United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-04-2009, 10:21 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockOfTheNorth
Cathcart has been on loan all season.
Another very highly rated CB. Not seen all that much of him in the last 18 months, but he looked a £#%&!ing good prospect last time I saw him.

Unread 05-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockOfTheNorth
Cathcart has been on loan all season.
fair point. arse seen. plymouth?

Unread 05-04-2009, 10:55 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

I don't think Matt James will be too far behind him in arriving in the 1st team squad FWIW.

:
I believe he's rather highly rated. Passing midfielder with a good engine.?

Unread 05-04-2009, 10:58 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I believe he's rather highly rated. Passing midfielder with a good engine.?
Big @#%&! too.

Made 2 of Macheda's goals on Monday with defence splitting passes. Good range of passing to go with it, short, long and the vision required to use it.

I have high hopes for him, so that's him £#%&!ed.

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:00 PM
CockOfTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
fair point. arse seen. plymouth?
Yeah, he's been doing very well by all accounts and looks likely to become a top defender I reckon

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Big @#%&! too.

Made 2 of Macheda's goals on Monday with defence splitting passes. Good range of passing to go with it, short, long and the vision required to use it.

I have high hopes for him, so that's him £#%&!ed.
Saw then both, fabulous passes. You never know, I honestly think we have some great quality coming through.

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

Thumbs up

hope Fabio and Rafael play together in the 1st team some time very soon as well

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:43 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I've just been thinking recently that after a period that has maybe not produced "star" players as that great team in the early 90s did that we may have restarted the "production line" again. This season, Evans looks like he could slot in at centre half for 10 years, obviously behind Vidic and Rio. At fullback we have the 2 young Brazillians, with Rafael playing in big games and not looking at all out of place. We have a couple of promising midfielders in Gibson and Possebon, obviously opinions differ on Gibson i'll let time tell. It is up front, where perhaps United have had least success recently developing players that things look best. Obviously it would be premature after just a single great and important goal to predict too much for Macheda but having watched his hat-trick in the reserves against the barcodes a week ago, i can't help but think we have a very special talent on our hands. Welbeck too looks to have everything it would take to be a top striker, think it's 3 top level goals this saeson already from a very young player. I also understand that there is great optimism about some of the players a year or two younger than these, players like Zeiler, James and Petrucci I think this bodes rather well for the club and speaks to a very good youth setup that has benefited from the commitment recently of McClair, Ole, Rene and Ferguson.

I know it might be silly to some extent to expect too much so soon but "Kiko's" goal today made me think it might be a good time to mention a facet of the club that has always held such importance.

Cheers.

Gibson and Possebon, imo, won't make it at United. I was very excited when they first arrived on the scene in the reserves; both commanded midfield, scored goals, and looked a class above. However, reckon Gibson's not quite mobile enough, and doesn't particularly like to get involved.

Possebon, to me, is very one-dimensional. Slow, too. And often very careless. Has quite a lot of potential, but going by the way he's done over the last twelve months, I can't see him making the step-up.

Our three best hopes are Welbeck, Macheda and Morrison, imo. Others such as James and Eckersely have an outside chance, too. Oh, and the twins obviously.

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:47 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Gibson and Possebon, imo, won't make it at United. I was very excited when they first arrived on the scene in the reserves; both commanded midfield, scored goals, and looked a class above. However, reckon Gibson's not quite mobile enough, and doesn't particularly like to get involved.

Possebon, to me, is very one-dimensional. Slow, too. And often very careless. Has quite a lot of potential, but going by the way he's done over the last twelve months, I can't see him making the step-up.

Our three best hopes are Welbeck, Macheda and Morrison, imo. Others such as James and Eckersely have an outside chance, too. Oh, and the twins obviously.
I like Possebon, a lot. He is the type of player that will run a game. I think he should be knocking on the door now, and probably was before that @#%&! Pogatetz's tackle. Very highly rated at OT too. They don't bring players over from Brazil without them having a damn good chance, I wouldn't have thought.

