United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-03-2009, 11:14 PM
BulgarianSpectator

The "magic" of the FA cup was for me, and most other kids growing up before 1992, was that it was one of the few games that was shown live on TV. I can remember the whole TV thing starting on final day at 9:00am. We even had the school show bring out the mythical video player so we could watch the match again on an extended lunchtime in '82 / '83.

Looking back, watching football on TV usually went as far as the "Big Match" with Brian Moore - where you'd get maybe 5 minutes of highlights of a London club playing someone else, maybe as far North as Luton. MoTD with Jimmy Hill wasn't much better as most of the programme was dedicated to Jimmy Hill. Yet unbelievebly, if you couldn't get to a game, staying up late in your pyjamas on a Saturday night was the best bit of a weekend. So having a whole day dedicated to a game was £#%&!ing brilliant.

Now every match is live somehow or somewhere. There's no magic to any game. There'd definately no magic to a game that consists of one lowly team of journeymen hoofers (e.g. Burnley) playing a bunch of Africans (e.g. Arsenal) that have no affinity with the club they play for, or even the country they play in.

Maybe we've been spoilt with 15 years of (almost) non-stop success. Maybe the FA Cup was more magical in the 1980s as United hadn't won anything else for over a decade. Maybe then for the likes of Burnley there's still a dream to be had, and for them, a day out at Wembley is a dream come true and not seen as a waste of time and money.

Unread 07-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Bunker Buster

TV killed Football.

A long, long, long time ago...

Unread 08-03-2009, 01:43 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
TV killed Football.

agreed.

and i'm not going to the semi-final at wembley either. in fact i'd have to give serious thought to even attending the final if we get there.

the whole final experience at wembley is £#%&!ing shit. london is £#%&!ing shit, the stadium is £#%&!ing shit, it's too dear, the police are dicks, the stewards are dicks, it's a soulless bowl, and it's impossible to generate an atmosphere especially with that middle tier of corporate @#%&!erblasts.

Unread 08-03-2009, 02:01 PM
believe

I remember regardless of who played in the final, Cup final day was always a big event. I remember having impromptu family parties watching the build up of the game. Watching the teams in their hotels, playing games and realxing before what was the biggest game of the season. It's so £#%&!ing sad that young kids today will never enjoy the memories of cup final day.

The semi at wembley will be full of marlos and thats the problem. It's not the jester har wearers that make it so cringeworthy. Its the marlos of the world who will talk for weeks before the game about the fact they are going and that they are the toppest of reds. Again what is saddest is the fact that young reds will never have the memories of the semi final. Arsenal in 99, Oldham in 90 etc will be some of the greatest memories I will cherish as a United supporter but unfortunately these days are long long gone.

Unread 08-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
TV killed Football.

you mean their customers did

Unread 08-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Hopskipjump

I remember (way back when) when watching the cup final on TV was a highlight, they used to do an'It's a knockout' and the build up was always exciting, me and my brothers used to save sweets and chocolate for a few weeks before to have when the game was on.....

Unread 08-03-2009, 02:29 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopskipjump
I remember (way back when) when watching the cup final on TV was a highlight, they used to do an'It's a knockout' and the build up was always exciting, me and my brothers used to save sweets and chocolate for a few weeks before to have when the game was on.....
i bet the plague was a £#%&!ing bitch.

Unread 08-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgarianSpectator
The "magic" of the FA cup was for me, and most other kids growing up before 1992, was that it was one of the few games that was shown live on TV. I can remember the whole TV thing starting on final day at 9:00am. We even had the school show bring out the mythical video player so we could watch the match again on an extended lunchtime in '82 / '83.

Looking back, watching football on TV usually went as far as the "Big Match" with Brian Moore - where you'd get maybe 5 minutes of highlights of a London club playing someone else, maybe as far North as Luton. MoTD with Jimmy Hill wasn't much better as most of the programme was dedicated to Jimmy Hill. Yet unbelievebly, if you couldn't get to a game, staying up late in your pyjamas on a Saturday night was the best bit of a weekend. So having a whole day dedicated to a game was £#%&!ing brilliant.

Now every match is live somehow or somewhere. There's no magic to any game. There'd definately no magic to a game that consists of one lowly team of journeymen hoofers (e.g. Burnley) playing a bunch of Africans (e.g. Arsenal) that have no affinity with the club they play for, or even the country they play in.

Maybe we've been spoilt with 15 years of (almost) non-stop success. Maybe the FA Cup was more magical in the 1980s as United hadn't won anything else for over a decade. Maybe then for the likes of Burnley there's still a dream to be had, and for them, a day out at Wembley is a dream come true and not seen as a waste of time and money.
A very valid point and well made.

Unread 08-03-2009, 02:58 PM
carlosartorial

No way I'm going. I could barely our muster any enthusiasm for last weekend, so they can £#%&! right off for a semi-final.

Unread 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
No way I'm going. I could barely our muster any enthusiasm for last weekend, so they can £#%&! right off for a semi-final.
Too right. If the FA want to know who "killed" the FA cup, they need look no further than themselves.

Unread 08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
no no no it was United who devalued the Cup remember
oh yeah I forgot, they are just heating the balls up as we speak

Unread 08-03-2009, 07:53 PM
wiganste

And there we go. A waste of every £#%&!ers time.

Unread 08-03-2009, 07:56 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
£#%&! it am just gonna go to Villa Park

Unread 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM
elephantstone

agreed, 2 North West teams having to hoof it down South in the biggest economic downturn since the 30's. £#%&!em I am not going......everyone round to mine

Unread 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
A £#%&!ing shame.

I know if it wasn't at Wembley they'd probably have had it at Villa Park, but who knows, maybe it could've been at Anfield... 20,000 Reds going through Miseryside... oh well.

Unread 08-03-2009, 08:03 PM
wiganste

It should be at the COMS or Anfield.

Unread 08-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Billy Bigbollox

I'm gonna redecorate my front room and put a turnstile in and invite all my mates round to watch it on my new plasma

Unread 08-03-2009, 08:05 PM
mark o

We should all meet up in a boozer near Anfield and watch it in there instead.

[SIZE="1"]Although I am still considering going.

Unread 08-03-2009, 08:05 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
It should be at the COMS or Anfield.
Villa Park

or Hillsborough.....that's what that @#%&! Collymore said on Talkshite yesterday

Unread 08-03-2009, 08:06 PM
neworder

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I remember regardless of who played in the final, Cup final day was always a big event. I remember having impromptu family parties watching the build up of the game. Watching the teams in their hotels, playing games and realxing before what was the biggest game of the season. It's so £#%&!ing sad that young kids today will never enjoy the memories of cup final day.

The semi at wembley will be full of marlos and thats the problem. It's not the jester har wearers that make it so cringeworthy. Its the marlos of the world who will talk for weeks before the game about the fact they are going and that they are the toppest of reds. Again what is saddest is the fact that young reds will never have the memories of the semi final. Arsenal in 99, Oldham in 90 etc will be some of the greatest memories I will cherish as a United supporter but unfortunately these days are long long gone.
what a superb post

I remember when it was a big event too. Highlight of my year no matter who was playing. As you said, the players in the hotel etc, all the build up in Match mag or Shoot the week before

Now too many people couldnt give a £#%&! whether or not we win the FA cup but I for one do

I take great pride in the fact that we have won that trophy 11 times. From Sandy Turnbull to Busbys first trophy at united to erics goal vs Liverpool right up to when we beat Millwall

The FA Cup has always meant something to me but the FA are ripping the soul right out of it
Closed Thread