United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 01-11-2023, 11:45 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
He still says we "bought" Weghorst, despite being informed this is not true approximately 2,645,317 times now.
where did I say we bought him?

Unread 01-11-2023, 11:46 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
where did I say we bought him?
Poundland

Unread 01-11-2023, 11:47 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
He still says we "bought" Weghorst, despite being informed this is not true approximately 2,645,317 times now.
Struggling with comprehension would do this.

Unread 01-11-2023, 11:48 PM
puressence

Would have loved him to quit live on air. Out the players and the @#%&!s above. Genuinely £#%&!ing disgusting that. As bad as you can see anywhere. Will get £#%&! all at Fulham or in Denmark either.

Unread 01-11-2023, 11:54 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
I suppose there's a sort of grim fascination in seeing just how bad it can get now - spookily, the first season that I can remember anything of is our relegation one
Oddly enough, I keep thinking back to that season and the main thing that occurs to me is, although we knew the players were shit, it wasn’t their attitude that was galling, it was Busby and Edwards’ neglect of the team in preference to lining their own pockets. Here, we have owners lining their own pockets, some shit players, in addition to said shit players who don’t try and don’t give a shit. Most of them trousering around 1mil p/month

Wish it had been these £#%&!ers who died on the runway and not the Babes

Unread 02-11-2023, 12:07 AM
Sapien

Totally forgot this was on. Had a thoroughly enjoyable evening playing volleyball.

Unread 02-11-2023, 12:18 AM
Denis Irwell

Maybe they just wanted to dump this shit competition to save their poor, tired legs and focus on the big ones

Edit: big competitions, not legs

Unread 02-11-2023, 03:13 AM
Sheik JaBooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
This is quite obviously becoming untenable now.
You were talking about four years two days ago.

Unread 02-11-2023, 05:36 AM
guerreiro

Didn’t watch the game, presume it all went to plan and we’re all happy again

Unread 02-11-2023, 07:02 AM
croady26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
Time for Ancelotti is it?

We could do worse than Moyes, he’s doing well.

While there are people prepared to let the board and the players off by blaming the manager the cycle will continue.
That's who should have actually replaced Fergie

Unread 02-11-2023, 07:15 AM
MUFC One Love

I don’t even want to watch the team anymore. It’s dire.

Unread 02-11-2023, 07:38 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik JaBooty
I think it's the difference between what we think should happen and what we think will happen. He should get more time and the squad should be stripped of the players that believe they can (and do) dictate who the manager of the team is. But even people who believe that know that's not going to happen and the manager will get the sack sooner rather than later.

The way in which we've recruited and sacked managers is ridiculous. I think I posted the other week that if we sack ETH before the end of the season we'd have had 5 full time managers come and go in 10 seasons. I think it's 8 managers if you include caretakers but I could be missing one. Crazy.

I'd love to know what they say to managers when we bring them in to con them into thinking it's a good idea. Surely it can't be long until the penny drops and any respectable managers won't go near the job.

Unread 02-11-2023, 07:59 AM
Sheik JaBooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
I think it's the difference between what we think should happen and what we think will happen. He should get more time and the squad should be stripped of the players that believe they can (and do) dictate who the manager of the team is. But even people who believe that know that's not going to happen and the manager will get the sack sooner rather than later.

The way in which we've recruited and sacked managers is ridiculous. I think I posted the other week that if we sack ETH before the end of the season we'd have had 5 full time managers come and go in 10 seasons. I think it's 8 managers if you include caretakers but I could be missing one. Crazy.

I'd love to know what they say to managers when we bring them in to con them into thinking it's a good idea. Surely it can't be long until the penny drops and any respectable managers won't go near the job.
I think it's more logic vs emotion.

In a calm moment it might be reasonable to think in terms of 3 years, but the constant anger of having to suffer it week by week make the actual tolerance time more like 3 months; and anyone who thinks the supporters are not influenced by this mad campaign the press, tv and talking heads have against this club are on drugs. There is very little in the way of measured conversation to be had about United - it's like a pack of rabid dogs.

