United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-06-2016, 12:30 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Said the same during the game Though given they have the two top goalscorers in the Premier League, plus Sturridge and our two main goal threats, it's a little less believable that they make it look quite this hard.
Louis Van Hodgson with his ineffectual baffling substitutions, glacial posession football and total lack end product, I thought you'd be salivating over it.

Unread 21-06-2016, 12:33 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Louis Van Hodgson with his ineffectual baffling substitutions, glacial posession football and total lack end product, I thought you'd be salivating over it.
LvG's last sub won us the FA Cup

Nah, we couldn't score goals largely because Rooney was shit and we didn't have enough firepower. They're overloaded with strikers.

Agree somewhat with Jem regarding Vardy, but overall I think they probably still lack a little individual guile.

Should have won the game, mind.

Unread 21-06-2016, 12:48 AM
Sparky***

Quote:

Nah, we couldn't score goals largely because Rooney was shit and we didn't have enough firepower. They're overloaded with strikers.

Agree somewhat with Jem regarding Vardy, but overall I think they probably still lack a little individual guile.

Yeah but then I suppose you have to remember that you're dealing with arguably the worst crop of England players many of us have seen in our lifetime. Sure, they may have scored a load of goals in the Premier League but given it's shocking drop in over all standard and English Clubs abysmal showing in Europe in the last few years it's not exactly surprising they get found out against fairly average international opposition. Leicester City are our reigning £#%&!ing champions. That's our £#%&!ing standard bearers right there.

From a generation that grew up watching Gascoigne, Robson, Lineker, Adams, Neville, Waddle, Shearer, Sheringham, Ince, Scholes, Beckham etc...you have to say, sitting there watching Jordan £#%&!ing Henderson and Adam Lallana shit @#%&! it up all over the place is confirmation we've just about reached a new low in terms of quality of player. People big up Wales' achievement and rightly so but it does help when you have one of the top 5 players in world football in your side.

Unread 21-06-2016, 12:51 AM
jem

Quote:

I expect we'll see "england vardy" a lot at arsenal.

hodgson relying on lallana and henderson.

maybe can't blame hodgson entirely for the fact that kane looks like a £#%&!ing donkey, but everything else is his fault. obvs, I will never be happy seeing an infestation of liverpool players, but wtaf, woy?

Unread 21-06-2016, 01:12 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Yeah but then I suppose you have to remember that you're dealing with arguably the worst crop of England players many of us have seen in our lifetime. Sure, they may have scored a load of goals in the Premier League but given it's shocking drop in over all standard and English Clubs abysmal showing in Europe in the last few years it's not exactly surprising they get found out against fairly average international opposition. Leicester City are our reigning £#%&!ing champions. That's our £#%&!ing standard bearers right there.

From a generation that grew up watching Gascoigne, Robson, Lineker, Adams, Neville, Waddle, Shearer, Sheringham, Ince, Scholes, Beckham etc...you have to say, sitting there watching Jordan £#%&!ing Henderson and Adam Lallana shit @#%&! it up all over the place is confirmation we've just about reached a new low in terms of quality of player. People big up Wales' achievement and rightly so but it does help when you have one of the top 5 players in world football in your side.
True. No special players really now that Rooney is on the decline. CB pairing average, central midfield (apart from Dier who I like the look of and could go on to be a player) and forwards are decent but nothing to terrify other sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I expect we'll see "england vardy" a lot at arsenal.

hodgson relying on lallana and henderson.

maybe can't blame hodgson entirely for the fact that kane looks like a £#%&!ing donkey, but everything else is his fault. obvs, I will never be happy seeing an infestation of liverpool players, but wtaf, woy?
Not sure why Henderson stayed on tbh. He's a decent player who runs about a lot, but against defensive sides when you've already got Dier and a pretty mobile defensive pairing, surely you'd take more of a risk and get a Barkley or Rashford on for him.

Not a fan of Hodsgon but you also have to ask questions of the players. I thought they'd be more lively in the group phase.

