United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
he should have been the best player in the world. he is/was in my eyes but the thing with scholes id he's a thinking mans footballer,a purist and a craftsman. players like nedved and zidane will always get the vote because they are more obvious.

nedved has sid countless times that scholes was his idol. i bet zz has a soft spot too.
it's impossible not to read that in a south african accent.

Unread 28-07-2008, 11:59 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Default The thinking mans ginger @#%&!

finest footballer of his generation. thats it

Unread 28-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
That must have been some foresight considering in his first couple of full seasons im sure he wore 25 or 28....
He did have 22 on at first, although the first time I saw him play was the Port Vale league cup game ('4-1, to the youth team' was the song) when half the kids first announced themselves, was the wife's first game. That was in 1994 and probably where I confused myself, I waxed lyrical about the ginger fella (even after the penalty miss) to anyone who would listen. Having looked at the shirt it appears to have been from '96 or '97 (the blue one with the badge in the middle, I saw a picture of Poborsky in it), so obviously I didn't get it quite as early as I thought.

I blame the beer. Don't do it, kids.

Unread 28-07-2008, 01:43 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafty Crank
He did have 22 on at first, although the first time I saw him play was the Port Vale league cup game ('4-1, to the youth team' was the song) when half the kids first announced themselves, was the wife's first game. That was in 1994 and probably where I confused myself, I waxed lyrical about the ginger fella (even after the penalty miss) to anyone who would listen. Having looked at the shirt it appears to have been from '96 or '97 (the blue one with the badge in the middle, I saw a picture of Poborsky in it), so obviously I didn't get it quite as early as I thought.

I remember that 3-2 game well. You must have looked a @#%&! singing 4-1

Unread 28-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default 2-1 surely

choccy is their teacher

Unread 28-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
I remember that 3-2 game well. You must have looked a @#%&! singing 4-1
It was 2-0. Added to the 2-1 lead from the first leg, and.....

Unread 28-07-2008, 04:33 PM
elephantstone

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Great player but his legacy will always be tarnished from being stalked by puressence.
agreed

Unread 28-07-2008, 04:36 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
agreed
at lleast my footballing mates still talk to me

Unread 28-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafty Crank

ah yes - 96-97 time, what a podgy £#%&!er Scholesy was then!

Unread 28-07-2008, 04:44 PM
puressence

ps we beat vale away 2 nil .then got beat at newcastle 2 nil in the next leg ..

scholesy bagged both on his debutat vale .one header and one in the bottom left hand corner if memeory serves me well

Unread 28-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Tumescent Throb

it was 2-1 at Vale. ffs.

the kids did very well at newcastle as well; didn't make many chances and eventually just got out-powered. still managed to live with Keegan's 1st team for over an hour though.

Unread 28-07-2008, 04:52 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Default The barca away

when he looked about 9 and his shorts were to big - with most of the 1st team watching from the stand

Unread 28-07-2008, 04:54 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
it was 2-1 at Vale. ffs.

the kids did very well at newcastle as well; didn't make many chances and eventually just got out-powered. still managed to live with Keegan's 1st team for over an hour though.
yeah newcastle bagged 2 goals in the last ten minutes

Unread 28-07-2008, 04:56 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
I don't think he was the best player in the world

But he could easily have ran Barca's midfield
why didnt he do it at the nou camp or ot last season

Unread 28-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
why didnt he do it at the nou camp or ot last season
bore off £#%&!wit

Unread 28-07-2008, 05:12 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Default Marlo tests positve for utter £#%&!wittery

now theres a surprise

Unread 28-07-2008, 05:13 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
bore off £#%&!wit
valid question.

cant understand why paul scholes' midfield has 20% possesion at the nou camp.

Unread 28-07-2008, 05:18 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Default Two things marlo you clout

Theres a bit more to football then sky tv stats and why i enter a discussion with a no nowt ott like you still bewiders me

Unread 28-07-2008, 05:21 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Theres a bit more to football then sky tv stats and why i enter a discussion with a no nowt ott like you still bewiders me
sky stats aside, did we look like we had a competant midfield at the nou camp?

Unread 28-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Tumescent Throb

last season United drew nil-nil twice

barcelona drew nil-nil 7 times (I checked)

United beat barcelona 1-0 on our way to lifting the European Cup

the United team had both the best defensive and the best attacking records in the premiership

the United team had the best defensive and the best attacking records in the European Cup knock-out stages

for a £#%&!wit to harp on and on about one of those two 0-0 draws, albeit one that effectively knocked barcelona out of europe, as if it was the defining performance of United's superb 07/08 season is the clear mark of the £#%&!wit in question
Closed Thread