United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
The friendly was in 1988 and I could have sworn it was 4-2 to Meeeeelan.
Pretty certain it was 3-2. If I remember correctly they £#%&!ing battered us 1st half and took their foot off the gas 2nd half and gave us a little dignity.

Also Gullit didn't respond to the "Ruudy, give us a wave" chants.

Unread 09-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos
Pretty certain it was 3-2. If I remember correctly they £#%&!ing battered us 1st half and took their foot off the gas 2nd half and gave us a little dignity.

Also Gullit didn't respond to the "Ruudy, give us a wave" chants.
I bet he would now.

Top Red.

Unread 09-03-2009, 11:54 PM
BulgarianSpectator

Cruyff's stlye is identical to Best. If only George had stayed off the booze..

There's a great story about best coming back to play for N. Ireland for one last game against Holland. Cruyff was at his peak at that time, and Best could have been but was well past it.

George watched Cruyff pick up the ball, ghost past the Ulster midfield and defenders, then just at Cruyff was shaping to shoot, Best just stepped in, picked the ball out from Cruyff's feet, and waltzed past the Dutch team in the same manner Cruyff had just done. Best only managed part of the game, but showed everyone who was watching what they were missing.

Unread 10-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Barksdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Definitely remember it being 3-2. Sure McGrath scored too, barrelling through their entire defence.
I was there too.

I'm pretty sure they waltzed into a 3-0 lead - and could have scored as many as they wanted but took pity on us and allowed us to score two.

Agree re: the McGrath comment too....we were totally outclassed.

Unread 10-03-2009, 11:48 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
YouTube - Marco Van Basten compilation

World record would be smashed, surely?

The standard of strikers at the moment.
Players are only worth what people are prepared to pay for them and you cannot judge how one player from one era would stand up in another era. So all in all its a silly question.

Unread 10-03-2009, 12:04 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

The Dutch side of the late 80s/early 90s is easily the best international side I’ve seen. Also my favourite non United team. Gullit, Koeman, Rijkaard, van Basten and a young Bergkamp. I remember them absolutely £#%&!ing Germany 3-1 at Euro 92…then somehow managed to get knocked out by Denmark

Van Bastens goal in ’88 final still amazes me now. What a £#%&!ing goal.

Unread 10-03-2009, 12:15 PM
red @rmy

Best opposition striker I've seen at Old Trafford is Batistuta, without doubt.

Unread 10-03-2009, 12:17 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
Best opposition striker I've seen at Old Trafford is Batistuta, without doubt.
he could certainly hit a ball. to be honest for me it'd probbly be Ronaldo the night he got a hat-trick and a standing ovation.

Unread 10-03-2009, 12:19 PM
ONESMARTBADGER

He'd be worth £#%&! all in today's market ........ both his ankles are £#%&!ed

Unread 10-03-2009, 12:21 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONESMARTBADGER
He'd be worth £#%&! all in today's market ........ both his ankles are £#%&!ed
Didn't one of them originally belong to somebody else?

Unread 10-03-2009, 12:27 PM
ONESMARTBADGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Didn't one of them originally belong to somebody else?
I believe so ........ they did everything to save his career.

Unread 10-03-2009, 12:29 PM
ONESMARTBADGER

Quote:
he could certainly hit a ball. to be honest for me it'd probbly be Ronaldo the night he got a hat-trick and a standing ovation.
Carsten Jancker for me ........ poise, grace , two great feet , lethal in the air , and good first touch for a big man

Unread 10-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Baron

van Basten was obscenely good. Some of these are ridiculous - the Ajax goal 1m 20s in....

Unread 10-03-2009, 12:35 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONESMARTBADGER
Carsten Jancker for me ........ poise, grace , two great feet , lethal in the air , and good first touch for a big man
I must say I was never blessed enough to see Mickey Quinn at Old trafford. Fastest player ever over a foot he assured the world. He was just a letter out.

Unread 10-03-2009, 12:41 PM
dodger

Quote:
I must say I was never blessed enough to see Mickey Quinn at Old trafford. Fastest player ever over a foot he assured the world. He was just a letter out.
You obviously never saw Jens Jeremies either...

Unread 10-03-2009, 01:00 PM
ONESMARTBADGER

Quote:
What was it they called him...... Sumo ?

The best darts player never to win the world championships

Unread 10-03-2009, 01:04 PM
ONESMARTBADGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
You obviously never saw Jens Jeremies either...
I was actually trying to remember his name recently , discussion was crap German midfielders of the 90's. Long scraggly hair always chasing Keane's shadow trying to stick the boot in. Retired during the summer I think (black armband time....legend)

Unread 10-03-2009, 01:11 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
It still gripes me that night. For me, Barthez should have stopped 2 of Ronaldo's goals. Barthez really did let in some soft goals for United.

Unread 10-03-2009, 01:44 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
It still gripes me that night. For me, Barthez should have stopped 2 of Ronaldo's goals. Barthez really did let in some soft goals for United.
Yup, fantastic in his first season I thought, then downhill every week after. Shoulda saved the one in the bottom corner and the one that went through his head.

Unread 10-03-2009, 01:56 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I'll never forgive the little £#%&!er for Leverkusen, lobbed standing on your goal line ffs. :shakehead: he looked like a little kid in the goal that night, a bald, ugly little kid.
Closed Thread