Unread 02-11-2023, 08:06 AM
Patty_b

Quote:

In a calm moment it might be reasonable to think in terms of 3 years, but the constant anger of having to suffer it week by week make the actual tolerance time more like 3 months;
That's fair. And actual performances dictate what will happen. I think he should get time but if we get knocked out of the Champions League and are sitting in the bottom half of the table, it's hard sell to convince people that he's still the right man for the job.

Quote:
and anyone who thinks the supporters are not influenced by this mad campaign the press, tv and talking heads have against this club are on drugs. There is very little in the way of measured conversation to be had about United - it's like a pack of rabid dogs.
Agreed.

Unread 02-11-2023, 08:07 AM
believe

Quote:

In a calm moment it might be reasonable to think in terms of 3 years, but the constant anger of having to suffer it week by week make the actual tolerance time more like 3 months; and anyone who thinks the supporters are not influenced by this mad campaign the press, tv and talking heads have against this club are on drugs. There is very little in the way of measured conversation to be had about United - it's like a pack of rabid dogs.
I think we all agree that a manager, whoever it is needs 3-4 years to make the necessary changes but Erik, like his predecessors have to undo all their own mistakes in the second and third years.

If Erik is still here next season he has to replace 90% of his own signings, with what? 10 more signings that 90% need replacing the following season? That’s not implementing a plan, that’s just making it up as you go along. I’m pretty certain most of us on here could do that’.

Unread 02-11-2023, 09:01 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Yep. Unfortunately now with the way football is and the money involved you need the recruitment properly nailed the first time round. Never going to be 100% of course but needs to be 60/70.

You’re always going to get peaks and troughs but if the core of the new signings are successful that brings some of the previous underperformers with them. Match that to a style or plan and even though it’s ups and downs players buy into it as do supporters and you get through the bad periods.

However when the vast majority flop and you start to lose the confidence of the group and like believe says you’re looking at changing the majority of your signings - when it’s so toxic there’s not much appetite or too much risk aversion to let the same guy that’s just got us here go at it again with another 3/400m.

I’m not saying that’s what should happen btw. Who knows, but I think that’s why most incumbents get moved. it was probably just as likely Moyes did what LVG did if parallel universes played out.

Football would have been better probably…

Unread 02-11-2023, 11:51 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Please don’t mistake what I want to happen with the reality of what is actually happening.

I think he should be given another couple of years at least. But results and performances cannot just continue to get worse in perpetuity. Eventually the club will act as they have done in the past.

Unread 02-11-2023, 11:53 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I think we all agree that a manager, whoever it is needs 3-4 years to make the necessary changes but Erik, like his predecessors have to undo all their own mistakes in the second and third years.

If Erik is still here next season he has to replace 90% of his own signings, with what? 10 more signings that 90% need replacing the following season? That’s not implementing a plan, that’s just making it up as you go along. I’m pretty certain most of us on here could do that’.

Unread 02-11-2023, 12:19 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Please don’t mistake what I want to happen with the reality of what is actually happening.

I think he should be given another couple of years at least. But results and performances cannot just continue to get worse in perpetuity. Eventually the club will act as they have done in the past.
Yep.

What we should do and what we will do are not the same thing.

Someone mentioned it elsewhere, but there will come a point where the needs of short term overtake the long term plan. And we won’t be too far away from that now.

He needs results very badly and immediately.

Two wins in the next seven days could buy him a few more months. Two defeats and he might be gone.

Unread 02-11-2023, 12:23 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Yep.

What we should do and what we will do are not the same thing.

Someone mentioned it elsewhere, but there will come a point where the needs of short term overtake the long term plan. And we won’t be too far away from that now.

He needs results very badly and immediately.

Two wins in the next seven days could buy him a few more months. Two defeats and he might be gone.
I can only imagine Arnold and Murtaugh are scrambling around behind the scenes flapping like a pair of startled pigeons. It'll be interesting to see what they do because Arnold talked the big talk when he came in about not being like Woodward, let's see if has the courage of his convictions.