United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Whalefish

A very good manager once said the modern game is now a squad game. But I am still hearing from lesser mortals that it should be the same XI week in week out and god help us if player x, y or z starts. I'm confused. The former really seems to know what he's doing whilst the latter seems to be proven wrong each week.

Thank christ we have such a good squad.

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:02 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
doubtb that even entered Fulham's minds tbh

3-0 eh. yeah and
Not really getting you?

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Didn't Scholes rip that Fulham team to shreds a coupla weeks back?
Yes. Ronnie and Berbie also had good games as I remember.

I wasn't being serious btw, I think it's daft to draw conclusions like 'we play better without...' based on one game. Just can't for the life of me understand why Wonky is making out like Ronnie was the only regular missing today.

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:04 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedthemull
His nickname has got to be : is he
izi

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
A very good manager once said the modern game is now a squad game. But I am still hearing from lesser mortals that it should be the same XI week in week out and god help us if player x, y or z starts. I'm confused. The former really seems to know what he's doing whilst the latter seems to be proven wrong each week.

indeed

there aren't many that we have now that i worry about

evans coming in at centre back, fletch and parkingtons stepping up, 3 top attackers, big andy looking a bit more like the player we thought he would be, foster in goal

compared to past years the depth has true quality

i still retain the right to feel genuine fear when i hera o'sheas name on the teamsheet!

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:07 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Yes. Ronnie and Berbie also had good games as I remember.

I wasn't being serious btw, I think it's daft to draw conclusions like 'we play better without...' based on one game. Just can't for the life of me understand why Wonky is making out like Ronnie was the only regular missing today.
I thought you weren't being serious and agree that drawing conclusions on the basis of one game isn't entirely sensible. Thought we were excellent in Milan but wouldn't say we are better without Rooney for example. In the end as Whalers suggests, it's a squad game and todays performance shows our depth.

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:12 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
izi
Izi it is, well done Wonky, I likes it.

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:19 PM
dinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish

A squad of players stepping in and out of positions is definitely the way football is going these days and I thank God we've pushed further than anyone else in England or Europe in doing so, Chelsea, the scouse etc. would love to be able to do it but can't because thier squads are saturated with mediocrity. Look at the teams who are considered the next level down from the big four, Villa, Everton and whatever else shit qualifies for the UEFA cup it's like the kiss of death they don't want to play first teamers because of worrying about league positions, same goes for the League cup and to a certain extent the FA cup, relegation threatened teams will gladly send a team of half reserves half first XI and risk going out because the league positions are so important, we (by that I mean Fergie) are streets ahead of all rivals again, kids are coming into the team and because they are constantly with the first team our style of play is uninterrupted, everybody in the squad knows his job if called upon and if a second choice player or kid is brought in it doesn't effect the rest of the team because they confident that they are being educated right in the way we play, roll on world domination.

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:29 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedthemull
Izi it is, well done Wonky, I likes it.
thank you, you mean

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:31 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
thank you, you mean
I'm not mean, honest, just a skint member

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Argentina

Alot of respect for Hodgson. Done a very good job there and to be honest, if United hadn't been on their game, Fulham would have run that very close, maybe even nicking it in 'one of those games'.

United just had more class. Everywhere. Vidic in defence. Anderson, Carrick's passing. Park, Evra, Rooney and Tevez carrying the ball forward, and great forward play from Tev and Rooney plus great finishing. Any one or two of those weren't there and the game and possibly the result is very different.

One thing that might work in our favour is that it did happen without Ronaldo. His ego might be bruised that our best performance in a while came without him and want to really put in a shift on wednesday.

Unread 08-03-2009, 05:49 AM
marlo

mr swagger is back thats the reason.

Unread 08-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Stone Monkey

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Alot of respect for Hodgson. Done a very good job there and to be honest, if United hadn't been on their game, Fulham would have run that very close, maybe even nicking it in 'one of those games'.

United just had more class. Everywhere. Vidic in defence. Anderson, Carrick's passing. Park, Evra, Rooney and Tevez carrying the ball forward, and great forward play from Tev and Rooney plus great finishing. Any one or two of those weren't there and the game and possibly the result is very different.

One thing that might work in our favour is that it did happen without Ronaldo. His ego might be bruised that our best performance in a while came without him and want to really put in a shift on wednesday.
Great post.

Unread 08-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Monkey
Great post.
Always rated your judgement

Unread 08-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Sparky***

Enjoy it before it gets removed..

Unread 08-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Rhodzy