Performances have been by no means terrible and it's a likeable side. Can't see them beating anyone decent though.

Unread 21-06-2016, 07:27 AM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
That's it exactly

That goal he scored in the Europa League final was brilliant. But he does it every three months. The rest of the time he huffs and puffs, and he's so obviously fallen for his own hype it's embarrassing.
Besides, players who dance when they score should be banned for life anyway.
Would be funny if he did a Muamba in the middle of one of his dances.

Unread 21-06-2016, 07:32 AM
puressence

love the aftermath of an England game

Unread 21-06-2016, 07:38 AM
no fun

Quote:
This is the most likeable English side I can remember and they play some nice bits and pieces, but £#%&! me they make incredibly hard work of average sides. Could see them beating Portugal if Ronaldo plays like he has been, but no chance of doing a good side.

Dier is good, though. Probably should have bought him.
Likeable ?

Sturridge, Clyne, joe shouty hart, hendo, lallana, sterling......likeable ?

Unread 21-06-2016, 07:44 AM
TheFatGoth

Stuart Pearce was asked on the radio yesterday about Henderson's qualities, and no word of a lie this was his answer... "he's driven, works hard, gives everything and has a reasonable passing range. He almost reminds me of a young James Milner."

Unread 21-06-2016, 07:47 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Likeable ?

Sturridge, Clyne, joe shouty hart, hendo, lallana, sterling......likeable ?
Now compare to watching Cole, Terry, Carragher, Gerrard, Lampard and Owen. Even talentless @#%&!s like David Batty and Danny Mills have represented them at World Cups ffs. This lot are nowhere near as bad, and they actually try to play football.

If anything they might be a bit too nice on the pitch.

The only player in this side who really bothers me is that tedious cringing @#%&! Hart. It's a world away from hating half the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Stuart Pearce was asked on the radio yesterday about Henderson's qualities, and no word of a lie this was his answer... "he's driven, works hard, gives everything and has a reasonable passing range. He almost reminds me of a young James Milner."
Quickly running out of qualities

Bit like when Alan Hansen used to say players were quick and had pace.

Unread 21-06-2016, 07:51 AM
no fun

Quote:
Now compare to watching Cole, Terry, Carragher, Gerrard, Lampard and Owen. Even talentless c***s like David Batty and Danny Mills have represented them at World Cups ffs. This lot are nowhere near as bad, and they actually try to play football.

If anything they might be a bit too nice on the pitch.

The only player in this side who really bothers me is that tedious cringing c*** Hart. It's a world away from hating half the side.

Quickly running out of qualities

Bit like when Alan Hansen used to say players were quick and had pace.
Maybe it's just me then, the minute I see them singing gstq I literally seethe and shake with rage

Unread 21-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
love the aftermath of an England game
I do, its nice to realise that no one actually cares a great deal. We can want them to win but we can all have a good pop when/if they lose. No ones really bothered. I enjoyed shouting at the useless scousers last night

Unread 21-06-2016, 08:19 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Maybe it's just me then, the minute I see them singing gstq I literally seethe and shake with rage
You're unlikely to find many England sides very likeable then, tbf.

Likeable almost certainly was the wrong word, though.

Unread 21-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Tiberian

Have to agree with the praise for Dier, quietly impressive. Passes the ball extremely well, is not obsessed with the long ball to the wing like most post Beckham/Scholes English midfielders. Reminds me a little of Carrick in how he finds passing angles through the opposing midfield, interesting to see how well he does against a more aggressive press.

A lot of negativity around this England side but I actually think they have been one of the more ambitious sides at this tournament. Have not quite found the mix in attacking players yet but the full backs are very aggressive, midfielders are pushing on and in spells they have looked very promising. More Rashford though, Vardy might be of use in a counter attacking side but he offers little in a more expansive style.

Unread 21-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Baron

It's actually quite difficult for Portugal to finish 2nd & get England in the next round...

They win, they top the group providing Iceland don't beat Austria by more goals than they beat Hungary.

