United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-02-2012, 10:35 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Mourinho was only asked to do one thing, build a team to win the European Cup, he did that.

Inter are desperate for a long-term manager (For example, Conte @ Juve) who will bring an identify and a fresh outlook.
£#%&! me, if he needs somebody to do his pr he'll know where to look.

i'm sure the inter board told him specifically to build a team that would have a life of around two years before collapsing dramatically.

Unread 26-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
£#%&! me, if he needs somebody to do his pr he'll know where to look.

i'm sure the inter board told him specifically to build a team that would have a life of around two years before collapsing dramatically.
A smidge incongruous to his contribution, no? He was only there 2 years, how do you build / dismantle something like that ? He got Eto'o + £35m for Zlatan, not like he'd just spent hundreds of millions & everyone was 31, Sneijder for £15m & if they'd of sold him for £30m it would have made perfect sense, they're just a badly run club.

He did the Treble, phenomenal achievement with a team that only ever went to CL quarter finals & were the only team to find a way to beat Barca in the last three years in that competition.

Winning the league in Portugal, England, Italy & soon Spain plus 2 CL's at different clubs (& potentially a third this year) is £#%&!ing ridiculous.

He's a @#%&! & gets given fortunes to spend, but he's a unbelievable coach. If he found somewhere that wasn't a circus he'd probably stay for longer, but look at where he's coached & who's come knocking.

Unread 26-02-2012, 10:50 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
i think mourinho knew the side was going to be on the slide just as he knew he'd be offski. he hardly prepared for the future there either.
Harsh. He was very vocal about changing the club's attitude towards developing their own players.

Quote:
"We need to worry about the future, not only the present, and it’s necessary to look to the youth academy. Even if the team will lose something in terms of experience, it will improve in other aspects.

“The foundations of a squad must be made up of elements from that country, even if that means spending two or three years without trophies. When that is done, you have to invest at the right time on the right players, then you’ll achieve great results.”

“Inter are a traditional club who year after year follow the same path with few Italians and no real experience for the youngsters.

“This is not the mentality I want for my club. The next few months will be crucial in building a joint philosophy of football. Not the views of [President Massimo] Moratti or Mourinho, but a united approach.

“The fans will understand and the proof of that is in [Davide] Santon, who in two months has become a special figure in their hearts.”
It's very difficult to blood young inexperienced players at the big Italian clubs, but he definitely made the gap between the academy and the first-team squad smaller during those two years. Lots of youngsters popped up around the first team and he launched Santon's career and showed incredible patience with Balotelli at times.

Unread 26-02-2012, 10:59 PM
borsuk

i'm not suggesting mourinho is anything other than a great coach ffs. don't think he's above criticism either is all, which is the impression i get from some on here who seem desperate to defend/make excuses for him any time the slightest criticism threatens to rear its head

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:03 PM
The Watcher

TBR is correct, Massimo Moratti brought Mourinho in to win the European Cup. Read any of his interviews from that period. Add to that, Inter have no tradition of 'bringing through' youngsters. They've consistently spent heavily every few years to rejuvenate the team. Not really sure how you can blame a manager who was there for two years for the institutional failings of the club, over which he had little control.

Fat Benny inherited a decent squad, certainly good enough to retain the Scudetto. But unfortunately for them, he was a monumental %@#$&!.

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher

Fat Benny inherited a decent squad, certainly good enough to retain the Scudetto. But unfortunately for them, he was a monumental %@#$&!.

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs down

Quote:
i'm not suggesting mourinho is anything other than a great coach ffs. don't think he's above criticism either is all, which is the impression i get from some on here who seem desperate to defend/make excuses for him any time the slightest criticism threatens to rear its head
Hate those lads

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:06 PM
borsuk

Quote:
TBR is correct, Massimo Moratti brought Mourinho in to win the European Cup. Read any of his interviews from that period. Add to that, Inter have no tradition of 'bringing through' youngsters. They've consistently spent heavily every few years to rejuvenate the team. Not really sure how you can blame a manager who was there for two years for the institutional failings of the club, over which he had little control.

well it appears from s/side's quote that mourinho did think he was supposed to rejuvenate the club/the academy/bring in more italians etc. and he said it might even mean three years without trophies. i'm actually taking him at his word, he certainly knew it needed doing and said three years - he had two, but then decided to £#%&! off, of course.

