United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 02-12-2023, 11:53 PM
red in cumbria

Burnley scored 5 of their goals today tbf, they won't be playing Sheffield United at home every week.

And calamitous as our CL campaign has been, it hasn't been for lack of goals - we could end up scoring the most ever for an eliminated side. So at the very least, this EtH side isn't *inherently incapable* of scoring.

Unread 02-12-2023, 11:55 PM
Zorg

Not beaten one decent team this season. ‘The league’s in-form team’ after beating Sheffield United, Luton, Everton, Lapland and Cefn Druids AFC. Whoopee £#%&!ing do. The players hate being there, aren’t motivated and don’t care.
I thought ten Hag could build on league cup + champions league qualification, he obviously can’t, but I’ve no idea where we go from here.

Unread 02-12-2023, 11:55 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Burnley scored 5 of their goals today tbf, they won't be playing Sheffield United at home every week.
Can always count on ric to make you feel better about everything

Unread 02-12-2023, 11:56 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
We’ve played Sheffield United too. Shortly after they shipped EIGHT to Newcastle. It took a late 25 yarder to beat them.

Unread 02-12-2023, 11:57 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
We’ve played Sheffield United too. Shortly after they shipped EIGHT to Newcastle. It took a late 25 yarder to beat them.
Can always count on Dr Stranger to make you feel worse about everything

Unread 02-12-2023, 11:58 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Because we missed chance after chance, sound familiar?

(but again, contrast with our CL scoring form - is it really a mental thing I wonder)

Unread 02-12-2023, 11:59 PM
silv

give it a rest riccers there’s no defending this

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:01 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Not beaten one decent team this season. ‘The league’s in-form team’ after beating Sheffield United, Luton, Everton, Lapland and Cefn Druids AFC. Whoopee £#%&!ing do. The players hate being there, aren’t motivated and don’t care.
I thought ten Hag could build on league cup + champions league qualification, he obviously can’t, but I’ve no idea where we go from here.
The concern is that we’re going backwards. We look poorer in every department. We don’t have the level of injuries we had and yet it still isn’t really improving. Signs of some of the forwards starting to click with a few goals this week and then back to that today.

This needs to stop too. Last season, he was very blunt. We’d win and he’d say we weren’t great. Now he’ll say he we played well when we didn’t. We didn’t ‘score’ a goal today and we didn’t create a single presentable chance. We had a little ‘ah, might as well’ swing in the last ten minutes, like a lower league team in an FA Cup tie.

Were we in the game by the virtue of Newcastle’s generous finishing and nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Can always count on Dr Stranger to make you feel worse about everything
Got some XG stats for Bunks later too.

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:03 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
give it a rest riccers there’s no defending this
But *why* is there such a contrast between our PL and CL goal scoring exploits?

Its surely at least a question worth asking.

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:03 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Because we missed chance after chance, sound familiar?

(but again, contrast with our CL scoring form - is it really a mental thing I wonder)
No. It doesn’t actually. I don’t associate this side with missing chance after chance, as if that’s skewing the stats.

We beat a very poor team by a very small margin. Like Luton. Like Burnley in fact, like every game bar last weekend. Sound familiar?

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:04 AM
silv

Quote:

It’s surely at least a question worth asking.
They can only get it up for Zadok the Priest

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:05 AM
NedKelly

Quote:

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:06 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
No. It doesn’t actually. I don’t associate this side with missing chance after chance, as if that’s skewing the stats.

We beat a very poor team by a very small margin. Like Luton. Like Burnley in fact, like every game bar last weekend. Sound familiar?
In some cases we genuinely eked out wins, yes - but we also missed lots of chances against both Sheffield United and Luton.

We also had major decisions go against us in both the Spurs and Arsenal games.

There's no excuse for showings like tonight, but let's get a bit of perspective.

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:07 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

I think the answer is that we played our best football of the season for spells in the champions league. We started well at home to Gala. Away to Copenhagen. Away midweek. In those spells, we were also clinical.

We didn’t do it for long though and there was plenty of panic and chaos thrown in there too.

The Bayern scoreline was flattering. We were never in that game once we went behind.

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:08 AM
VanHaaksbergen

edit: cba

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:09 AM
jem

Quote:
In some cases we genuinely eked out wins, yes - but we also missed lots of chances against both Sheffield United and Luton.

There's no excuse for showings like tonight, but let's get a bit of perspective.
it's been a bit of everything - injuries, shit refs, bad luck, bad tactics, bad decisions....

but we don't control the things we can control. and there's no excuse for that.

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:15 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:

What’s the perspective? Are you suggesting we should have better score lines and results based on performance? If so, i strongly disagree.

As much as you can claim that we could have won by more against Sheffield United and Luton, you could just as easily claim we never should have beaten Wolves, we could have conceded at Burnley early on, we were never looking like winning at Fulham until Bruno scored and Everton missed some very presentable chances last week. And Copenhagen missed a 96th minute penalty at Old Trafford.

If we’re talking perspective, I think we’ve had far better results than performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHaaksbergen
edit: cba
Marcus?…

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:19 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it's been a bit of everything - injuries, shit refs, bad luck, bad tactics, bad decisions....

Yes, that is a pretty fair summary.

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:26 AM
Dr Stranger

I’d also like to take a moment to say again that I absolutely hate this Newcastle side. They really aren’t that good. Just an amped up rock ‘em sock ‘em bunch of giddy @#%&!s, underlined by their failure to show any composure to a kill a game they should have won inside half an hour.

That’s still more than we can handle, but they’re a nasty bunch of cynical bastards and ofcourse the most idiotic fans in the country

Unread 03-12-2023, 12:26 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

First three you get every season.