United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-11-2007, 12:57 PM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUFC
How anyone dares to try and outcast giggs after all he has done for the club so be ashamed of themselves. He is still a very very good player who adds to the side, I would take a fit giggs over bloody nani every day of the week.
Quote:
I don’t give a toss, Giggs can’t play every game no, but when he does play and is on form there is no one like him, no he doesnt fly past everyone anymore but he still adds a lot to the side. Giggs has been an unbelievable player for the club and deserves more respect than some give him.
Nobody is slagging giggs. As chorley said, you have to use your head. Will you have giggs in the team even at 38 just because he has done so much for us all these years? Everyone has their time. Legends too like keane, robson et al. Giggs and scholes should also have one. Its time to phase them out. Giggs especially as the role he does needs pace and energy. The game has become unbelievably more atheltic and pacy. You can't jog around these days.

Unread 04-11-2007, 01:06 PM
42ndstreet irregular

Quote:
alright, just lay off giggs or i will beat you with a stick.
Ok not another word.

Unread 04-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
i agree on giggs mate . but disagree on tevez some of his hold up play yday was sublime hes a strong £#%&!er ..
Agree. Wasn't much for him or Rooney to work with yesterday. If Fergie wants to play three midfielders in some fixtures - and I don't see much wrong with that tbh - then he could've at least played three central midfielders. We had the players available so slotting Giggs in as one of them didn't make much sense.

I don't ever want to see Giggs sold though. Wouldn't enjoy seeing him play for another club. Still when Park returns in the New Year we'll have four decent options for two spots.

Unread 04-11-2007, 01:17 PM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
The best move of the entire game was the link up between Giggs and Rooney - pure class.

Excellent tactical scheming from United that brought us 3 gilt-edged chances and a few half chances, whilst cutting Arsenal down to desperation tactics on their own pitch. In fairness, they were good enough to find a way to score against us.

Pity about the scrambled goal at the end, and Vidic just getting done for the pull back to Fabregas.

Fair enough result I suppose, but we threw it away with those two soft goals.
I thought one of our goals was soft and we looked generally struggling in that formation. But don't let that get in the way of your discussion super fan.

Unread 04-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Giggs was £#%&!ing gash.

About as useful as a #@&%! flavoured lollipop.

Should be binned ASAP for Nani.

Unread 04-11-2007, 01:18 PM
sharath

Quote:
everyone has poor games, doesnt mean you need to start saying 'this is the end' etc, its not the end.
it should be as a starter at this moment of time.

Unread 04-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharath
Nobody is slagging giggs. As chorley said, you have to use your head. Will you have giggs in the team even at 38 just because he has done so much for us all these years? Everyone has their time. Legends too like keane, robson et al. Giggs and scholes should also have one. Its time to phase them out. Giggs especially as the role he does needs pace and energy. The game has become unbelievably more atheltic and pacy. You can't jog around these days.
Giggs is one of the fittest athletes in sport though, and one of the reasons that football has reached the level it's at now in England. He is still in great shape.

Show me a better football move than the absolute class that was that Giggs Rooney link up from yesterday. Take your time, you'll need it.

Unread 04-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharath
I thought one of our goals was soft and we looked generally struggling in that formation. But don't let that get in the way of your discussion super fan.
I think you're wrong. Both our goals were excellent moves straight off the training ground. But you carry on pretending you aren't. While you're doing that, and after taking a closer look at the move I was talking about, check out Giggs' position and movement on the 2nd goal, inside the last 10 minutes. It may not overly impress you. But it should be instructive when you next come to talking about Giggs' contribution to the team, and to United's varied use of tactics and formations.

Unread 04-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Giggs is one of the fittest athletes in sport though, and one of the reasons that football has reached the level it's at now in England. He is still in great shape.

Show me a better football move than the absolute class that was that Giggs Rooney link up from yesterday. Take your time, you'll need it.
I like you as a poster TT. But you can't deny that often Evra was isolated 2 against 1 at full back and very often looked our most potent attacking threat from the left? How on earth does that happen?

Unread 04-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
I like you as a poster TT. But you can't deny that often Evra was isolated 2 against 1 at full back and very often looked our most potent attacking threat from the left? How on earth does that happen?
Sometimes you have to give something to get something back I suppose.

Don't recall Arsenal creating very much at all down either flank tbh.