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:49 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
I like Possebon, a lot. He is the type of player that will run a game. I think he should be knocking on the door now, and probably was before that @#%&! Pogatetz's tackle. Very highly rated at OT too. They don't bring players over from Brazil without them having a damn good chance, I wouldn't have thought.
Who knows. From watching him regularly, I just can't see how he's going to make the step-up and fit in. Has nice pieces of play now and then, but he hasn't a whole lot to his game, imo.

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:52 PM
dunk

Quote:
Who knows. From watching him regularly, I just can't see how he's going to make the step-up and fit in. Has nice pieces of play now and then, but he hasn't a whole lot to his game, imo.
Maybe. But I thought similar things about Carrick when he was 20 and everyone was raving about him. Not all players develop in the same manner, I suppose.

I don't think he will be commanding a place in his early 20's like a Fabregas, can see him improving steadily though, like Carrick or Fletcher. He may have to go out on loan.

I'm not a fan of Gibson though. 2 good feet, but far too static.

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:55 PM
shadowplay

Quote:
Maybe. But I thought similar things about Carrick when he was 20 and everyone was raving about him. Not all players develop in the same manner, I suppose.

I don't think he will be commanding a place in his early 20's like a Fabregas, can see him improving steadily though, like Carrick or Fletcher. He may have to go out on loan.

I'm not a fan of Gibson though. 2 good feet, but far too static.

Would love to see Norwood push on and go that extra step in making a name for himself at the club. A tremendous shot, though I suspect he, too, is just lacking a few departments.

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:59 PM
dunk

Quote:
Would love to see Norwood push on and go that extra step in making a name for himself at the club. A tremendous shot, though I suspect he, too, is just lacking a few departments.
Not sure about him. Great dead ball taker, seems to get lost in midfield at times though.

I prefer Tunnicliffe (sp) bit of a hard nut.

Very, very impressed with Matt James (I may have mentioned it before ), he has got a BIG chance.

I've heard a lot about Joshua King as well, I think he is about 16-17, but I have no idea where he is, I've seen him come off the bench for the reserves a few times, no idea where he is now though.

Unread 06-04-2009, 12:04 AM
shadowplay

Quote:
Very, very impressed with Matt James (I may have mentioned it before ), he has got a BIG chance.

I've heard a lot about Joshua King as well, I think he is about 16-17, but I have no idea where he is, I've seen him come off the bench for the reserves a few times, no idea where he is now though.
James is excellent at that level. Hope he can push on again next year.

Joshua, from what I've seen, looks another excellent talent, too. Tall and already very, very powerful. Another decent shout.

Unread 06-04-2009, 12:10 AM
dunk

Quote:
James is excellent at that level. Hope he can push on again next year.

Joshua, from what I've seen, looks another excellent talent, too. Tall and already very, very powerful. Another decent shout.
Is he injured atm?

Unread 06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
shadowplay

Quote:
Is he injured atm?

Not sure, mate.I've Missed the last few games, but not heard owt about him getting injured.

Unread 06-04-2009, 12:16 AM
dunk

Quote:
Not sure, mate.I've Missed the last few games, but not heard owt about him getting injured.
I've watched the reserves and the U18's for the last couple of weeks, seen hide nor hair of him. As long as it's nowt serious.

Unread 06-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up Probably already been said

Edwin van der Sar, Gary Neville, John O'Shea, Patrice Evra, Jonny Evans, Darren Fletcher, Ryan Giggs, Luis Carlos Nani (Federico Macheda, 61), Michael Carrick, Cristiano Ronaldo, Carlos Tevez (Danny Welbeck, 87)

but isn't that 7 lads who have 'come through the ranks' so to speak?

Throw in Ronaldo, who must have been pretty young when he came on and Carrick who is at least a Northerner and we have a heck of a team.

I'm still giddy

Unread 06-04-2009, 12:00 PM
rubbernecker

The boy does it for fun

Unread 06-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Ben

great picture
Closed Thread