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Baron

Quote:
well it appears from s/side's quote that mourinho did think he was supposed to rejuvenate the club/the academy/bring in more italians etc. and he said it might even mean three years without trophies. i'm actually taking him at his word, he certainly knew it needed doing and said three years - he had two, but then decided to £#%&! off, of course.
I suspect he assessed the situation & thought Real Madrid would be a better place to work.

Inter isn't exactly a club renowned for managers sticking around. Neither has Chelsea been, & who would want to stay in Portugal? It's more a matter of conduit, the game ain't the same - Fergie & Wenger & Moyes are at the right clubs. Mourinho has just (usually) got his timing right.

To be honest, do you think any Inter fans give much of a toss about the state of their (shit) youth system after winning the Treble ?

We're spoiled at United with Fergie, & to be honest as ridiculous as the sack race is here as well we're spoiled in England with the approach to longevity with Wenger, Moyes, Fatty got 6 years or so at Liverpool & Pulis has been doing it for 4 or 5 years as well... not many leagues where managers stick around for any amount of time. Mourinho's crime seems to be acting like a massive @#%&!, spending fortunes & winning everything.

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:33 PM
andyroo

Quote:

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:37 PM
dunk

So, basically, WS has actually been a top player for about 6 months of his career?

At least I gave him 12-18 months

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:42 PM
red in cumbria

And don't forget, that treble included winning the ultimate European prize for the first time in 45 YEARS.

I think that most Inter fans look on him more fondly than borsers does, tbh

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
So, basically, WS has actually been a top player for about 6 months of his career?

At least I gave him 12-18 months
you're £#%&!ing loving this aren't you? The man's in a crisis for £#%&!'s sake.

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:44 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
you're £#%&!ing loving this aren't you? The man's in a crisis for £#%&!'s sake.
Loving's a bit strong. I reckon if Inter let us have him for about £5-10m and he took a wage more fitting with his abilities/performances, say, £65k a week, Fergie could rejuvenate his career

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:47 PM
borsuk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Inter isn't exactly a club renowned for managers sticking around. Neither has Chelsea been, & who would want to stay in Portugal?
yeah, but apart from those he's been loyal and long-term everywhere he's been

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
yeah, but apart from those he's been loyal and long-term everywhere he's been
alright genius, who would you have replace fergie? Or maybe we shouldn't bother and when he dies we can let a £#%&!ing tarot reader come in a pick the teams every week....

"In goal...SAM WHEAT!!!"

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:51 PM
dunk

Quote:
alright genius, who would you have replace fergie? Or maybe we shouldn't bother and when he dies we can let a £#%&!ing tarot reader come in a pick the teams every week....

"In goal...SAM WHEAT!!!"
I reckon we just shut the doors when Fergie goes. May as well, no £#%&!ers following him and there's £#%&! all chance of anyone else keeping the club competitive with the current @#%&!ing owners.

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:52 PM
borsuk

Quote:

"In goal...SAM WHEAT!!!"
no

£#%&!ing

idea

mourinho is a great coach, nqat. who knows, maybe he would see united as a different kind of challenge and do things differently. he's not going to come without a massive transfer budget though so it doesn't really matter.

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Sparky***

Well, that's cut me down.

Unread 26-02-2012, 11:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
mourinho is a great coach, nqat. who knows, maybe he would see united as a different kind of challenge and do things differently. he's not going to come without a massive transfer budget though so it doesn't really matter.
I think you might be surprised at just how desperate he is to manage United. He hasn't been kissing Fergie's arse constantly for the best part of the last decade for nothing
Closed Thread