United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Grimson

I would not have enjoyed that as a player. The only time that would be warranted is if there were players clearly not putting in the effort, and even then, you're humiliating everyone else at the same time.

As a fan though, I don't mind it. Makes a change at least.

Still the oddest thing I've seen at halftime is when Neville Southall refused to leave the pitch, and sat with his back against a post.

Unread 27-12-2008, 12:59 AM
irk

i don't think you should ever wash your dirty linen in public. that kind of thing just reeks of populism. %@#$&! them by all means in private, but public humiliation will just breed resentment. short sighted and will come back to haunt him.

Unread 27-12-2008, 02:18 AM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I would not have enjoyed that as a player. The only time that would be warranted is if there were players clearly not putting in the effort, and even then, you're humiliating everyone else at the same time.

As a fan though, I don't mind it. Makes a change at least.

Still the oddest thing I've seen at halftime is when Neville Southall refused to leave the pitch, and sat with his back against a post.
i think that was his point though. the fans should come first and the players should show them they give a shit. interviews produce nothing. just the same old tried and tested responses.

Unread 27-12-2008, 03:18 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
i think that was his point though. the fans should come first and the players should show them they give a shit. interviews produce nothing. just the same old tried and tested responses.
I don't disagree, but it was largely a symbolic gesture that may cause him more problems than it was worth. Depends on how his players respond to it.

Unread 27-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Elsey

Phil Brown is full of it.

His ego is out of control. He needs to stop thinking he is cool and stop wearing that shit leather jacket on the touchline. Get some class man!

Unread 27-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsey
Phil Brown is full of it.

His ego is out of control. He needs to stop thinking he is cool and stop wearing that shit leather jacket on the touchline. Get some class man!
he needs to take his britney spears £#%&!ing headset off. Just who the £#%&! is he talking to on that thing anyway?

Unread 27-12-2008, 02:04 PM
The Return of JC

I don't think 'apologising' to the fans is ever a good idea. It suggests you're answerable to the fans to the point where it affects your managerial approach. I'd understand it more if they were rock bottom and awful, but they've been overachieving this season. No apology is necessary. Surely freaking out at 1 half time scoreline is a failure to see the bigger picture of your team's efforts.

Unread 27-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Argentina

Apologising to the fans is a bit 'oooh, look at me'.

As for washing dirty linen in public. As for washing his dirty linen in public, he's not come out in the press and said such and named names. The press don't know what he's said to each player so that's shouldn't be, and won't be, the case.
I think if problems come now, then it won't be that incident in isolation.

Unread 27-12-2008, 02:17 PM
borsuk

hull have been slipping for a few games, though, and there has been a lot less intensity in their play.

it's easy to have a go at somebody who does something out of the ordinary but none of us know what he's tried behind closed doors. it might be that he promised the players that he'd do this if they didn't get their fingers out. who knows? ultimately the test will be how they perform in the second half of the season - probably falling from where they are, because they've been punching well about their weight so far - and whether he maintains the respect of the players.

it was all a bit teeth-gnashing and breaking-point - hardly looking like he's in control of the situation. but it would be easy for him to take the attitude that the 6th place they were in was more than they deserve and that they were bound to fall but it would still be a successful season etc. instead he seems, in his manic way, to think that there's no reason hull can't compete with anyone. good attitude, that - better than keane's 'our first goal is survival', imho.
Closed Thread