Unread 18-05-2014, 04:15 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrington avenue
get over it ...i bet you had a bad day in 2003 too ffs

11 years ago

hopefully your leccy will run out soon
Haha this is insane!

I made the suggestion that he was not world class, as he was labelled, in his time at Leeds and his first few years with us, and I'm been shot down...

£#%&!ing hell.....God forbid if I suggest Van Der Gouw was a good keeper. I can imagine the responses already

Unread 18-05-2014, 04:15 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Don't care what anyone says, he only really came of age by the time the Vidic partnership developed. He seemed to cut out the clumsy mistakes a lot more at that time. Didn't really deserve the level of abuse in red issue.

£#%&!ing hell......The voice of reason!!!

Unread 18-05-2014, 04:24 AM
barrington avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Haha this is insane!

I made the suggestion that he was not world class, as he was labelled, in his time at Leeds and his first few years with us, and I'm been shot down...

£#%&!ing hell.....God forbid if I suggest Van Der Gouw was a good keeper. I can imagine the responses already
have you been in jail for last 10 years?

no he wasnt world class at 21 but who is?

dont get mixed up with englands 'stars' being world class and being good players

i used to think Beckham was over hyped until rooney came along

Unread 18-05-2014, 04:41 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrington avenue
have you been in jail for last 10 years?

no he wasnt world class at 21 but who is?

dont get mixed up with englands 'stars' being world class and being good players

i used to think Beckham was over hyped until rooney came along
This is my point!!
I don't get where the hyping up comes from or people seemingly lose their memory.

I remember been at games in 2004 and 2005 and the fans were on Rio's case. Big time!....It like the Phil Neville thing. Where people are now saying he was always the left back behind Giggs....Eh no he wasn't!! Even Beckham is saying it now!

Course Rio turned out to be world class and great etc etc but, he wasn't like that before 2006. That's just my point. I'm not trying to run the guy down or anything

Unread 18-05-2014, 04:51 AM
Crumps

Quote:
This is my point!!
I don't get where the hyping up comes from or people seemingly lose their memory.

I remember been at games in 2004 and 2005 and the fans were on Rio's case. Big time!....It like the Phil Neville thing. Where people are now saying he was always the left back behind Giggs....Eh no he wasn't!! Even Beckham is saying it now!

Course Rio turned out to be world class and great etc etc but, he wasn't like that before 2006. That's just my point. I'm not trying to run the guy down or anything
Rio's performances at the World Cup in 2002 were certainly befitting of a player described as world class. He was at his best with a settled unit. Shock £#%&!ing horror.

To deny his standing in the game is £#%&!ing ridiculous. Best defender not to play for Milan in 30 years.

People were only ever on Rio's case because of his perceived personality. Anyone that doesn't rate him as a defender has no business watching a decent football team.

What are your views on John Terry?

Unread 18-05-2014, 05:05 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Rio's performances at the World Cup in 2002 were certainly befitting of a player described as world class. He was at his best with a settled unit. Shock £#%&!ing horror.

To deny his standing in the game is £#%&!ing ridiculous. Best defender not to play for Milan in 30 years.

People were only ever on Rio's case because of his perceived personality. Anyone that doesn't rate him as a defender has no business watching a decent football team.

Ok well you're an idiot for taken things out of context!

Never "denied his standing in the game"....Did you not read the part where I said he turned out to be great, world class, brilliant etc etc no?....

Because I said he wasn't the world class player he was made out to be between 2001-2006....Where is the problem in that? He hit a peak in 2006 and he was amazing and deserved all the praise he got from there on in...I never denied that. It's perfectly reasonable to suggest he was over praised and hyped between 2001 and 2006....In fact, didn't our captain go on TV and maul him in 2005?

So I'm clear on this, because I don't think Rio was amazing between 2001 and 2006, I am now a City supporter and I have now apparently said Rio was shite and have denied his standing in the game........Riiiiiiiiiight

Unread 18-05-2014, 05:15 AM
Stickman

Quote:
My point still stands though.
He was been labelled world class even before he came here and up until 2006, he really wasn't. He was so frustrating and lax it was insane.

The amount of times back then, you'd see him jogging back or after a player in "not really arsed" sort of way, made me pull my hair out.

Again, I go back to them Milan games in 2005 and pin point Nesta. That was a world class defender in action! You think Nesta would have let that Crespo header happen?? No chance!

