United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-11-2007, 03:33 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
bnp boy shows his true colours...
Yea. Bet it doesn't stop him celebrating when one of our mixed race players scores though

Unread 29-11-2007, 03:36 PM
MUFC One Love

Cantona arguably made the modern day United. The swagger, character - the best. He is a god and my idol. He was a top class footballer who was unique the way he moved with the ball and he was one of the most important players off the pitch in terms of what he made the club.

Ronaldo will never be Cantona. Yes he has some tricks and is a very good player but he doesn't match Cantona in anything imo. (I'm not gonna go into how I think this season he should get back to what he does best like he was doing last season destroying everyone, seems to be playing within himself again).

Unread 29-11-2007, 03:40 PM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
soccer?

out of curiosity- which ones are these...
sarcasm mate...

I have been to europe probably a couple of times... that too while on journey from us to india. Neither do I have that much time nor money just to spend on going to the football match...

I have been to one oor two stadiums in US and one in india thats all..

Unread 29-11-2007, 03:41 PM
MJ Ramone

Look, nobody thinks more highly of Ronaldo's brilliance than I do, but he isn't at Cantona's level.
He has all the 'skill' in the world, A fantastic shot on him & he's good in the air.
What makes him fall short (at this moment in time) from being a truly great player is his lack of awareness & appreciation of team-mates.
Something all the great players must have.

I wasn't impressd with his celebration the other night at all...It was more 'Henry' than Eric.

Unread 29-11-2007, 03:42 PM
puressence

tbh .at the current rate ronaldo will be 20 times the player eric was ...

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:06 PM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Look, nobody thinks more highly of Ronaldo's brilliance than I do, but he isn't at Cantona's level.
He has all the 'skill' in the world, A fantastic shot on him & he's good in the air.
What makes him fall short (at this moment in time) from being a truly great player is his lack of awareness & appreciation of team-mates.
Something all the great players must have.

I wasn't impressd with his celebration the other night at all...It was more 'Henry' than Eric.
I did like to see what was Eric at 22 years old? And will Ronaldo ever miss matches for us/portugal/or any other team he will moe ( if he does ) like cantona did...

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:09 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharath
I did like to see what was Eric at 22 years old? And will Ronaldo ever miss matches for us/portugal/or any other team he will moe ( if he does ) like cantona did...
erm ok...

i just dont understand this.

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:10 PM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
sarcasm mate...

I have been to europe probably a couple of times... that too while on journey from us to india. Neither do I have that much time nor money just to spend on going to the football match...

I have been to one oor two stadiums in US and one in india thats all..
what stadium in india was it?

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:15 PM
24hr Leavesey

Ronaldo can't be compared to Cantona because he simply doesn't inspire like the big man did. In that respect he can't even be compared to Beckham.

However, as a football player, he'll surpass them all and dare I say it - challenge Best if he sticks around long enough.

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:16 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
What? You're playing the "young" card again?

Let's turn it round. Will Ronaldo be as good for United as Eric was at his peak?

No. (He'll probably be at Madrid, will you cry?) Yes he is talented, but as mentioned, his awareness isn't quite there yet at times and I think he has started to play within himself again which is no way of mentoring Nani, I've noticed Nani now wants to hold the ball for 3 seconds longer which is infuriated. He needs to get back to his basics Ronaldo, i.e, destroy people with his skill and pace and look for his team mates and really play for the team, hence why we was so good last season.

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:21 PM
legendary saf

MUFC One love - some of his passing the other night was quite good, put Louis through several times and would easily had 2 or 3 assists to his name had Saha been a bit fresher. I'd say it was Ronaldo's best performance so far this season, was almost always involved which is how he was for most of last season.

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:33 PM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
What? You're playing the "young" card again?

Let's turn it round. Will Ronaldo be as good for United as Eric was at his peak?
will is future tense... nobody can predict it... when he does retire we can talk about the peak form...

as of now he is 22 and we know what was eric at 22. its easy to compare as you have seen both play.

where as nobody has or can see how ronaldo will play later on in his career...

I would love to see the smug look on your face when queiroz takes over and brings even more fantastic technical ability through european players... POR-TU-GAL....

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:37 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Ronaldo can't be compared to Cantona because he simply doesn't inspire like the big man did. In that respect he can't even be compared to Beckham.

However, as a football player, he'll surpass them all and dare I say it - challenge Best if he sticks around long enough.
Ronnie's definitely a more inspirational figure then Beckham. But comparing him to Cantona is unfair (on both players). Different players with the club in a different position. Eric arrived at a Club that hadn't won a title in 26 years and had been living on past glories for too long. He inspired a team (still suffering from surrendering the League to Leeds) to the summit of English football - a position we held for a decade. The effect he had on the likes of Giggs and Scholes is still being felt today.

Ronaldo came to a side in transition, and has developed into a key part of that team and our best player. There's a huge pressure to win things, but nothing like what we had to deal with in 1993. But I agree, by the end of his United career, he may very well be regarded as the most talented "flare" player we've ever had. But I doubt any player we sign will ever be held with the same affection as Eric – he was special.

By the way, I think he's played very well for most of this season. He's become much more of a goal thread in the last two seasons, which is a bonus.

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Rhodzy

Rooney inspires us more than Ronnie does.

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:50 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
Rooney inspires us more than Ronnie does.
The whole Rooney vs Ronnie debate some you idiots like to revel in is £#%&!ing pathetic.

I'm just glad I get to watch both of them playing in unison for United. It's a privilege.

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
The whole Rooney vs Ronnie debate some you idiots like to revel in is £#%&!ing pathetic.

I'm just glad I get to watch both of them playing in unison for United. It's a privilege.
I'm not going into a debate, I love them both.
No need to go OTT

Unread 29-11-2007, 05:03 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Certainly is. We'll be damn lucky to see the likes again in our natural lives.

Unread 29-11-2007, 05:09 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Certainly is. We'll be damn lucky to see the likes again in our natural lives.
It's great, innit?

I love the mix of the current United side. In Ronaldo and Rooney we have two of the best players on the planet. Then we have Giggs and Scholes. United Legends coming towards the end of their careers, but still ooze class. Cult heroes Evra and Vidic. Finally, hugely gifted youngsters in Nani, Pique (and in particular) Anderson.

Great times for United on the pitch.

Unread 29-11-2007, 05:12 PM
MUFC One Love

Anderson will be our biggest influence on the pitch over the next year or 2. With Rooney and Ronaldo.

We will have a trip of the world's finest and I can see many more trophies.

In fact I think I might love Anderson.

Unread 29-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Anderson will be our biggest influence on the pitch over the next year or 2. With Rooney and Ronaldo.

We will have a trip of the world's finest and I can see many more trophies.

In fact I think I might love Anderson.
Anderson seems pleased

Closed Thread