcher.I have never had a good word for him but, lately, he's really improved and is making a real effort.

I agree Pure, he's now gained lots of experience and although he's never going to be a 'first name on sheet', he deserves some credit for how he's performing.

Unread 25-04-2007, 10:09 AM
armchair

he loves playing against italians - international football has matured him and he'll give hargy a run for his money next season

Unread 25-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Jack Duckworth

fantastic performance from fletcher last night. however, he's still got a long way to go in my eyes to be considered a 'united' midfielder.

he's had a good few games, what he needs to show now is consistency. i hope he does.

Unread 25-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Part 36 Offer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
I think the point is that he was put in the team before he was ready and was put under unfair pressure to perform - he didn't and his confidence got shot at.

Fergie's fault in my opinion in trying to solve a midfield problem with an unestablished player who needed to establish himself by playing with decent players around him.

But modern football is demanding. Even great and more established players like Gary Pallister and Andy Cole were given considerable more time to bed in. The team around them allowed them to do that.

Not anymore. Fletch has been hampered by the fact that none or very few of his midfield partners have been performing and he quickly became the fan's target for their frustration. Mine also.

There's a long way to go but getting rid of the grumbles when his name is read out is a start.

Great performance last night.
Spot on.
Closed Thread