They draw, then a victor in the Iceland game puts them 3rd. Otherwise they would have to have a higher scoring draw than Iceland. Lose and they are 3rd regardless.

It's a weird one as someone said earlier one could argue coming 2nd is better. It could be that Wales play Czech Republic and we play Iceland which is by all means an easier draw.

The likelihood is if England get past the next round is France in the 1/4's - Wales, if they get through, would have Italy. Not like you'd fancy either much regardless of where we finished is it? & Wales are most likely to get the Czech's in the next round as well which certainly doesn't seem like a better proposition than Hungary or Iceland to me.

Either way, an England side that reaches the 1/4's is what I'd expect given there are plenty of better sides in the competition.

As for the group stages, the opposition was universally £#%&! & we weren't clinical. Kane & Alli both look utterly knackered, no great surprise given their seasons. It's the same old shit.

Unread 21-06-2016, 08:28 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Have to agree with the praise for Dier, quietly impressive. Passes the ball extremely well, is not obsessed with the long ball to the wing like most post Beckham/Scholes English midfielders. Reminds me a little of Carrick in how he finds passing angles through the opposing midfield, interesting to see how well he does against a more aggressive press.

A lot of negativity around this England side but I actually think they have been one of the more ambitious sides at this tournament. Have not quite found the mix in attacking players yet but the full backs are very aggressive, midfielders are pushing on and in spells they have looked very promising. More Rashford though, Vardy might be of use in a counter attacking side but he offers little in a more expansive style.
Don't think they've particularly got players good at finding space between the lines. And tbf when Lallana does do it well he tends to £#%&! it up. Wilshere was very poor last night but the minutes may have done him good. Gets a lot of stick but a unique talent in the squad imo.

I saw Dier a fair bit for Sporting and I must say he's surprising me. Pochettino done more for England than Hodgson so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
It's actually quite difficult for Portugal to finish 2nd & get England in the next round...

They win, they top the group providing Iceland don't beat Austria by more goals than they beat Hungary.

They draw, then a victor in the Iceland game puts them 3rd. Otherwise they would have to have a higher scoring draw than Iceland. Lose and they are 3rd regardless.

It's a weird one as someone said earlier one could argue coming 2nd is better. It could be that Wales play Czech Republic and we play Iceland which is by all means an easier draw.

The likelihood is if England get past the next round is France in the 1/4's - Wales, if they get through, would have Italy. Not like you'd fancy either much regardless of where we finished is it? & Wales are most likely to get the Czech's in the next round as well which certainly doesn't seem like a better proposition than Hungary or Iceland to me.

Either way, an England side that reaches the 1/4's is what I'd expect given there are plenty of better sides in the competition.

As for the group stages, the opposition was universally £#%&! & we weren't clinical. Kane & Alli both look utterly knackered, not great surprise given their seasons. It's the same old shit.
I'm unsure still on both France and Italy. Just can't see Italy having the firepower, although if Insigne comes in against ROI and does well he could add a new dimension. France to me look disjointed and Deschamps indecisive; I'm predicting early KO heartbreak.

Can't help thinking Spain are going to comfortably pass their way to the title.

Unread 21-06-2016, 08:44 AM
jem

I fear the word likeable may come back to haunt siders.

hodgson is magnolia, sturridge is a @#%&! and lallana and henderdon are averagely average. cahill is a liabilty too. hart? it is better not to speak of him.

our wing-backs are more exciting, but they have to be when we have no wingers. yes, dier has looked good. rashers too. :0)

Unread 21-06-2016, 09:03 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
I do, its nice to realise that no one actually cares a great deal. We can want them to win but we can all have a good pop when/if they lose. No ones really bothered. I enjoyed shouting at the useless scousers last night
I honestly don't want them to win

Unread 21-06-2016, 09:03 AM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
agree. speaks volumes for england's evolution though; finally building a side around that role when everyone else has been doing it for the last ten years.

Unread 21-06-2016, 09:15 AM
dunk

Closed Thread