Rio turned out to be world class and a great defender but, before 2006, the hype was ridiculous and the shit he got away with astounded me...People blaming Blanc in 2002/2003 for some of the things that happened, Rio was just as much at fault if not more...£#%&!ing Silvestre covered Rio's arse in 2003 and that really is saying something
Do you think Stam was world class?
Take a look at Gerrards header in Istanbul - if you can bear it.

Specifics...pointless as they don't say much in terms of consistency.

Unread 18-05-2014, 05:24 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Do you think Stam was world class?
Take a look at Gerrards header in Istanbul - if you can bear it.

Specifics...pointless as they don't say much in terms of consistency.
I'm not watching that...Once is enough :/

To be fair, the Nesta thing was just the one example that came to mind right away.

Unread 18-05-2014, 05:26 AM
barrington avenue

Quote:
Ok well you're an idiot for taken things out of context!

Never "denied his standing in the game"....Did you not read the part where I said he turned out to be great, world class, brilliant etc etc no?....

Because I said he wasn't the world class player he was made out to be between 2001-2006....Where is the problem in that? He hit a peak in 2006 and he was amazing and deserved all the praise he got from there on in...I never denied that. It's perfectly reasonable to suggest he was over praised and hyped between 2001 and 2006....In fact, didn't our captain go on TV and maul him in 2005?

So I'm clear on this, because I don't think Rio was amazing between 2001 and 2006, I am now a City supporter and I have now apparently said Rio was shite and have denied his standing in the game........Riiiiiiiiiight

weirdo

Unread 18-05-2014, 05:44 AM
Clarkie

[quote=Stickman;3754753]
Quote:
My point still stands though.
He was been labelled world class even before he came here and up until 2006, he really wasn't. He was so frustrating and lax it was insane.

That goal was Silvestres fault.
Both at fault...And the fact Rio casually legged it after Owen, while a guy, at the other end of the pitch, got the closest to Owen was a disgrace.

I'm not sure what the big deal is here ha.
I haven't said anything controversial or that hasn't been said before. And I'm not even taken anything away from Rio has a footballer or from his achievements

Unread 18-05-2014, 05:56 AM
barrington avenue

[quote=Clarkie;3754754]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

Both at fault...And the fact Rio casually legged it after Owen, while a guy, at the other end of the pitch, got the closest to Owen was a disgrace.

I'm not sure what the big deal is here ha.
I haven't said anything controversial or that hasn't been said before. And I'm not even taken anything away from Rio has a footballer or from his achievements
take an overdose

Unread 18-05-2014, 05:59 AM
Clarkie

[quote=barrington avenue;3754756]
Quote:

take an overdose
Smart

Unread 18-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Stickman

[quote=barrington avenue;3754756]
Quote:

take an overdose
Oi! Looks like you've quoted me

Unread 18-05-2014, 08:08 AM
believe

During his first three years he played alongside a constant rotation of Blanc, Bown, Silvestre, O'Shea and Phil Neville

He's been an excellent player for us and quite comfortably the best in Europe for many of the years he's been here, despite being a bit of a @#%&!.

ps I've just been clicking through the squads from 2001-2004, £#%&!ing hell how we came back from them years is beyond me. That squad makes Liverpools current squad look like 1970 Brazil

Unread 18-05-2014, 09:52 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps

Tbh nicky butt was called player ofthe tournament by pele aswell

Unread 18-05-2014, 09:59 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Tbh nicky butt was called player ofthe tournament by pele aswell
come on pure, i think Rio as a bloke is an absolute sausage, however as a player he's been a genuine world class defender for united for the best part of 12 years

club should have kept him on coaching the kids. talent like his should be passed down

ease the hate

Unread 18-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Harri Jaffa

Described by Giggs as the toughest defender to play against when Rio was at Leeds.

Unread 18-05-2014, 10:00 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Described by Giggs as the toughest defender to play against when Rio was at Leeds.
Giggs is full of shit though tbf.

Unread 18-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Giggs is full of shit though tbf.
Good point actually

Also wasn't Giggs shit from 2001 - 2006 as well

Unread 18-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Good point actually

Also wasn't Giggs shit from 2001 - 2006 as well
Was probably shitter then than he was for the next 8 years.
Closed Thread