United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:17 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbarney
Doesn't bother me in the slightest, it only takes 10 seconds and no one is forced to do it.
I disagree, Imagine the uproar if one player didn't do it.

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:19 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Leave it up to the players as a group to decide the best way forward. Although considering a few of our own young black players have received rank racist abuse over the past couple of week, it may not hurt to carry it on a while longer.

Also don't get why it winds people up so much? I think it's equally funny and sad that it does though. It's literally 5 seconds before a game to highlight the fight against racism. You'd have to have the thinnest of thin skins for that to wind you up ffs
Did they though?

I am sceptical about some of these supposed tweets sent by 'anonymous' users...

It's all part of the campaign to drive home the message imo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
I think they would be applauded like people in other sports have been for not doing it.

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:21 PM
Sparky***

I think they're going to be very shocked if they keep doing this when crowds are allowed back in.

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:23 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Did they though?
Yes
Quote:
I am sceptical about some of these supposed tweets sent by 'anonymous' users...

It's all part of the campaign to drive home the message imo...

And people wonder why players are still taking the knee...

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:24 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Yes

Have you seen the supposed racist DMs Marcus Rashford said he got?

PS - I said 'some' not all.

I have no doubt some of the players get abuse sent to them online.

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:27 PM
Dr Stranger

If they do ditch it, I’ll really miss Anthony Martial thinking it’s the first half whistle and running into the opposition half.

I think he’s done it three times now. The £#%&!ing racist 👎

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:29 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Have you seen the supposed racist DMs Marcus Rashford said he got?

PS - I said 'some' not all.
So because you've not seen them, he must be making it up? Again, it's no wonder black players want to continue taking the knee with people saying absolute shite like this.

Quote:
I have no doubt some of the players get abuse sent to them online.
Quote:
Did they though?

I am sceptical
about some of these supposed tweets...
You're a f***ing idiot.

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:30 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
So because you've not seen them, he must be making it up? Again, it's no wonder black players want to continue taking the knee with people saying absolute shite like this.

You're a £#%&!ing idiot.
You're missing the point.

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:34 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
You're missing the point.
No, I'm really not. You're saying that you think some black players have made up stories about being racially abused. You're saying that with no evidence, and no real motive for someone to do it.

You said players are making up allegations of racial abuse while saying you cringe at players taking a knee against racial abuse that they are receiving.

I understand your point. It's just that it's an idiotic point made by a moron.

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:36 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
No, I'm really not. You're saying that you think some black players have made up stories about being racially abused. You're saying that with no evidence, and no real motive for someone to do it.

You said players are making up allegations of racial abuse while saying you cringe at players taking a knee against racial abuse that they are receiving.

I understand your point. It's just that it's an idiotic point made by a moron.
You are paraphrasing. My quote about cringing was this:

Quote:
It actually makes me cringe watching them, and the ref, do it before every game.

As Zaha said the other day, why should they 'take the knee' (hate that saying, just reminds me of GoT) to show they matter.

It is degrading to be fair...
Black players are now coming out and saying it's degrading. As others have said, it's gone on too long now and is actually causing more division.

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:41 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
You are paraphrasing. My quote about cringing was this:
I'm not sure why you're quoting your post where you say you cringe at players taking the knee is. You said you cringe at players taking the knee, that's what I said you posted, and then you've just quoted it

Quote:
Black players are now coming out and saying it's degrading. As others have said, it's gone on too long now and is actually causing more division.
One player has expressed their opinion on it. Its why I said it should be a decision by the players as group. One players opinion on stopping it matters as much as another players opinion that it should last for a minute before each game.

What divisions has it caused?

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:42 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
I'm not sure why you're quoting your post where you say you cringe at players taking the knee is. You said you cringe at players taking the knee, that's what I said you posted, and then you've just quoted it

One player has expressed their opinion on it. Its why I said it should be a decision by the players as group. One players opinion on stopping it matters as much as another players opinion that it should last for a minute before each game.

What divisions has it caused?
One on this page, at least.

Unread 19-02-2021, 05:43 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
One on this page at least.

Unread 19-02-2021, 06:05 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I think they're going to be very shocked if they keep doing this when crowds are allowed back in.
I’ve seen crowds boo toddlers at half time for missing an open goal from 2 yards, soooo...

Unread 19-02-2021, 06:21 PM
tatty

If the players want to degrade themselves then that is their choice.

I bet it is shit-canned sharpish once the crowds are back in the grounds and making their feelings known about meaningless gesture politics.

If authorities and social media are serious about combatting racism:

1. Automatic lifetime ban from all grounds for anyone caught and prosecuted for racism (at grounds or anywhere else).

2. Nobody allowed on social media unless their identity has been verified.

Sorted.

Unread 19-02-2021, 06:27 PM
Sparky***

I think there's going to be more problems like this moving forward as the people who've tried to create this narrative of some kind of "universal black experience" realise that not all black people think racism should be dealt with in the same way.

And the sad fact is that any black player or person who dares to stray from this idea or step outside the accepted narrative will probably be chastised as some sort of heretic.

Unread 19-02-2021, 07:13 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco
Loads of players across various sports have decided not to do it already, must have missed the uproar

Unread 19-02-2021, 07:17 PM
Pop

There won't be tabloid uproar until a Utd player refuses to do it.

Exclusive: Racist Man Utd captain NAZI shame!!!

Unread 19-02-2021, 07:23 PM
NedKelly

Tbh I think the only impact this whole taking the knee thing will have had is making actual racists double down on their views.

Everyone I know who is into football, is either : partridgeshrug: about the whole thing or thinks it’s a bit cringe. It’s just Twitter virtue signalling that’s leaked into the real world - it helps nothing and is ultimately pointless.

Can just imagine Raymond, 46, from Luton, a lifelong supporter of English nationalist causes and a hardened racist, sitting down to watch the match and drinking in the scene as the players take the knee. “You know what Stacey? Seeing these multi-millionaire footballers kneel for a few seconds has made me contemplate things... I’ve decided I’m going to withdraw my membership from the EDL and I’m going to start paying monthly donations to various charities focussed on providing aid to the black community.”

Unread 19-02-2021, 07:35 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Tbh I think the only impact this whole taking the knee thing will have had is making actual racists double down on their views.

Everyone I know who is into football, is either : partridgeshrug: about the whole thing or thinks it’s a bit cringe. It’s just Twitter virtue signalling that’s leaked into the real world - it helps nothing and is ultimately pointless.

Can just imagine Raymond, 46, from Luton, a lifelong supporter of English nationalist causes and a hardened racist, sitting down to watch the match and drinking in the scene as the players take the knee. “You know what Stacey? Seeing these multi-millionaire footballers kneel for a few seconds has made me contemplate things... I’ve decided I’m going to withdraw my membership from the EDL and I’m going to start paying monthly donations to various charities focussed on providing aid to the black community.”
Alternatively, Raymond having to watch his team take the knee might just give him the big ole brain aneurysm that'll rid the world of one more mouth breathing knuckle dragger.
Closed Thread