We used the low ball into the box very well at times yesterday. Brown was instrumental in our opener, and we ripped their entire defence and midfield to tatters for the second with fantastic movement all across the front of the team.

There was also that Rooney Giggs combo that tore them apart through the centre in between times which I'm still drooling over.

Arsenal's best - and possibly only - chances both ended up in the net but can't see how either of them were down to a lack of cover for the excellent Evra

Unread 04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Fatboy Shrek

I didn't say he was at fault for the goals, merely that he left Evra exposed (which could have been a problem on a different day). That move was good, but it wasn't that good. We'll have umpteen better moves this season (e.g the second goal).

Unread 04-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
I didn't say he was at fault for the goals, merely that he left Evra exposed (which could have been a problem on a different day). That move was good, but it wasn't that good. We'll have umpteen better moves this season (e.g the second goal).
I thought it was brilliant and showed how easily a top class move can rip Arsenal open.

On Evra I'm not sure that it wasn't the right tactics tbh. Arsenal were severely limited in the number of times they got down the edges of our box, whereas we were still able to free Evra on the underlap for what might have been the winner. We used Rooney to stretch their defence which many still don't agree with. But he knows the position so well now that he was still able to get across the near post at the right moments, and he could still link up with Giggs to (almost) deadly effect through the middle. Ronaldo also got across the near post for the second. All in all I was happy with United's movement yesterday, though our possession especially when intercepting as Arsenal entered the last third needed to be better. What say you?

Unread 04-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Part 36 Offer

Thumbs up

Quote:
I would take a fit giggs over bloody nani every day of the week.

Giggs is still one of our most important players.

Tactically and technically there are very few better than him in world football.

Unread 04-11-2007, 03:33 PM
TreeFiddy

Giggs really wasn't that bad yesterday. He's not looked good this season, but he can still be a very important player for us if he's used sparingly. Nani will get to play a lot of games this season, but so far I wouldn't say he's a considerably better option than Giggs. Not yet anyway.

Unread 04-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Giggs really wasn't that bad yesterday. He's not looked good this season, but he can still be a very important player for us if he's used sparingly. Nani will get to play a lot of games this season, but so far I wouldn't say he's a considerably better option than Giggs. Not yet anyway.
totally agree with what you have written in this post.

Unread 04-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Tiberian

Giggs was good in the first half yesterday, second half not so good, a few sloppy passes, but he was still the player who was getting the ball to Rooney and Tevez in good areas.

His inconsistent passing makes him an easy scapegoat, but what you have to remember is that Giggs looks for the killer pass more often than any other player in our team so it is inevitable that he will give the ball away. Still creates more openings than anyone else, that is not just opinion, Opta stats would show that his key passes are the highest in the team.

He is not the player he was, but he is still a highly talented and skilled operator capable of great moments.

Nani and Anderson with Hargreaves, 3 new players at a place like Arsenal in the key midfield area would have been a big call.

Unread 04-11-2007, 04:08 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
an easy scapegoat
That's exactly what he's become.

Valid criticism of Giggs is fine as with any player. But when the same people keep blaming Giggs every time we drop points you have to think it's getting unfair and it's not the way a legend like Giggs should be treated.

I'm not asking anyone to ignore his poor performances and pretend he's still at his peak. I don't want Giggs to go on playing indefinitely to the detriment of the team. Just stop targeting him as a scapegoat when things don't go our way. It's pathetic and embarrassing.

Unread 04-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Ed Sullivan

Thumbs up

Quote:

Valid criticism of Giggs is fine as with any player. But when the same people keep blaming Giggs every time we drop points you have to think it's getting unfair and it's not the way a legend like Giggs should be treated.

I'm not asking anyone to ignore his poor performances and pretend he's still at his peak. I don't want Giggs to go on playing indefinitely to the detriment of the team. Just stop targeting him as a scapegoat when things don't go our way. It's pathetic and embarrassing.
totally agree with what you have written in this post as well.

Unread 04-11-2007, 04:11 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo (no capital at the start)
totally agree with what you have written in this post as well.
Shall I quit at 2 out of 2 or go for the hat trick?

Unread 05-11-2007, 06:49 AM
sharath

Quote:

how was the performance of giggs yesterday? I thought it was shambolic and nothing else. Didn't offer the team anything tbh. I am talking only about yesterdays performance btw as you wanted.
Closed Thread