United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-12-2008, 01:34 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Ive seen nothing in Evans that makes me think he will push Vidic for his place in the next 18 months....

how come is so highly rated by bedders and others ?
Because possibly we've seen summat that you haven't or we're wrong.

Unread 22-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Because possibly we've seen summat that you haven't or we're wrong.
ok.

thanks for the reply.

merry christEvansmas

Unread 22-12-2008, 01:39 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
ok.

thanks for the reply.

merry christEvansmas

You too.

For me he has the physique of a top centre back allied to good toughness and pace but has a certain class and positional sense that i think may elevate him to a level of someone like Rio. I think the games he's played this season have shown that he is already prepared to play for United and that his time on loan at Sunderland was well worthwhile. Good a player as Vidic is i think Evans has that little bit mnore that will eventually make him a top, top player, possibly a great player.

Unread 22-12-2008, 01:40 PM
utd for ever

Quote:
I think he has a very good chance of forcing his way into our defence ahead of Vidic within 18 months.
Only a clown will be daft enough to think that way...

Unread 22-12-2008, 01:42 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd for ever
Only a clown will be daft enough to think that way...
an opinion you are entitled to i s'pose, though I think it's stupidly blinkered. You may not think he will but I know a few people who work outside the performing circus arts who agree with me.

Unread 22-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Bunker Buster

[SIZE="6"]Play Evans

Unread 22-12-2008, 01:45 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
[SIZE="6"]Play Evans

Unread 22-12-2008, 02:11 PM
borsuk

evans would already be a first team regular almost anywhere else - he'd walk into liverpool's, chelsea's (ahead of alex) or arsenal's back four, for example, imho. he's rapidly become a mainstay of the irish side and i can't think of any higher praise than saying that he is able to cover for either of our centre halves without any problems. to be perfectly honest, it's only the fact that we have what i would say is the best cb pairing in world football that keeps him on the bench. if he maintains the rate of improvement he's shown over the last 18 months he'll be pushing them very hard pretty soon.

Unread 22-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Albert Tatlock

Evans > Brown > O'Shea

Unread 22-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Baron

chatting in the boozer last night I mentioned in passing I could see the day (probably when he's just had a new kitchen installed) that I wake up & find Vidic has been sold to a dodgy Italian team for £20m

Unread 22-12-2008, 02:38 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
chatting in the boozer last night I mentioned in passing I could see the day (probably when he's just had a new kitchen installed) that I wake up & find Vidic has been sold to a dodgy Italian team for £20m
It's a tricky one. If Vidic were to lose his place, with him being the age he is, he'd probably not hang around for long. Which would leave us short in that position.

Also, if Evans were to develop into an even better centre half than Vidic, there's no certainty that as a partnership with Rio it would be an improvement on what we already have now.

Interesting to see how it all pans out. Certainly no worries regarding Evans filling in for Vidic against Inter.

Unread 22-12-2008, 02:40 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
It's a tricky one. If Vidic were to lose his place, with him being the age he is, he'd probably not hang around for long. Which would leave us short in that position.

Also, if Evans were to develop into an even better centre half than Vidic, there's no certainty that as a partnership with Rio it would be an improvement on what we already have now.

Interesting to see how it all pans out. Certainly no worries regarding Evans filling in for Vidic against Inter.
All true but it isn't madness or "clownish" to suggest it as a [possibility given Evans ability. All it'd take is an injury or loss of form dsimilar to that Vidic had early in the season and you just don't know, Evans could grab it with both hands.

Unread 22-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
It's a tricky one. If Vidic were to lose his place, with him being the age he is, he'd probably not hang around for long. Which would leave us short in that position...
Why ?

Why is that every player who doesn't get a guarenteed first team place will piss off at the first opportunity ?

We are the English, the European and the World Champions... why would anyone leave just because they lost their guarenteed place to someone else ? Why not fight to get it back ?

Unread 22-12-2008, 02:50 PM
poppy

Quote:
All true but it isn't madness or "clownish" to suggest it as a [possibility given Evans ability. All it'd take is an injury or loss of form dsimilar to that Vidic had early in the season and you just don't know, Evans could grab it with both hands.
Agreed.

Plus if you look at some great centre backs down the years, a lot were nowhere near the first team at this level at such an age.

Buchan was almost 23 when we signed him. Hansen a similar age at Liverpool, where he spent a year flitting between the reserves and first team. McGrath was probably an even later developer. I think he was mid 20s before his first cap.

Unread 22-12-2008, 02:50 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
the fa are looking to increase Evra's ban as a result of Vidic's indiscretion.

Unread 22-12-2008, 02:51 PM
antonin jablonsky

As an aside, what chance us signing Paul Robinson off WBA in Jan as backup to Evra. He could make us feel good.

Unread 22-12-2008, 02:53 PM
poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
Why ?

Why is that every player who doesn't get a guarenteed first team place will piss off at the first opportunity ?

We are the English, the European and the World Champions... why would anyone leave just because they lost their guarenteed place to someone else ? Why not fight to get it back ?
I'm not saying he'd piss off at the first opportunity or that he'd not fight to reclaim his place.

I'm saying if he were to lose his place to an outstanding 20 year old, had a year on the bench with no sign of getting back in, with him being late 20s, he'd probably look elsewhere.
Closed Thread